Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Safe drop-down distance from launch altitude ?

Rorysee

Reaction score
Any ideas. If my launch position is 665 m sea level and my drone 900 km away. what would a safe drop distance be where I won’t lose signal?

Also If my return lift altitude is set to 30 meters if the drone returns home after a lost signal and my drone position is lower than the lift-off1.png altitude of 665 m would the drone would go up to 665 meters plus 30 meters or would it only add 30 meters

Up from the position it lost signal and then return home and fly into the cliff face.

Thanks..yes 789 m not km . so what height drop can I expect below the visibility or line of sight of the drone? roughly. ?
just to clarify = at a distance of 789 m away from the controller and a drop of 200 meters below the drone lift off altitude IF the connection is lost will rise to the 665 m mark plus 30 m up theN return the 789 m return distance?

Yes but expect enough reserve battery for the return (in case of headwind)

Reactions: Rorysee
When you take off. 665m will be take off point, therefore altitude 0. When you drop 200m it will indicate as -200. When connection is lost, it should go up 230m.

Others have tested this and yes it will go up past the negative value and return home at your set value. Your return to home set point is not a negative number so it will not stop at a negative number. It will climb till it reaches the positive set number that you have set for you return to home setpoint.

• Haha
Reactions: Drgnfli and Rorysee
thanks, everyone. so we on the same page the 0 point altitude. what would be a reasonable drop I can expect to drop before I pick up issues, any ideas?

It really depends on terrain, and since I do not know exactly where you will be flying, I cannot answer your question. You will get several warnings of signal degradation, before you lose complete signal. If you do lose signal, as soon as the drone starts RTH and goes up, you should be able to regain your signal and continue your flight. A warning I can give you. The winds in cliffs can be really nasty, so keep your distance from the walls.

I agree with Ansia, hard to tell if and when you might lose contact. I was trying to look over your picture of where you want to fly and it looks pretty straight forward as long as you don't drop below the tree line near the end of your flight which will effect your fight most.

Thoughtful and careful planning is the best recipe for success. What a great example of drone community support. Please let us know how it goes, and bring pictures/video.

will do thanks. I have been planning some shots for the last six months for this December = about 3 weeks of filming. these waterfalls

the Evo should be a huge step up from my old drone 3DR Solo which I gave away to a friend who does filming but wants to get into drone shots.

this clip we set up the shots 2017 with a 3DR Solo and a gopro 3 on the Mascarene Islands, for some stock footage. the opening shots the exact same location for the film Serenity with Matthew McConaughey and a friend also had a few parts with McConaughey. a very serene place indeed

a few weeks later a cyclone developed the same area I went out with another cameraman got some interesting stuff ...the EVO high frame rate is going to be a massive improvement

Last edited:
Reactions: DanielC and Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials