Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Remote control discharging while charging

Len

Reaction score
I've noticed that sometimes my EVO II remote doesn't charge to 100%, sometimes it hovers at 98% sometimes it does go to 100%. But recently I noticed it started to actually discharge while charging! This is very disturbing, it goes to 100% but if I don't unplug it it starts going down to something like 70% (while being powered down). Right now it struggling with going over 75%. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I have several 5V chargers that supply more than enough amparage. I understand it wouldn't charge, but discharge? Anyone seen anything like this?
EDIT: As I wrote this, I turned it off and on and plugged into charger again. It showed 75%, but few minutes later went to 100%, light turned green and it beeped.... What's happening?

You know that if you have your phone or tablet still plugged into the remote it will charge the phone or tablet at the same time as well.... could be this I guess, without seeing it diagnosis is difficult, good luck.

• Wow
Reactions: PingSpike and Len
Thanks, yeah I don't have anything plugged in other than charger... Must be firmware glitch :(

OK, try this... might not be the answer but worth trying... what type of USB to USB mini cable are you using, if it is very new then it could be the wrong type of cable, yes there are several types depending if it is USB 2 or 3 cable... some type 3 are meant for receiving signals and DC and have a resistor built into the connector... a lot of people didn't know that ! it expects to see a trigger from the RX end to the PSU out end, my understanding is the Autel remote is still USB 2 and doesn't have any of this... I would try using the oldest USB cable you have with the Autel charger, a completely different charger ( i think you have already tried...) , any phone type charger will do and see what you get... For info; I've been charging my controllers (EVO 1 and 2) dozens and dozens of times and never had a problem, it could be a firmware glitch I guess, we learn all of the time with AUTEL... ha-ha.

I had the se exact experience two weeks ago. I depleted the RC to around 46% after and few flights. I plugged it in to charge and left it on the charger for some time while running errands. When I came home, I was expecting to see the controller off and ready to put away. To my surprise, it was 75% like your experience. Unplugged it, plugged it back in and it would shut off. Left it unplugged for a few and tried to charge it again. It charged for awhile until showing 100% on the display. Yesterday I was testing the new firmware. I used it and charged it until I heard it beep and turn green. Displayed read 100%. Later on, it was registering 98% when powered on to connect to the drone. Curious, I plugged it in again and after a short time it beeped and showed 100%. It’s held 100% since. No clue what is the deal. This is all while using the OEM charger and cables. All of these small issues are really a nuisance for the price of this thing and get really frustrating to say the least! At this point, I wish I could put this camera on my Mavic 2 Pro and ditch the rest of this nonsense! ??‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: Len
I had the se exact experience two weeks ago. I depleted the RC to around 46% after and few flights. I plugged it in to charge and left it on the charger for some time while running errands. When I came home, I was expecting to see the controller off and ready to put away. To my surprise, it was 75% like your experience. Unplugged it, plugged it back in and it would shut off. Left it unplugged for a few and tried to charge it again. It charged for awhile until showing 100% on the display. Yesterday I was testing the new firmware. I used it and charged it until I heard it beep and turn green. Displayed read 100%. Later on, it was registering 98% when powered on to connect to the drone. Curious, I plugged it in again and after a short time it beeped and showed 100%. It’s held 100% since. No clue what is the deal. This is all while using the OEM charger and cables. All of these small issues are really a nuisance for the price of this thing and get really frustrating to say the least! At this point, I wish I could put this camera on my Mavic 2 Pro and ditch the rest of this nonsense! ??‍♂️
Yes exactly same problem... Might be new firmware, I just installed it last night...

First incident above happened shortly after updating to 2.5.11 following test flights. Yesterday was after 2.5.12 test flights. It showed that it charged to 100%, but was really only charged to 98%. Charged it the rest of the way and now it is at 100%. Now I know my incident isn’t a lone occurrence, so I can only imagine others have had this happen too. Who knows? I do know that it never did this before, and I have had my unit since March.

I've also observed this, will charge to 98% and stop for a while. I think it was introduced in the latest firmware, never seen it before. It seems like 98% of the charge time is now for that last 2%

Yes. I never had this happen prior either. Who would’ve thunk, an Autel firmware bug. ?

Reactions: Andrew01
I dont think the controller has a smart battery im all most 100% that they dont if any one knows for sure please let me no Thanks Tom P.S. i know this is a old post but really would like to no for 100% sure

Any way to stop the controller from charging the phone or tablet. I think this is why the controller battery gets depleted so quickly. That plus it is powering a display as well. Probably too small a battery for the task demanded of it. At the very least a firmware update to stop or give an option to charge the phone/tablet should be a high priority for Autel.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials