Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Update On Genesee County Park

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
UAS operators will congregate at the Genesee County Park where group member (Part 107 operator) Jason Harrison was detained, ticketed and had his equipment confiscated for legally flying a drone. The Genesee County Park has an anti-drone ordinance that is in direct violation of Michigan State's MCL 259.305 law that prohibits a political subdivision from creating or enforcing any ordinance regarding the operation of UAS. Today we will be meeting with an attorney to discuss the options and costs of seeking a declaratory judgement and we'll have at least some who are willing to fly and face enforcement actions to get this issue in front of prosecutors and a judge.

We'll look to have a full report after the event and there may be a GoFundMe legal fund created to take the next steps in a declaratory judgement process. What happens with this action and Michigan's UAS preemption will be highly critical nationally given that 16 other states have invoked similar language in following Michigan's lead. This can set the tone for those other states and assure that local ordinances are indeed nullified.

So on the day this was to happen they closed the park LOL

Jason Harrison
Mysteriously, the park had an unscheduled closure today.
The park system is 11,000 acres and they cannot close them all.
We landed at one of their nearby parks.
Had a great picnic came up with a great strategy to solve this issue.
Nobody got arrested or cited today.

Vic Moss
So they closed the park you all were going to fly at?

Jason Harrison
Yes.
It was a big disappointment to other patrons. There were at least two separate trailers full of horses that arrived to find the park closed. What a disappointment to load your horses and haul them however many miles only to arrive and find the park closed.
No big deal for us, there was another park in this same system within about 3 miles. So we went there instead.

Ryan J. Latourette
A longer summary will follow, but the overall basic is that despite a heavy police presence (and I do mean quite heavy - nearly one officer for each attendee) there were no detentions and no tickets. But drone flight directly at the event was also not witnessed by the park officers. It was, however, agreed that the next logical step is to seek a declaratory judgement. There are some options to be considered in such.
Drone image of their park headquarters (location of their police force).

I’m seeing more and more “No Drones” signs in N. Calif. County and State land that it NOT a park, game/forest refuge. Whether or not the prohibition is supported by actual law seems irrelevant...

The city/counties here are the same in following the trend...

Federal Parks - no drones.
State Parks - no drones
County Parks - no drones
City Parks - no drones

Any other land the city or county owns that is not "public parks" -- is no trespassing.

Seems everyone thinks they have the same legal grounds -- to dictate drone use.

I find this story hilarious too! Closing a park or city down because they do not want to deal with something is childish and shows the sad state of affairs most of this country is in. They are not the first to act this way. They will not be the last.

This is something like a high school mentality -- are the residents of Genesee County sure these people are qualified to run their county?

There are too many people who think they have control to dictate how you live and what you do -- and they get away with it to the point that there is no freedom left anywhere -- anymore. Welcome to the U S of A.

I have a suggestion since Trump says our country is full - no more immigration. How about ship people running Genesee County (and people like them)-- out of the country?

We do not need these type of people ruining it for everyone else -- any longer. Of course they could all be voted out -- but good luck there! That is where you will really find the butt kissing and other corruptions taking place.

Reactions: UnRanged
I painted my EVO pink, and now it identifies as a pretty little girl. And NO ONE is going to tell my pretty little girl that she can't fly!.. Another thing I've done is started wearing makeup and women's dresses when I fly. I still get the strange looks that we all get, but NO ONE is approaching me now that I've adopted these methods. Oh... And y'all'd be surprised how convenient these purse things are for spare props and things.

The city/counties here are the same in following the trend...

Federal Parks - no drones.
State Parks - no drones
County Parks - no drones
City Parks - no drones

Any other land the city or county owns that is not "public parks" -- is no trespassing.

Seems everyone thinks they have the same legal grounds -- to dictate drone use.

I find this story hilarious too! Closing a park or city down because they do not want to deal with something is childish and shows the sad state of affairs most of this country is in. They are not the first to act this way. They will not be the last.

This is something like a high school mentality -- are the residents of Genesee County sure these people are qualified to run their county?

There are too many people who think they have control to dictate how you live and what you do -- and they get away with it to the point that there is no freedom left anywhere -- anymore. Welcome to the U S of A.

I have a suggestion since Trump says our country is full - no more immigration. How about ship people running Genesee County (and people like them)-- out of the country?

We do not need these type of people ruining it for everyone else -- any longer. Of course they could all be voted out -- but good luck there! That is where you will really find the butt kissing and other corruptions taking place.

... Time to start heating the tar and plucking the chickens? I'll get the pots out...

I'll just innocently misinterpret their advances and politely decline their solicitations... Then what? they're going to retaliate with frivolous charges?... They'd never be able to show their face in public again. All because I wouldn't give them my number...."Oh, my Drone's number?... Innocent mistake...Thought you meant MY number officers..." Sorry I posted that stuff to facebook...LOL

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials