Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Recording time remaining

RotoRanger

Reaction score
I do not see where the display for recording time remaining (video mode) or number of photos remaining (photo mode) is in the Sky app. It is clearly shown in the User Manual appearing along the bottom strip along with the other photo/video information and also in the Pilot Institute videos. When I ask Autel, they say that info is not available. What? Then why is it shown everywhere else I look except for on the actual running app itself? Anyone else seen this?

I do not see where the display for recording time remaining (video mode) or number of photos remaining (photo mode) is in the Sky app. It is clearly shown in the User Manual appearing along the bottom strip along with the other photo/video information and also in the Pilot Institute videos. When I ask Autel, they say that info is not available. What? Then why is it shown everywhere else I look except for on the actual running app itself? Anyone else seen this?

I can't answer your original question but I can tell you that with my EVO II Pro I simply use a 32GB microSD card and have never even come close to running out of space after countless jobs both photography and video. If you clear the card each time, use good technique when filming video (only film short clips after setting up your composition), and use a 32GB or larger microSD card, then you will never have to worry about how much space is remaining because you will never fill it up.

I never worry about remaining space for any of my cameras because I use far larger cards than I will ever need for a project.

Reactions: RotoRanger
Thanks for the prompt reply herein2021. While I use a 256GB SDXC card, I often run the video continuously for the entire flight so as to capture everything and usually at maximum resolution and quality. Also, I am often in remote locations with little opportunity to download frequently and am using multiple batteries per flight day. Still, I am not actually that concerned about running out of space, it is just that the storage info should be there and it is on every other drone I own, whether Yuneec, DJI, Autel, or otherwise. I don't understand why that very useful info is shown in their user manual and most of the instructional videos I've seen (including Pilot Institute) yet does not appear on the Autel Sky app itself. Seems very odd to me.

Thanks for the prompt reply herein2021. While I use a 256GB SDXC card, I often run the video continuously for the entire flight so as to capture everything and usually at maximum resolution and quality. Also, I am often in remote locations with little opportunity to download frequently and am using multiple batteries per flight day. Still, I am not actually that concerned about running out of space, it is just that the storage info should be there and it is on every other drone I own, whether Yuneec, DJI, Autel, or otherwise. I don't understand why that very useful info is shown in their user manual and most of the instructional videos I've seen (including Pilot Institute) yet does not appear on the Autel Sky app itself. Seems very odd to me.

I agree it should be there, Autel tends to lack many things that should be there though or that should work a certain way. I don't know if it is there for the EVO II since I've never looked for it, I don't remember seeing anything like that though, I think if I go into the Explorer app and go to the storage menu it might be there but since I've never went looking for it I am not sure. The EVO II Pro is the only Autel drone I own so I don't have the Sky App.

With my regular cameras they all show how much video time is remaining for a given resolution, but since I use 1TB cards and their display maxes out at 9999 remaining they never accurately show me how many images are remaining. Maybe due to your microSD card size the Sky App doesn't bother to calculate the remaining video/photo storage space available. You could try using a smaller microSD card to see if the display appears.

Also, for a card that large, make sure to format it as exFAT, possibly if it is not formatted as exFAT it cannot calculate the remaining space.

I agree it should be there, Autel tends to lack many things that should be there though or that should work a certain way. I don't know if it is there for the EVO II since I've never looked for it, I don't remember seeing anything like that though, I think if I go into the Explorer app and go to the storage menu it might be there but since I've never went looking for it I am not sure. The EVO II Pro is the only Autel drone I own so I don't have the Sky App.

With my regular cameras they all show how much video time is remaining for a given resolution, but since I use 1TB cards and their display maxes out at 9999 remaining they never accurately show me how many images are remaining. Maybe due to your microSD card size the Sky App doesn't bother to calculate the remaining video/photo storage space available. You could try using a smaller microSD card to see if the display appears.

Also, for a card that large, make sure to format it as exFAT, possibly if it is not formatted as exFAT it cannot calculate the remaining space.
Oh yes, absolutely formatted as exFAT. This particular EVO Lite+ was fitted with a 16GB Lexar card from the factory and the first time I preflighted the aircraft I noticed the storage information was missing, so I went into the system menu and looked for a toggle thinking that the option to display that data was simply turned off. Nope, no such setting.

It is interesting to note that when you go into the apps settings menu, you can see the capacity of the installed card and the drone's built-in storage, including the total space and the remaining available space of both, so this info is available in the app; it is just not displayed on the console during flight. Before I installed the 256GB card I was flight testing with the included 16GB card and evidently filled it up while in the air. The app notified me and asked if I wanted to switch to the drone's internal storage which I did. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, that storage option is limited to recording in 1080.

As you said, there are some things missing that you'd think would be there, but no product is perfect. I needed a backup unit that was quick to deploy, was RemoteID ready, had a 1" sensor, and no geofencing (sorry DJI); so the EVO Lite+ ticked all those boxes. I'm not sorry that I purchased it and it appears to be well engineered and solidly constructed. Just wish it had what, for a professional photo/video guy, is a standard feature; a "shots remaining" readout.

Reactions: Wingspan14
It has been a while and I was doing my usual quarterly check of the "hangar queens" when I once again ran into this issue. I thought I'd post a pic this time to see if it aligns with whatever everyone else is seeing in their Aurel Sky app. No change to the app evidently and still no "shots/footage remaining" or any other indication of how much remains on the SD card. Still drives me crazy......

Attachments

• IMG_2005.png
    IMG_2005.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy