Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

RS2 as the base casting corrections to the drone and RS+ at the same time

jmason702

Reaction score
I use the RS2 as a base, receiving corrections from the NTRIP station, and Emlid Caster to send corrections to the drone, All devices are connected to a hotspot.
Can I set up my RS+ as a rover receiving corrections from the base using the same Emlid Caster? as far as I know YES, but my question is will the RS+ also need internet?

Reason- I want to collect GCPs while the drone is flying the mission. So the Base would be occupying one space at all times. So to save a lot of time I could be out with rover collecting GCPs ( with a VO watching everything of course)

If the RS+ needs internet to do this I will be too far out and lose connection from my hotspot... I hope this makes sense, Thoughts, please...

If your RS2 is broadcasting over Emlid Caster, then your RS+ would need to be able to access the internet to receive the correction over Emlid Caster. It doesn't need to be the same hotspot, but you would have to have it connected to another device with a data connection.

Reactions: jmason702
ok cool, my van has its own hotspot I use with the base and smart controller, I have a portable hotspot I could use with the RS+

The Local NTRIP I keep hearing about, uses no internet at all correct? but you would need a known point for all that to work out correct?

Last edited:
Local NTRIP does not need a data connection. It uses your phone or hotspots' network, but that network does not have to be connected to the www. But the base and rovers all have to be on the same network (phone/hotspot) for it to work.

With your workflow, making your own "known point" is simple. You just connect to NTRIP, like you always do. Then, create a project and create a point by Average/Fix, just like you do on static, and then in Base Mode, you take the coordinates of that point you just collected and set that as your base coordinate. Remember to input your pole height when you collect the point and in the Base mode / Manual / Antenna height.

If you are all current with Emlid firmware, then in the Base Mode page of RV3, they have added a button to open a project and grab a point very easy. No manual coordinate typing. You still need to make sure you have your pole accounted for.

Reactions: jmason702

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller