Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RTH and Building Avoidance

steve2497

Reaction score
I regularly fly my EVO 2 to many waypoints via missions and let it get out of range quite frequently. I rely on the RTH being activated at the end of the mission and letting it fly straight home automatically.

My question is this...if a building gets in the way on the RTH and I have no connection does it just stop and hover there or intelligently try to navigate around the building?

I try to avoid this in my waypoint planning and making sure the straight line home will be above the tallest structure, but it would be good to know if I need to be this cautious.

I regularly fly my EVO 2 to many waypoints via missions and let it get out of range quite frequently. I rely on the RTH being activated at the end of the mission and letting it fly straight home automatically.

My question is this...if a building gets in the way on the RTH and I have no connection does it just stop and hover there or intelligently try to navigate around the building?

I try to avoid this in my waypoint planning and making sure the straight line home will be above the tallest structure, but it would be good to know if I need to be this cautious.

Everything I have read is that as long as OA is on it, if RTH is triggered and it encounters an obstacle it will rise as high as it needs to in order to RTH even if that altitude is above the RTH altitude. However, I have also seen reports from users that stated it just stopped and hovered until the batteries ran out at which point it auto landed; the circumstances around these occurrences (i.e was OA disabled?) haven't seemed clear to me.

I do know that I personally never use missions, take my hands off the controls, or rely on RTH; IMO doing so is just asking for a lost drone, property damage, or worse. There are many things that no OA can see even to this day including power lines, antennas at the tops of buildings, and kite strings to name a few.

Thanks - I did have an incident when I flew it out of range and towards a forest, not accounting for the elevation of the forest, it stopped in front of a tree and just hovered there for 10 minutes until the RTH was engaged via low battery, it came home safe with about 10% remaining and then I enjoyed the 10 minutes or retarded video of a tree branch!

Thing is if you use the dynamic tracking it goes around, under and over obstacles, even chain linked fence...I'm sure you guys have seen all the you tube review vids that demonstrate it.

Which is why I'm asking the original question - I don't want to test it against a building in the middle of town thanks!! Until I get more answers I will just plan my missions very carefully.

Oh...and yes I always have OA on and all the safety features turned on, no 44mph mode or anything

@steve2497 Yes I have seen some of those videos; nothing short of incredible and definitely nothing I would ever do with my EVO II. Without a doubt the EVO II's OA is better than anything I have seen any DJI drone accomplish.

This may be right up your alley!

I would be really curious if it was pure luck that it avoided the antenna (maybe it's set to go x number of feet over an obstacle and the antenna happened to be just short of that) or the OA is truly better than I thought; even if it wasn't luck, there's no way it would avoid the guide wires that secure a lot of the antennas here in FL (due to hurricanes) so I still wouldn't want to trust RTH if I didn't have to.

This may be right up your alley!

Perfect!!! Just what I was after, thanks so much for sharing. As I say I try and avoid these situations but when they do happen it just shows how amazing the obstacle avoidance is. So it doesn't just hover there like an idiot and does rise above even the RTH max altitude.

I have only had the Evo 2 for a few weeks and have insurance in case of a fly away.

It was this, the 8k video and 40 min (really 35 min) battery life, 9km range, and its ability to continue with missions when connection is lost that persuaded me over DJI. I have been waiting for the DJI3 but that could be more than a year away from what I've heard - you can't buy better than this at the moment unless of course you go for a commercial solution that will cost you £10k+!

Thanks again perfect video

Reactions: Cicero24
Yes it will automatically raise above building. Happened to me recently. I lost signal behind very tall building. Evo started to fly back straight into building, stopped and went above and around. Amazing drone

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d