Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Questions on the Evo2 8 K.

Wrench567

Reaction score
Hello all.
I've been contemplating an Evo2 8k for a little while. How does it fly over water? What kind of wind can it really handle? Can you add a little expo to the sticks for an old guy with shaky hands? ( I'm a thumber not a pincher.) Without holding a controller in advance, I'm not sure how it will fit me. I have umbrellas on my old Spectrum DX7. So you get the idea of what I am used too.
Thank you.
Pete.

Hello all.
I've been contemplating an Evo2 8k for a little while. How does it fly over water? What kind of wind can it really handle? Can you add a little expo to the sticks for an old guy with shaky hands? ( I'm a thumber not a pincher.) Without holding a controller in advance, I'm not sure how it will fit me. I have umbrellas on my old Spectrum DX7. So you get the idea of what I am used too.
Thank you.
Pete.

I have the EVO II 6K so the same drone just different camera. It flies great over water, I've probably flown around 200 miles so far over water since getting it in Feb. The one quirk is the obstacle avoidance (OA) gets a little unreliable if you fly too close to the waves (approximately 10' or less) on bright sunny days and it will keep halting the drone due to the sun reflecting off of the waves.

As far as wind handling, I've flown in up to 20mph wind with 30mph gusts and it was still pretty stable and it was still possible to get useable footage. The controller is one of my pet peeves, it is very uncomfortable, I've had to adjust the way I hold it because the ergonomics are so awkward. You can adjust the expo but I haven't made any adjustments; I still fly it with the settings it shipped with. The drone does not react instantly to something like shaking hands, its not like an RC helicopter where one shake could crash it; I think you will be pleasantly surprised how forgiving the controls for drones are.

I used to fly RC helicopters with a Spektrum DX7; I really can't even describe to you how different the EVO's remote is vs a Spektrum. The closest description I can come up with is its a night and day difference and most of it is in a good way.

Thank you for the reply.
I still fly RC helicopters. The expo and umbrellas really help. I'm not into the 3D stuff, more a scale type flyer. I did build an F450 drone using a Tarrot flight controller. Very docile compared to a helicopter.
It's a lot of hobby dollars to toss down. I am researching multiple manufacturers like Autel, Yuneec, and even the Swellpro splash drone 3+. Something that doesn't have Geofencing and NFZ built in. My son in law has a Phantom 4. It sucks. He can only fly it in a small area around here and it is always updating so he misses the good shots. Last summer we spotted a great white going after a seal. By the time it finished updating all that was left was a blood spot in the water. It would have been epic to get the full hunt. A $2000 drone shouldn't take twenty minutes to launch. At least make it so you can postpone the update.
Thank you again. It really helps.
Pete.

Thank you for the reply.
I still fly RC helicopters. The expo and umbrellas really help. I'm not into the 3D stuff, more a scale type flyer. I did build an F450 drone using a Tarrot flight controller. Very docile compared to a helicopter.
It's a lot of hobby dollars to toss down. I am researching multiple manufacturers like Autel, Yuneec, and even the Swellpro splash drone 3+. Something that doesn't have Geofencing and NFZ built in. My son in law has a Phantom 4. It sucks. He can only fly it in a small area around here and it is always updating so he misses the good shots. Last summer we spotted a great white going after a seal. By the time it finished updating all that was left was a blood spot in the water. It would have been epic to get the full hunt. A $2000 drone shouldn't take twenty minutes to launch. At least make it so you can postpone the update.
Pete.

In my book the EVO II with the 6K camera has no equal at the moment. I also have the P4, I have kept my iPad mini in airplane mode since 2016 just to keep it from ever updating. With the EVO II I don't have to worry about any of that.

Thank you for the reply.
Pete.
I am 78 and am in the first stages of Parkinson's. I have arthritis in both hands and have never flown anything more complicated than a kite. My doctor suggested I take up a hobby that would exercise my hand and eye coordination in order to slow down the advancement of the Parkinson's. So, on his suggestion, I decided to try flying a drone. After a little research and listening to one or two people on the internet sing the praises of the Autel support staffI I bought an EVO II.
It was one of the best investments I've ever made. The controls are very forgiving and the 4-5 (?) young men in Customer Support that handle the EVO II are the greatest. They have the patients of a saint when dealing with people like me that are,...... (let's call it) "knowledgeably challenged".

I can't compare the EVO II with any other drone as I've never flown another, but I can tell you that for someone with moderate "mobile dexterity issues " in their hands and zero knowledge of drones I don't think the EVO II can be beat.

I am 78 and am in the first stages of Parkinson's. I have arthritis in both hands and have never flown anything more complicated than a kite. My doctor suggested I take up a hobby that would exercise my hand and eye coordination in order to slow down the advancement of the Parkinson's. So, on his suggestion, I decided to try flying a drone. After a little research and listening to one or two people on the internet sing the praises of the Autel support staffI I bought an EVO II.
It was one of the best investments I've ever made. The controls are very forgiving and the 4-5 (?) young men in Customer Support that handle the EVO II are the greatest. They have the patients of a saint when dealing with people like me that are,...... (let's call it) "knowledgeably challenged".

I can't compare the EVO II with any other drone as I've never flown another, but I can tell you that for someone with moderate "mobile dexterity issues " in their hands and zero knowledge of drones I don't think the EVO II can be beat.
Congrats, gr8 to hear! As you get more familiar with the Evo II, experiment with the control stick settings adjustments as you might find some options to customize how the aircraft reacts to control inputs that are also more comfortable for you. Good luck.

Hi Wrench 567,
I am part owner in a building and roof inspection business in Brisbane Australia and we have 3 Yuneec Typhoon H'S ,a Parrot Anarfi , and now a 8K and 6 k EVO'S. We are very happy with the EVO's and use them 85 to 95% of the jobs. The Yuneec's in 40 MPH +winds but Evos not far behind, magnificent machines and you can tune the sticks as well as when you launch and hover put it in PRECISION MODE and it flies ever so gently. Best investment so far. Johnno Hennessy. Australia
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy