Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Search for missing woman using Evo

gasquetmike

Reaction score
I like to think i helped our local search and rescue today. I heard there was a missing woman in a local lake and thought id look around during a flight with my Evo. I flew VR, made around 5 flights. Covered a lot of area. this is just a real short video to give people an idea how the Evo works and looks. It has great quality. Almost like flying in a helicopter, which i have done many times.

Last edited:
Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I believe that working as a rescue drone pilot, you will need the 107 certificate. I fly only for fun but I am pretty sure that if I volunteer to rescue someone with the drone. Authorities will ask for the 107 certificate.

I believe that working as a rescue drone pilot, you will need the 107 certificate. I fly only for fun but I am pretty sure that if I volunteer to rescue someone with the drone. Authorities will ask for the 107 certificate.

If in the US of A you do indeed need a 107 or you can find yourself in a lot of trouble.
Under the FAA rules and law you do need a Part 107 to fly any S&R mission.

Wouldn't a helicopter pilot have part 107 already? Just my thoughts.
Nice video and it's awesome that you could offer help. More people need to look at drones this way instead of a nuisance.

Wouldn't a helicopter pilot have part 107 already? Just my thoughts.
Nice video and it's awesome that you could offer help. More people need to look at drones this way instead of a nuisance.
Nope, they still needs to take the test... But will be easy for them to pass because they already have knowledge of most of the info on it.

Reactions: Tufargon
Nope, they still needs to take the test... But will be easy for them to pass because they already have knowledge of most of the info on it.
Then you are ASSUMING he doesn't have part 107? ;) :)
Not meant to be mean by all means.

There....creative editing...i wasn't working for them...only enjoying my hobby and keeping an eye open at the same time...i always thought if you didnt take money for flying you were all good?...

Reactions: Tufargon
There....creative editing...i wasn't working for them...only enjoying my hobby and keeping an eye open at the same time...i always thought if you didnt take money for flying you were all good?...
That's what I thought too. You're only a pro if you make money or someone makes a profit from your video like a realtor would using your videos/photos from what I thought (even if you are not paid for it). You said you volunteered so that's what I assumed. I can't see anyone going after you for what you did. You only did what you could to help which is absolutely noble.
I really appreciate that you did that and thanks for sharing the video!!

Last edited:
Are you from the US? I am curious.

To work for S&R, you do need to be part 107 certified, but if you are in the area enjoying a hobby flight and you are asked by SAR personnel if you can use your drone to help in the search, I doubt it will be held against you. That would be like seeing a man having a heart attack and you being the only one knowing how to do CPR and saying "nope, can't help him, my certification expired last month".

Now, if you are in the way, then GTFO and let the pros handle it. Don't start your own search, unless asked upon.

Ok, well I understand you did it as a gesture of helping find someone that is or was lost. But legally speaking and this is straight out of the FAA regulations. You need to have the part 107 certification in order to do this type of job or if you want to make money with the drone.

Ok, well I understand you did it as a gesture of helping find someone that is or was lost. But legally speaking and this is straight out of the FAA regulations. You need to have the part 107 certification in order to do this type of job or if you want to make money with the drone.
This has been discussed numerous times in other forums. Flying for anything other than for hobby (example: taking photos for a friend) requires 107.

Reactions: macoman
Just curious..If a REALTOR hires and pays someone to take Drone photos of a property, does that realtor need to post that drones pilots 107 certificate on the listing photo page ?

Just curious..If a REALTOR hires and pays someone to take Drone photos of a property, does that realtor need to post that drones pilots 107 certificate on the listing photo page ?

No but if that realtor does not check that the pilot in command has his Part 107 then he can be charged 5 times more then the Pilot in command. Its a deterrence for them to not use amateurs.

This has been discussed numerous times in other forums. Flying for anything other than for hobby (example: taking photos for a friend) requires 107.

Personally, I would come down on the side where 'taking photos for a friend' does not fall into the category of 'work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire.'

Personally, I would come down on the side where 'taking photos for a friend' does not fall into the category of 'work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire.'

The FAA considers any type of activity (compensated or otherwise) that is not a hobby flight to require part 107. Taking photos for a friend falls there as well.

The FAA considers any type of activity (compensated or otherwise) that is not a hobby flight to require part 107. Taking photos for a friend falls there as well.

Do you have a quote from the FAA stating this?

#2: Fly only for recreational purposes.

Yes, and when asked the direct question, on the web page I posted, the FAA defined what they meant by that:

What is the definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS or drone?
Recreational or hobby UAS or drone use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms.

So again, I'll propose that 'taking photos for a friend' does not fall into the category of 'work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire.'

Reactions: gasquetmike

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles