Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Starting To See More Night Time Photos

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
I see guys are posting night or twilight photos. Although the look pretty nice there is still a lot of noise in them. This is where this camera would have benefited the 1" sensor.
Not my photos, just examples floating around on Autels Facebook page.

36810608_10212502633220437_6476143446313664512_n.jpg 36802694_10212502633340440_1421516291008626688_n.jpg 36843120_2024776467546828_1750636576884391936_n.jpg

Not at all. I really do not think I will be getting anything new this year. Waiting till all the bugs get worked out. I can fly my X-Star for another year. I don't fly as much as I used to anyways.

Not at all. I really do not think I will be getting anything new this year. Waiting till all the bugs get worked out. I can fly my X-Star for another year. I don't fly as much as I used to anyways.
I'm not flying as much either, I guess the thrill is gone. I thought maybe Autel would give you one to try out and review, cuz you da man!

I would like something smaller, just for the convience.

I think they look pretty darn good. I know they aren't yours, but have they been edited in any way? I'd check Facebook, but I can't bring myself to sign up for that crapola... I know, I'm old and behind the times...

Hey OBD did you ever get that follow me question answered? I been meaning to go out and give it a try but just have not yet got around to it.

Hey OBD did you ever get that follow me question answered? I been meaning to go out and give it a try but just have not yet got around to it.
Nope, never did. See if you can get it to follow you around at about ten feet off the ground.

DadCorso, you're not Lee Corso's dad are you? If so, you're really old.:D
LOL! No, I am not quite that old, but feel like it some days. I was nicknamed that because I could do a pretty decent vocal impersonation of good ole "Sunshine Scooter"!

LOL! No, I am not quite that old, but feel like it some days. I was nicknamed that because I could do a pretty decent vocal impersonation of good ole "Sunshine Scooter"!
Ahhh, OK.
Hey, not too long now and he will be making his fearless predictions again.

So went over to the baseball field this afternoon for a follow me test. I can say I have never used this before on the X-Star. So for the first test it went up to 32-33 feet. I could bring it down to 20 feet but it would just shot right back up. OK so I ended that one, got bite by a few mosquitoes and tried again. This time it went up to 38-39 feet and and trying to lower it just shot right back up to to 38-39 feet. Makes no sense to me as to why it would have been different then the first.

So went over to the baseball field this afternoon for a follow me test. I can say I have never used this before on the X-Star. So for the first test it went up to 32-33 feet. I could bring it down to 20 feet but it would just shot right back up. OK so I ended that one, got bite by a few mosquitoes and tried again. This time it went up to 38-39 feet and and trying to lower it just shot right back up to to 38-39 feet. Makes no sense to me as to why it would have been different then the first.
I think something was changed in the final update, it followed me at ten feet or less before. Maybe they were wanting to be sure no one walked into it because it was too low, I would like to make that decision for myself

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I think something was changed in the final update, it followed me at ten feet or less before. Maybe they were wanting to be sure no one walked into it because it was too low, I would like to make that decision for myself

It was very hot out this afternoon. Still have 3\4 of a battery to burn off. I will try and get out this evening and give it another go. I am trying to wrap my head around how it determines how high it goes at the start. The only option that came up was a RTH height before the start. There was 6-7 feet difference between the two tests which is a lot.

Just got back in OBD from a totally different location and the result was 32 feet no matter what I did. So I am guessing they must have changed that in one of the last firmwares.
You can see in how I forced it down to 18 feet and it just jumped right back up to 33 feet like it was on steroids :)

Location #2

MAX_0002_Moment.jpg

Last edited:
I see guys are posting night or twilight photos. Although the look pretty nice there is still a lot of noise in them. This is where this camera would have benefited the 1" sensor.
Not my photos, just examples floating around on Autels Facebook page.

View attachment 2380 View attachment 2381 View attachment 2382
Absolutely right. My Nikon D810 has very little noise even at iso 3200. Would love to see that 36mp sensor in a drone...

I'd like to see some night photos the folks in here have gotten, on whatever drones you have. I've felt so far the X-Star did a better job than EVO has. Here are a few that I've gotten, the first two with the XSP and the last with the Evo.
FB_IMG_1531218747237.jpg FB_IMG_1531218718052.jpg Two Harbors at night.jpg
(First two were down sampled by Facebook and I don't currently have access to the originals but if I remember I'll swap em out this afternoon.)

The shots are quite different so I suppose it's hard to compare. If I remember correctly the first two shots, the XSP ones, were ISO 3200, 1/10 and 1/5 second respectively, and the Evo shot is ISO 1600, 1/2 second.

I'd like to see some night photos the folks in here have gotten, on whatever drones you have. I've felt so far the X-Star did a better job than EVO has. Here are a few that I've gotten, the first two with the XSP and the last with the Evo.
View attachment 2398 View attachment 2399 View attachment 2400
(First two were down sampled by Facebook and I don't currently have access to the originals but if I remember I'll swap em out this afternoon.)

The shots are quite different so I suppose it's hard to compare. If I remember correctly the first two shots, the XSP ones, were ISO 3200, 1/10 and 1/5 second respectively, and the Evo shot is ISO 1600, 1/2 second.
Thanks for posting this. Low light conditions will really bring out the inadequacies of a camera. They've been hyping this camera since day 1. So far it seems to fall short of their claims.

I really want to like the EVO. Hopefully they'll iron these things out in future software updates.

Just got back in OBD from a totally different location and the result was 32 feet no matter what I did. So I am guessing they must have changed that in one of the last firmwares.
You can see in how I forced it down to 18 feet and it just jumped right back up to 33 feet like it was on steroids :)

Location #2

View attachment 2388
Yep, why didn't they leave well enough alone? You got any Autel buddies you could ask about that?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials