Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Take Off Button on Smart Controller Version 1 or Version 2???

Dale EVO 2 V2

Reaction score
Take Off Button on Smart Controller Version 1 or Version 2???

I just got the Version 2 EVO 2 Pro 6K V. 2 and the Smart Controller V. 2 and to my surprise, unlike the regular controller there is no up or down button for take off???

I called Autel Robotics in Washington state and they had to check with their "engineer tech" and sure enough the Smart Controller Version 2 has no up or down button on the controller to raise the drone from the ground. They said the ONLY WAY to raise the drone from the ground was to crank the two joy sticks downwards and inwards to spin up the motors then use the elevation button to get the drone off the ground.

DOESN'T THIS SEEM LIKE A BACKWARDS STEP WHEN THEY HAD IT ON THE VERSION 2 SMART BASIC CONTROLLER AND NOT ON THE VERSION 2 SMART CONTROLLER???

There is about 4 inches below each joy stick to stick a takeoff and land button. That is plenty of real estate to put in one button wouldn't you think? I guess they were going for the clean look and to heck with functionality.

The person who worked at Autel that helped me when asking the tech said other people should complain and they may put it on the list to make a C1 or C2 button functional to take off or land your craft. They also said they would like a takeoff button on the controller as well. You would think they would have asked those questions before making the new smart controller.

Not sure if they have that button on the Version 1 Smart Controller? Would be curious to find out if anyone has a V. 1 S.C.?

I don't see a take off button on my v1 sc and I would think the sc for both v1 and v2 are identical in hardware.

yes I do. for all of my drones including the ones that have a dedicated button. usually you have to hold down the button (or press and hold in software) and I haven't found any value in combining motor starts plus lift to hover. I can see if you hand launch and you need one-hand capabilities but I don't hand launch, especially not the evo2 with sc.

Well well. The V1 of that controller also has no automatic takeoff button. It is the professional way to manually spin up the engines and make a human decide what is the best moment to go up the air or cancel the takeoff. Having the engines spin on the ground is also a good way to double check if all systems are working as expected before lifting up. So I see removing an automatic takeoff button from this pro device as a step up to more professional use.

Next thing is to practice manual lading your drone more and try to only use the return to home function as a last resort for when you have lost sight of it (that shouldn't officially happen according to regulations) as IMU, compass and GPS under rare circumstances can get compromised and make an auto-return impossible. It will give you a good feeling to manually land it better, nicer and faster than the software does it for you.

I understand the smart controller is to wide for a single handed operation of two sticks. 🤔

As for hand launching or landing, I would only do this together with a trained assistant, yet having four eyes and four hands on site is maybe luxury for some of us operating in the field alone. Can't you program the custom buttons to do an auto takeoff for you the way you need it?

Enjoy your smart controller!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58