Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Smart controller v2 screen frozen cant reboot

Andrewv

Reaction score
I got a new smart controller v2 to use with my evo 2 v2. I booted it up, connected it with my drone and burned through two batteries yesterday. Today I used it and burned through two batteries. Immediately after I landed the last time today the screen froze. I can still use the smart controller to relaunch, land and controll the drone but the screen is completely unresponsive. I have tried every button on the smart controller and I can not get it to reboot. So now I am just waiting for the battery to completely drain and then maybe it will reboot.

I tried using the controller that came with the drone but it wont connect with the drone now. I tried rematching/pairing with the drone but that did not work. So no more drone photographs for me until this is fixed.

What do you guys think? Have you ever heard of a similar problem? Should I have updated the firmware before using this smart controller? Is it possible to have both the smart controller and the original remote control paired with the same drone at the same time?

Attachments

• 1635098363090559700312449844301.jpg
    1635098363090559700312449844301.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Have you tried holding down the power button for an extended amount of time?
You can not have more than one controller connected to a v.2 craft at a time.
is that true, you cannot have 2 controllers connected at the same time? I thought you could pair primary and secondary so two people can fly the same drone, no?

Have you tried holding down the power button for an extended amount of time?
You can not have more than one controller connected to a v.2 craft at a time.
Yes, I have tried holding the power button for an extended amount of time and I get no response just a frozen unresponsive screen.

Attachments

• 16351008234455439547680915016979.jpg
    16351008234455439547680915016979.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Yes, I have tried holding the power button for an extended amount of time and I get no response just a frozen unresponsive screen.
Typically, a tablet has a force shut-down but that usually involves the power button and a volume button. Since Autel didn't provide hardware volume control, I'm not sure there is anything you can do, sorry. There may be some sort of combination that will force shut down the tablet, but I have seen no documentation beyond the Quick Start guide. I'm sure you already tried swiping up to access the settings menu. Probably like a thousand times, I'm guessing.

I'm sure you already tried swiping up to access the settings menu. Probably like a thousand times, I'm guessing.
Yes, I tried swiping up. After a fews hours the battery died. I charged it and now it is controlling my drone just fine. I did a few short flights, several launches and landings, plus several reboots. It seems to be working ok for now. I will try updating the firmware now. Hopefully this doesn't happen again.

I haven't had the problem yet. there has to be a way to force reboot rather than let the batteries run out.

Apologies in advance for length of comments. I am really happy to have the V2 SC, and simultaneously concerned on a number of points.

Not only do we need reboot, we need a way to get into Android Recovery Screen. This is the only way I am aware of to wipe the cache partition, a standard Android maintenance item. Unless the "Maxitools App has a way - it looks like a logging app for troubleshooting so I doubt it. There's also "Maxidas" on there - an automotive scanner app borrowed from Autel Automotive. WTF? There is no purpose to it that I can fathom, other than perhaps testing or development, but again, I doubt it.

For a purpose built machine with embedded Android, they made either some weird choices or did not have the Android Development skills to remove CAMERA options from menus, folders for music, movies and photos aren't a big deal. but seriously; some stuff is just odd.

I don't want to root it (yet) but would like a line to development to ask about things like Android Recovery, and the following SAFETY ISSUE. I seriously just want to be able to maintain performance when it gets laggy with methods beside a full wipe/factory reset. Also how about the option to RUN the Beta FW/Autel Explorer that's on the site for download. There's:

V2.1.61 (Smart Controller) - On the download page. Yet we have no manual method to install it, and the SC will only install what is staged to it correctly by Autel. I know where the update folder is and how the FW gets unzipped into a sub folder. I tried it and no joy. It may be a need to rename it using the naming convention they use for updates. I am not pushing too hard, since even if I GET the FW to install, I can't install Autel Explorer App that is advised to use with it:

Android 1.1.7.93 09/27/2021​

This is kind of lame. I get Autel is a small company, its new products, blah blah blah. And I absolutely HATE to make comparisons to "THAT drone maker" - since they are far from perfect. But this community is a mix of highly knowledgeable tech geeks, and complete neophytes who just want to fly drones and everything in between. It wouldn't be so bad if those wishing to understand the Smart Controller and use it beyond just running Autel Explorer MINUS buttons and some info that the standard controller provides on the OLED Screen. A forum member asked why I want to use it as a tablet, and said he just controls the drone with AE, then pulls the SD Card and puts the collected video, photo content on his PC. And that's cool, if that's all he needs. I believe that if you pay top dollar, you may expect more than a beautiful display, nice feeling controls and solid build. Some functionality BEYOND the standard controller seems reasonable. Perhaps those things are coming. As of now, we don't even have the Time Shift Feature (pre-record video option) or sync photos to device (HD photo auto-sync feature)

The SC is marketed as the high end way to control your Autel Evo 2 Series drone, and packaged with Enterprise Kits for commercial use. When everyone was getting excited about Nano, Nano + and the Lite Series, I was feeling the pain about to ensue for these new(ish) products. I almost returned my V2 E2P and V2 SC for an Enterprise. I am a sucker for Carbon Fiber - who isn't, lol?

Autel has illustrated difficulty managing ONE drone series in the past, and been slow (but steady, I have to say) to develop the products once available. How will it be with FOUR new Drones releasing, for our cherished and long awaited Smart Controllers? I don't want to be Mr. Negativity, and I am an optimist at heart. But I worry about these things.

I would like to think Autel setup one of the 6 buttons (C1/C2, Record, Shutter, Home or Pause) + Power to do so, but then again, they forgot to give us a takeoff/Land button so who knows. Also the 3 second time to initiate pause/emergency with the pause button is really bad. On the standard controller and just about every drone out there "Pause" button will stop autonomous actions and motion in general by braking, hard. Three seconds, as I have told Autel, is an eternity when your drone is about to land in the water, or hit an unsuspecting person. Come ON Autel. This is a safety issue.

I am curious if other people have encountered this problem.
I had a similar experience with the Smart Controller and Enterprise. On landing after the second flight the obstacle avoidance kicked in and the Smart Controller froze. I held the power button in for an extended period and fortunately the Controller powered off. I have not flown since due to rubbish weather.

Apologies in advance for length of comments. I am really happy to have the V2 SC, and simultaneously concerned on a number of points.

Not only do we need reboot, we need a way to get into Android Recovery Screen. This is the only way I am aware of to wipe the cache partition, a standard Android maintenance item. Unless the "Maxitools App has a way - it looks like a logging app for troubleshooting so I doubt it. There's also "Maxidas" on there - an automotive scanner app borrowed from Autel Automotive. WTF? There is no purpose to it that I can fathom, other than perhaps testing or development, but again, I doubt it.

For a purpose built machine with embedded Android, they made either some weird choices or did not have the Android Development skills to remove CAMERA options from menus, folders for music, movies and photos aren't a big deal. but seriously; some stuff is just odd.

I don't want to root it (yet) but would like a line to development to ask about things like Android Recovery, and the following SAFETY ISSUE. I seriously just want to be able to maintain performance when it gets laggy with methods beside a full wipe/factory reset. Also how about the option to RUN the Beta FW/Autel Explorer that's on the site for download. There's:

V2.1.61 (Smart Controller) - On the download page. Yet we have no manual method to install it, and the SC will only install what is staged to it correctly by Autel. I know where the update folder is and how the FW gets unzipped into a sub folder. I tried it and no joy. It may be a need to rename it using the naming convention they use for updates. I am not pushing too hard, since even if I GET the FW to install, I can't install Autel Explorer App that is advised to use with it:

Android 1.1.7.93 09/27/2021​

This is kind of lame. I get Autel is a small company, its new products, blah blah blah. And I absolutely HATE to make comparisons to "THAT drone maker" - since they are far from perfect. But this community is a mix of highly knowledgeable tech geeks, and complete neophytes who just want to fly drones and everything in between. It wouldn't be so bad if those wishing to understand the Smart Controller and use it beyond just running Autel Explorer MINUS buttons and some info that the standard controller provides on the OLED Screen. A forum member asked why I want to use it as a tablet, and said he just controls the drone with AE, then pulls the SD Card and puts the collected video, photo content on his PC. And that's cool, if that's all he needs. I believe that if you pay top dollar, you may expect more than a beautiful display, nice feeling controls and solid build. Some functionality BEYOND the standard controller seems reasonable. Perhaps those things are coming. As of now, we don't even have the Time Shift Feature (pre-record video option) or sync photos to device (HD photo auto-sync feature)

The SC is marketed as the high end way to control your Autel Evo 2 Series drone, and packaged with Enterprise Kits for commercial use. When everyone was getting excited about Nano, Nano + and the Lite Series, I was feeling the pain about to ensue for these new(ish) products. I almost returned my V2 E2P and V2 SC for an Enterprise. I am a sucker for Carbon Fiber - who isn't, lol?

Autel has illustrated difficulty managing ONE drone series in the past, and been slow (but steady, I have to say) to develop the products once available. How will it be with FOUR new Drones releasing, for our cherished and long awaited Smart Controllers? I don't want to be Mr. Negativity, and I am an optimist at heart. But I worry about these things.

I would like to think Autel setup one of the 6 buttons (C1/C2, Record, Shutter, Home or Pause) + Power to do so, but then again, they forgot to give us a takeoff/Land button so who knows. Also the 3 second time to initiate pause/emergency with the pause button is really bad. On the standard controller and just about every drone out there "Pause" button will stop autonomous actions and motion in general by braking, hard. Three seconds, as I have told Autel, is an eternity when your drone is about to land in the water, or hit an unsuspecting person. Come ON Autel. This is a safety issue.
I have just got the Enterprise, obviously with the Smart Controller. My big frustration is that there is no percentage reading for the aircraft battery on the main flight screen. If you want to view the battery % you have to select settings and then battery, which to me is crazy. On the standard controller you get battery levels for both the Controller and the Aircraft battery. On the Smart Controller you flight time remaining and the aircraft battery voltage along with the Controller’s battery level as a percentage. On all other kit I fly I get an aircraft battery percentage readout along with the battery voltage. The response I got from Autel was that you should not use the % as it is not accurate and use the voltage. So that means I have to remember what the critical voltages are for 2S, 3S, 6S etc.

Reactions: RH Precision
Another, much faster way to see both Aircraft and Controller battery levels is swipe the drone "status" screen from the left side in. I was amazed how many people had flown Autel for long periods unaware of this screen. There's a video on YouTube with "secret menu" found. Whatever. It gives you a 3 Separate item selections: 1. Aircraft status (battery levels, temp, IMU, Transmission, SD Card, and more, 2. Current warnings for this flight: Gimbal not ready, Atti mode, etc, and 3. Flight Logs (another way to access besides at the Profile screen)

Just swipe for left side under the map arrow or above it. Another missed feature is removing all telemetry, camera settings and Shutter button by swiping up from center of screen. Good when you know what's going on but want to remove distractions and just have camera view. Tap anywhere to bring everything back.

It looks like the battery indicator LEDs do not turn off when you reboot, correct? That means it is not shutting down completely. If you just got it, I would get support from your dealer. If you've had it awhile, it would be a call or email to Autel in Bothel.
Maybe @Blade Strike has seen this before?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58