Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Screwed up firmware update

RaceTrak

Reaction score
I bought the Evo II Pro 6k Version 2 this week. During setup, it said there was a firmware update, which I attempted to do, but it failed multiple times. I gave up.

I took it for a test flight and all went well.

I was going to test fly it again today but got the nag to update the firmware again. So I tried again multiple times through the app and it failed again.

So I did it manually with the SD card method. Which appeared to work, but the controller bricked.

After some investigation, I found that I had inadvertently put the smart controller firmware on the SD card when I have the standard controller.

The controller won't talk to the aircraft, so I can't upload the correct firmware that way. I have been unable to find any answers as to somehow updating the firmware to the controller directly.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Autel support isn't answering their phones due to covid - email support only.

Thanks in advance for any help (and please keep the name calling to a minimum - I know I'm an idiot...... lol)

RaceTrak

Reaction score
That's what I assume as well - I was just hoping someone knew of a utility that could write the firmware from the PC to the controller directly without using the drone. Bah.

Ultimately my fault, but the controller nagged me to get firmware version "2.1.77" and I couldn't get it to work "OTA" after many attempts. So I went to the website and downloaded version 2.1.77...

I don't know how I grabbed the wrong one, but as someone who has written a fair share of software, I'm a little peeved that they would use the exact same version number for different versions of the firmware. I get that the underlying functionality is the same, but call one "2.1.77s" or something...

As we used to say, you can make something idiot proof, but you can never make it user proof. I never thought I'd be on this end of that saying, though. lol

Brock Inspector

Reaction score
That's what I assume as well - I was just hoping someone knew of a utility that could write the firmware from the PC to the controller directly without using the drone. Bah.

Ultimately my fault, but the controller nagged me to get firmware version "2.1.77" and I couldn't get it to work "OTA" after many attempts. So I went to the website and downloaded version 2.1.77...

I don't know how I grabbed the wrong one, but as someone who has written a fair share of software, I'm a little peeved that they would use the exact same version number for different versions of the firmware. I get that the underlying functionality is the same, but call one "2.1.77s" or something...

As we used to say, you can make something idiot proof, but you can never make it user proof. I never thought I'd be on this end of that saying, though. lol
Point us to the page where you d/l'd the wrong v2.1.77 firmware, RaceTrak

RaceTrak

Reaction score
Yeah - that's the page - I knew I didn't have the smart controller, but I apparently accidentally flipped the tab before I hit download. You just have to mouse over it and it changes - you don't have to click the tab to switch to it... (at least on the browser I'm using - Microsoft Edge...)

And once it was downloaded, all I saw was the 2.1.77 version number - the filenames are only slightly different -- one says "pad" one says "8020". In hindsight, "pad" probably should have tipped me off, but why give the files those names instead of "standard" and "smart."

Frustrating. I know I screwed up, but there are sooooo many ways that this process could have been improved to lessen the likelihood of a screwup like this happening.

Reactions: Dave Pitman

juryz

Reaction score
Good afternoon! I had a similar situation. I downloaded the firmware for the smart controller by mistake and the controller stopped working for me. I contacted AUTEL technical support, they didn't help me there. Contact technical support, they will only help there if you reach them... Good luck!

RaceTrak

Reaction score
I called them. They initially said if you put the firmware on a USB drive and stick it into the controller, it will reprogram it. But that didn't work...

So now I have to send both the drone and the controller to them and now I am waiting for the instructions to do that. It's taking a frustratingly long time to get this done...

RaceTrak

Reaction score
That's what I have... I have to send them both in and they will send them both back. They aren't going to swap them.

I did ask if they could buy a new controller and then send this one back and get a partial refund for it just to save time but they said they only do not have any V2 controllers in stock at all for sale (just a handful for warranty replacements).

elistechnology

Reaction score
There are no components in the Chinese factory that produces controllers for autel. It's been a month since I've been waiting for a standard V2 controller.

ethelsnakes

Reaction score
I experienced a similar thing with that firmware update for my EVO Pro v2. Everything seemed to be OK after doing the manual install. I took off, ascended to 390 ft, took some still images, tested out the 16x zoom feature, then tried to shoot some panorama images. The icon spun for awhile and then it said "Mission failed". Same result for different panorama settings. I brought it down to land and it said "controller disconnected", but I still had video. pulling the left stick for down, it would come down to about ten feet and then go up to about 50 feet. Tried RTH - no luck. Was still able to bring it down, but it would head right back up. Tried several more times and it did land. Sent a note to Autel with a description of the "adventure" and they said send in the drone and controller. They turned it around within one day and it works great again. No complaints with Autel tech support.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirknight