Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

SD write speed warning?!

House Forasken

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct location, so I apologize in advance.

On several occasions I've received the warning "SD is write speed slow". Has anyone else had this warning? I thought I was using a good SD card for drone video. I was recording in 4K 60, but I've received the error while recording in 4K 30 too.

Here is the warning.

Screenshot_20200701-181548_XRecorder.jpg

Here is the SD card I use.

20200702_124447.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

The card should be fast enough. I don't know how the Evo determines the write speed of a card. Do you have frame drops? Then there are two explanations: 1. The card may be damaged 2. The card may be a cheap clone.

Reactions: PingSpike
The card should be fast enough. I don't know how the Evo determines the write speed of a card. Do you have frame drops? Then there are two explanations: 1. The card may be damaged 2. The card may be a cheap clone.

I didn't notice any frame drops. I do have a couple other identical Samsung cards, I'll give those a try.

Is there a way to check if the SD card is damaged? I do get an error message (it has to check the card for errors or something like that) from my PC every time I plug it in after flying.

I didn't notice any frame drops. I do have a couple other identical Samsung cards, I'll give those a try.

Is there a way to check if the SD card is damaged? I do get an error message (it has to check the card for errors or something like that) from my PC every time I plug it in after flying.
If that's the case about the error it would probably be a good idea to format it. Then try it again. That card should be plenty fast. Except if like Micander said that it's a clone. If it came with the drone I wouldn't worry about that.

Reactions: House Forasken

Yeah, so you use windows - which is incapable to even mount sd-cards without spreading BS ;-) Get yourself a benchmark tool. Sadly can't recommend one for Windows//Mac. For linux i just use dd to write a file to sd and measure the time.

Reactions: House Forasken
Just had that happen to me this week... same thing. and I am using a faster card U3 V90 at least 90mb/s write speed.

Interestingly it is only happening when shooting 4k 60fps. When I backed it down to 48fps I didn't get the warning.

I will try another card that is the same manufacturer and speed.

Last edited:
To determine if that card is a cheap clone or not, all Samsung OEM cards come with white edges. This is really hard to reproduce, so knock offs don't even bother to do it.
That's pretty cool to know. The card I posted, has white edges, so I'll assume I have a legit card.

Just had that happen to me this week... same thing. and I am using a faster card U3 V90 at least 90mb/s write speed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QM348D9/ref=twister_B01AIPRNOW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Interestingly it is only happening when shooting 4k 60fps. When I backed it down to 48fps I didn't get the warning.

I will try another card that is the same manufacturer and speed.

I too should try it in a lower FPS. The 32G card that came with the EVO II is a V30, I have had no issues with that. I'll probably just pick up a couple of those V30 cards.

I took a professional drone pilot class and was told the best cards to use were 32GB or lower. Sometimes larger cards have trouble dropping frames. I'm a computer tech guy and I've never heard of that before, but several people agreed. Anyway, my Autel Evo Pro 2 came with a Sandisk Extreme 32GB. Try that card and see what happens.

I just wanted to update that I've been using the 32G V30 card which came with the drone. I received 2 write speed warnings this saturday. I was recording in 4K 60 when I received them.
I will try to sync up the vidoes (screen recording and drone recording) maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I had the same issue. SD card write speed warnings and occasionally even a stopped recording of a video. This after formatting the card inside the aircraft. This happened with the 32 GB SanDisk card that originally came with the EVO II Pro. It sometimes happens already when shooting at 4K @ 60FPS. (hint it works better at 50fps, so if you intend to have slowmotion video at 25fps as end result you might be fine shooting at 50fps while using a standard microSD card)

However I bought a 64 GB Extreme PRO microSD also from SanDisk to replace the original. Yet same problems occurred using this new card. The Extreme PRO is said to be faster, but obviously that's not enough. After more research I then found articles stating the write speed alone is false judgement as it's about the sustained write speed. Surprisingly all SanDisks are virtually the same when the higher class cards are compared by their actual sustained write performance, all being too low for what the EVO II Pro camera requires.

(I used the free BlackMagic Disk Speed Test App to verify advertised speed vs true throughput. I will never get a SanDisk flash card again thereafter)

That article I found also outlined to look for the v90 class label on cards to be sure to have highest sustained write capacity. So I needed to spend 6 times the price of the SanDisk in order to get an ADATA 128 GB class v90 microSD.

Bummer to have bought that 64 GB for nothing, but the last card has solved the problem.

The latest firmware seems to have resolved the erroneous "Slow Write Speed" bug notifications I was occasionally getting. I've never experienced dropped frames at 4K 60p using V30 Sandisk Extreme 128GB cards. I do format these with my Android 11 Pixel 4a 5G phone so I can pop the card in a USB-C reader to review my images and videos between flights (with this method I can see the card on my Thinkpad, phone, and drone even though Win10 wants to "fix" it. Formatting on the PC screws up the card until it's reformatted in the drone, first, and then reformatted again in my Pixel). Incidentally, even the lowliest V30 card has more than twice the sustained minimum write speed of the fastest speed the Evo II bus can achieve. Because the Evo II does not have the set of pins for the 2nd lane required for higher than V30 speeds with V60 and V90 cards, V30 is as good as it gets for write speed no matter what card you use. So unless you value shorter uploading times when moving images to your hard drives, there isn't much cause for V60/90 cards, and V30 are a lot less expensive (Sandisk 128 Extreme is under $25)

Last edited:
The latest firmware seems to have resolved the erroneous "Slow Write Speed" bug notifications I was occasionally getting. I've never experienced dropped frames at 4K 60p using V30 Sandisk Extreme 128GB cards. I do format these with my Android 11 Pixel 4a 5G phone so I can pop the card in a USB-C reader to review my images and videos between flights (with this method I can see the card on my Thinkpad, phone, and drone even though Win10 wants to "fix" it. Formatting on the PC screws up the card until it's reformatted in the drone, first, and then reformatted again in my Pixel). Incidentally, even the lowliest V30 card has more than twice the sustained minimum write speed of the fastest speed the Evo II bus can achieve. Because the Evo II does not have the set of pins for the 2nd lane required for higher than V30 speeds with V60 and V90 cards, V30 is as good as it gets for write speed no matter what card you use. So unless you value shorter uploading times when moving images to your hard drives, there isn't much cause for V60/90 cards, and V30 are a lot less expensive (Sandisk 128 Extreme is under $25)
I have the latest firmware and the SanDisk still failed. You mentioned the second row of pins on the microSD. I also wonderered about this. If this is not the reason for performing better inside the drone I still should stick with my verdict not to trust the performance of those cheaper high class microSD cards. The v90 labeled card does perform great when writing footage in the drone, and yes downloading the footage thereafter from the card to my laptop at 240 MB/s is a worthy extra benefit.

Like most of the other threads about write speed this one again devolves into a data-free crock of ****. Ahd how is it that someone ALWAYS come along shortly after these are posted to point to an Amazon Affiliate link for a spendy card? Always!

I had a lot of issues with “slow write speed” and bought several Sandisk cards from Amazon, then I decided to buy from Sandisk website and my problem was resolved. I use it with my Evo 2 Pro V1 Sandisk extreme Pro 128 gb.

Reactions: uas_gian
I had a lot of issues with “slow write speed” and bought several Sandisk cards from Amazon, then I decided to buy from Sandisk website and my problem was resolved. I use it with my Evo 2 Pro V1 Sandisk extreme Pro 128 gb.
Interesting detail. I did get the second very disappointing SanDisk from Amazon. Could it be a fake?

However the originally included microSD also has THE SAME ISSUE, that's the main point in this topic if you ask me. Autel Robotics shipped gear with an SD card included that cannot perform at peak performance, no matter what firmware version is installed. Sometimes the recording just stops, that's as worse as dropped frames. I will try Lexar and PNY cards as soon as I can for a test. For now I've maybe spent too much money on the third card being a V90 class, however it solved the problem on my end. if you have spent so much $ on a drone one would expect to get a decent and unproblematic SD card with it, right?

(PS do not buy from Amazon unless you want to screw the planet.)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy