Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

spherical panos on Autel 6K using smart controller

snowberryphoto

Reaction score
I need to shoot a spherical pano that I can use in my iGUIDE system. iGUIDE requires panos to be 4000x8000. When I shoot using the intelligent mode on the Autel I get my images and merge them in Lightroom and/or PS. In both instances I end up with a 1x3 rather than a 1x2 ratio. I've been told that a JPEG the correct proportion may be on my Smart Controller's internal memory. Questions: Is there a correct ratio jpeg hiding somewhere that I'm not seeing? If it's on the smart controller, how do I access it? When I shoot in spherical mode, I thought those images were not stitched together automatically, am I missing something?

I think you are mistakenly equating the individual image ratios with that of the finished equirectangular panorama. The ratio of the individual images is irrelevant. What matters is that the resulting stitched image is 2:1. That is a result of the stitching program and not the ratio of the individual, overlapped images.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Sorry if that was confusing ... this isn't about the size of the initial images, I'm only looking at the finished equirectangular pano. When I run the individual images through both LR and PS, I end up with 3:1 ratios. I'm trying to figure out how to get the correct ratio with the input I have so that my ratio is 2:1.

I followed this tutorial:

TLDR; the trick is to edit the canvas size (not the image size) to add enough space at the top so that it becomes 2:1, then fill in the empty pixels with gradient/cloned sky/etc.

Thanks - I'd been told that there was a JPEG that's saved to the internal memory on phone that's 4000x8000 (the correct ratio) - it would be great to find that rather than having to merge and add canvas - but that may be where I end up.

Thanks - I'd been told that there was a JPEG that's saved to the internal memory on phone that's 4000x8000 (the correct ratio) - it would be great to find that rather than having to merge and add canvas - but that may be where I end up.
Oo, that sounds awesome, let me know if you ever find it. I was kind of disappointed at having to fill in a fake sky.

Reactions: Bernardo
I need to shoot a spherical pano that I can use in my iGUIDE system. iGUIDE requires panos to be 4000x8000. When I shoot using the intelligent mode on the Autel I get my images and merge them in Lightroom and/or PS. In both instances I end up with a 1x3 rather than a 1x2 ratio. I've been told that a JPEG the correct proportion may be on my Smart Controller's internal memory. Questions: Is there a correct ratio jpeg hiding somewhere that I'm not seeing? If it's on the smart controller, how do I access it? When I shoot in spherical mode, I thought those images were not stitched together automatically, am I missing something?
Echo the above about adjust canvas size of resulting image from what ever you are stiching with (e.g. MSFT ICE, PTGUI, DD, Cupix, etc). You can adjust with PS, or FASTone among others, likewise a handy tool (at least on Windows) is fspviewer for reviewing 360s. Keep in mind that ratio needs to be 1x2 and thats also where the above among other sw comes into play for filling sky, adding nadir top/bottom images/logos etc as well as resizing. As for source images before stich, some sw is agnostic to raw vs jpg, some only want jpg, have used 16:9, 4:3, 3:2 images depending on what different sw wants or prefers. Have found that height can have big impact on quality, find balance of too high vs. too low. The following was captured with E2P couple hundred feet, 3:2 (5472x3648) processed with ICE, edited with fastone and PS.StillSnowEVA_Pano2_012222_0081stxfx_BBB.jpg

Reactions: manutter51
Oo, now that you've given me the idea of using the fill-in space for watermarks etc, I'm going to have to see if I can figure out how to put a 3D rendered mother ship up there.

Oo, now that you've given me the idea of using the fill-in space for watermarks etc, I'm going to have to see if I can figure out how to put a 3D rendered mother ship up there.
Why 3D rendered? all you need is a regular flat image. Otoh, you could try to make it recursive by converting a 360 image, resize, do some convert and flips, might be interesting to see a tiny planet at the top or bottom, just sayin...

Why 3D rendered? all you need is a regular flat image. Otoh, you could try to make it recursive by converting a 360 image, resize, do some convert and flips, might be interesting to see a tiny planet at the top or bottom, just sayin...
Oh, I didn't mean trying to render it directly into the pano, I just meant "realistic looking." Of course, that still leaves the problem of projecting it into the pano correctly, which I don't know how to do yet. I think there's a Photoshop filter for that?

Oh, I didn't mean trying to render it directly into the pano, I just meant "realistic looking." Of course, that still leaves the problem of projecting it into the pano correctly, which I don't know how to do yet. I think there's a Photoshop filter for that?
With PS create a nadir image using polar cord, doing some image flips, then resize, give it a try.

Oo, that sounds awesome, let me know if you ever find it. I was kind of disappointed at having to fill in a fake sky.
All DJI aircraft clone in a sky at the top for you, and complete the shooting and stitching within 75 seconds, instead of 4.5 minutes just to shoot the images in the EVO 2 Pro 6k "automated" spherical pano! On the Mavic 3, it's also a HiRes stitch, at 60MB!

Last edited:
All DJI aircraft clone in a sky at the top for you, and complete the shooting and stitching within 75 seconds, instead of 4.5 minutes just to shoot the images in the EVO 2 Pro 6k "automated" spherical pano! On the Mavic 3, it's also a HiRes stitch, at 60MB!
Yeah, my DJI Mini 2 does that, so I was kind of disappointed when the E2P took way longer and didn't even capture the whole sky.

Reactions: G_G
4.5 minutes just to shoot the images in the EVO 2 Pro 6k
Not sure why yours is taking 4.5 minutes, Im seeing averages of around 2.5 and even down around 1.5 minutes, granted not the same as a M2P, however also not 4.5 min. Some things have noticed include all manual settings (focus, shutter/exp, etc) saves some time, have noticed EVO 2 taking longer (e.g. around 2.5 min) if there is some snow and overexposure warning showing warnings.

Not sure why yours is taking 4.5 minutes, Im seeing averages of around 2.5 and even down around 1.5 minutes, granted not the same as a M2P, however also not 4.5 min. Some things have noticed include all manual settings (focus, shutter/exp, etc) saves some time, have noticed EVO 2 taking longer (e.g. around 2.5 min) if there is some snow and overexposure warning showing warnings.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it another chance. When the feature was finally added to the Evo 2 Pro 6k in late 2021, 2 years after release, that was how long it initially took, without any user input, and stitching was also completely unavailable. There was no manual setting option. It was all auto exposure. They just needed to speed up the algorithm! I haven't used it since, as the sole reason for wanting the realistic 8 minute longer flight time of the EVO 2 was to shoot multiple 360° panos along the way. One or two wasn't worth using the inferior Evo 2 compared to the reliable M2P. If the process is now somewhat faster, that's progress. However, the shooting time for a 360° pano under fully automatic exposure still should not vary. It should be the same every time. Shoot 26 images while making minor gimbal and yaw adjustments. Exposure should be based off the first image, just like DJI does, with the option to shoot in DNG's, saved for later exposure compensation in post. If the pilot is now manually able to control exposure before every shot, that's an entirely different matter. I'll have to try it again! However, the Mavic 3 is hard to beat. Same flight time as the Evo 2, and 75 seconds per pano, with stitching included, on a MFT sensor!

Yeah, my DJI Mini 2 does that, so I was kind of disappointed when the E2P took way longer and didn't even capture the whole sky.
The sky can't be "captured" on any drone that can't shoot straight up. So, anything above the FOV at 13° above the horizon has to be cloned in. DJI does a great job of that, included in the "in camera" stitch, immediately ready for sharing and viewing on any 360°x180° website or viewing program.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan.t