Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Remote ID - Internet & Broadcast Capability on EVO?

tbae

Reaction score
This may be too early for this but, based on the latest draft proposal for the Standard Remote ID, does the EVO (first version, not Evo II) even have the ability to have Internet access as well as data broadcast capability? I hope I'm making sense here but based on the $$$ I've invested so far, I'd really like to have this drone meet the Standard Remote ID category.

Thanks in advance.

This may be too early for this but, based on the latest draft proposal for the Standard Remote ID, does the EVO (first version, not Evo II) even have the ability to have Internet access as well as data broadcast capability? I hope I'm making sense here but based on the $$$ I've invested so far, I'd really like to have this drone meet the Standard Remote ID category.

Thanks in advance.
To answer your question. Yes, the Evo can broadcast via wifi spectrum and with a software update, can also comply with the internet broadcast. The problem lies elswhere. The FAA is demanding that the serial number of the drone has to be a certain way for broadcast. There is where the Evo and all the current generation drones fall short.

Reactions: macoman
That's disappointing - it puts a lot of folks that invested lots of money in this hobby in the same boat as me and I wonder if that is what the FAA's intent is all along (in collaboration with the big delivery businesses that have a huge stake in the outcome of this regulation) to significantly clear out air traffic.

By default this would then force me to select the Limited Remote ID status but this would potentially be more expensive than the Standard Remote ID option since the Limited status requires you to fly in AMA or equivalent community organization approved fields (which means you have to pay dues to belong to those orgs) compared to a monthly subscription pilots will be required to pay via the Standard status - either way sounds like more $$ to fly, or choose to just throw up your arms and sell it all.

Also - I don't think the AMA would appreciate a bunch of drones flying in close proximity with their fixed remote aircraft, which need significantly more air space to lift off/fly/land.

The LRID just locks you in a 400-foot bubble, not an AMA field.

Yes you are correct I got confused on the LRID you are not required to fly in AMA field - but 400 feet bubble is still very restricted.

Reactions: xspwhite
I dout that any drone manufacturer will be upgrading any of there old drones to be compatible with the new program.

Im thinking more than likely, the SRID's will cost a great deal more money than the LRID's.

Don't just accept this lying down! Write a comment on the proposed regulation. The more voices that are heard, the better the chances of saving our sport.
I'll make a comment, but I'm trying to fully understand the whole thing first.

Mostly, I think the whole internet connection thing is a bunch of malarkey. I dont have good cell coverage in my area so I would have to drive to the city to get a good connection.

I would probably launch from a McDonald's parking lot and use their wifi.

I'll make a comment, but I'm trying to fully understand the whole thing first.

Mostly, I think the whole internet connection thing is a bunch of malarkey. I dont have good cell coverage in my area so I would have to drive to the city to get a good connection.

I would probably launch from a McDonald's parking lot and use their wifi.
Your not allowed to fly with a Big Mac in your mouth LOL

Basically the FAA is taking away virtually all the airspace under 400" from hobiests and giving that airspace to commerical players. The Amazon delivery people said the only way to make drone delivery safe is to get all those home made aircraft out of there way and only have aircraft that broadcast their position in the air.

I do think they could update older aircraft to comply with the new rules. New serial numbers may need to given to the aircraft and a software update would be needed to forward the gps location of the pilot and the aircraft to the FAA. Comerical aircraft would need to be reregistered with the new numbers.

This could open up easy legal access to BLOS flights for many of us.

I do think they could update older aircraft to comply with the new rules. New serial numbers may need to given to the aircraft and a software update would be needed to forward the gps location of the pilot and the aircraft to the FAA. Comerical aircraft would need to be reregistered with the new numbers.

This could open up easy legal access to BLOS flights for many of us.

The FAA has made clear that Remote Identification (RID) is a prerequisite for a long list of advanced operations being allowed without waivers, including routine drone flights at night, over people, and beyond the remote pilot’s line of sight.

My guess is that they won't allow that with a regular consumer drone. You would probably have to spend about $20,000 and have a ton of liability insurance. I hope I'm wrong though.

To answer your question. Yes, the Evo can broadcast via wifi spectrum and with a software update, can also comply with the internet broadcast. The problem lies elswhere. The FAA is demanding that the serial number of the drone has to be a certain way for broadcast. There is where the Evo and all the current generation drones fall short.
I had the Evo for quite awhile now. Should just take a firmware update for the drone and an update to the Explorer app to add remote ID. Since wifi or bluetooth is the main radio system that was settled on by the FAA you probably will need to use a cell phone or tablet with it all the time since the remote by itself doesn't HAVE WIFI or bluetooth. Not a big deal.

the only way to make drone delivery safe is to get all those home made aircraft out of there way
maybe they should fly an AC that has collision avoidance? better yet "read" the RID, correct course accordingly. It's not like they spent a years hobby money for their drone, more like 5 seconds worth

I wouldn't worry about milk that has yet to be spilled.

The tech to add a button-sized Remote ID has yet to be developed as far as I know. Lots of variables. Too many to speculate about how this will affect hobbyists and commercial pilots alike. Nothing is written in stone either despite them saying this is the final word.

I may be brand new to this honny buy I am not at all for remote ID sharing my location, nor the fact they could watch every little thing you do, or cause you to not be able to fly at all.

This is no different then the geo fencing garbage that DJI forces onto their users making it impossible for some people to use their drone at all.

As for amazon wanting to have a monopoly on who can fly they can eat crap and die, recreational pilots were here long before them and they either learn to share the skies or do not use drones to deliver things.

Continuing some of this discussion, a few months later..

After reading through 14 CFR Part 89, wheww thats long I have satisfied my curiosity about a few things.

Serial Number Formats:
F. Serial Number Marking
The FAA emphasizes that small unmanned aircraft owners are not required to affix the serial number to the exterior of the aircraft. However, nothing in the proposed regulation would preclude the owners from choosing to do so. The FAA envisions that producers may mark the exterior of unmanned aircraft with serial numbers that comply with the ANSI/CTA-2063-A serial number standard, and that such serial numbers could be used to meet the marking requirements of part 48, subpart C. This could alleviate the need to mark each UAS with the registration number. The FAA seeks specific comments on whether UAS producers should be required to affix the serial number to the exterior of all standard remote identification UAS and limited remote identification UAS. Please explain why or why not and provide data to support your response.

Section F. of 14 CFR Part 87 uses some pretty standard language when it comes down to it. You will note the uses of the words may and could. These are FAA recommendations that the FAA would like manufacturers to follow and have required manufacturers to do so. In such a case the word "may" would be replaced with "shall" and the word "could" would be replaced with the word "will".

After reviewing the marking section I decided to take a quick jaunt over to the ANSI/CTA site and look up what heinous requirements "could" be suggested by the standard.

The ANSI/CTA UAS Marking standards (attached) are also pretty straight forward and provides a programmatically repeatable standard that would be compatible with most marking systems or label software packages. Without boring anyone too much. It would be a rather simple process to alter fab processes to incorporate the recommended, but not required changes. With the simplest method for Autel Robotics to simply amend their current serial number schema with the ANSI/CTA-2063-A prefixes. MFRID + 1 Character count Code + Existing Schema. IE.
AUROCHV592027XXXX

MFRID LEN_ID Existing Schema
AURO C HV92027XXXX
Autel Robotics C = 12 HEX Existing 12 Digit SN Schema

Attachments

• CTA-2063-A_Final.pdf
    621.2 KB · Views: 4
Hi everyone for your information here in France the UAS Dri(direct remote identification) is mandatory since beginning of the year 2021 for the UAS over than 800gr. For the moment all people who have a uas who do not have this identification made by the manufacturer must buy a module(i-e dronavia or airbot) and stick it on the uas. which is look like a big wart ! So I often ask Autel R. if they are considering doing a firmware upgrade about this DRI, but their answers are that they don't know ... Also I have already asked them if does it stick on top of the front EVO 2 does not risk disturbing the on-board electronics and their response was "Use of any third-party accessories will void our warranty policy. I can only ask on our end our developers which part of the aircraft transmit the GPS signal". i got also this one in April 26 "As of the moment, we do not have any information with regards to the Beacon identification system if it would be included in the next firmware update. We understand that this is a critical necessity to meet with our consumers demand. Not just in the state of France alone, but to be able to comply with every EU state requirments. Our engineers have look into this, rest assured that this is taken as a priority. Kindly stay tuned to the latest updates by visiting Autel Robotics' official website or by subscribing to our social media accounts". So now if I want to use my drone I have to pay the sum of 200 dollars. If they do not react quickly they will lose market share in France and in Europe because in 2022 it will be compulsory everywhere in EU.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 09.01.26.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 09.01.26.png
    554 KB · Views: 3
Hi everyone for your information here in France the UAS Dri(direct remote identification) is mandatory since beginning of the year 2021 for the UAS over than 800gr.
For the moment all people who have a uas who do not have this identification made by the manufacturer must buy a Wifi module(i-e Dronavia or Airbot) and stick it on the uas. which is look like a big wart see the Picture !

So I often ask Autel R. if they are considering doing a firmware upgrade about this DRI, but their answers are that they don't know ...
Also I have already asked them if does it stick on top of the front EVO 2 does not risk disturbing the on-board electronics and their response was "Use of any third-party accessories will void our warranty policy. I can only ask on our end our developers which part of the aircraft transmit the GPS signal".
i got also this one in April 26 "As of the moment, we do not have any information with regards to the Beacon identification system if it would be included in the next firmware update. We understand that this is a critical necessity to meet with our consumers demand. Not just in the state of France alone, but to be able to comply with every EU state requirements. Our engineers have look into this, rest assured that this is taken as a priority. Kindly stay tuned to the latest updates by visiting Autel Robotics' official website or by subscribing to our social media accounts".
So now if I want to use my drone I have to pay 200 dollars for this module, and if later they upgrade the firmware for the DRI i can put the module in the bin because it is nominatif and cannot use by someone else.
Autel robotics If they do not react quickly they will lose market share in France and in Europe because in 2022 it will be compulsory everywhere in EU.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 09.01.26.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 09.01.26.png
    554 KB · Views: 2

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy