Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Question for video expects

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
OK so lately I have been shooting all my video in LOG and color grading it to my liking. My question is this when recording in LOG can we use ND filters? Does it help or make things worse? Adding a filter am I screwing up the whole idea of recording in LOG?
?

The purpose of the ND is to allow you to use the proper shutter speed/frame rate combination to get the "normal" or :natural" or "cinematic" motion blur. basically it gives you the equivalent of a diaphragm (fstop) without having to compromise your focus depth. Even if you are cutting in LOG you need the ND filters when conditions require them. You are not doing any damage or will there be any difference if using LOG or any other picture style.

Reactions: Goober and Ansia
This video you will see Tim use his preferred settings. He is using a ND filter and shooting on LOG. You should be good to go.

I don't normally use ND for outdoor stuff because I am not moving and the motion I am filming is general or what can be considered normal motion. When I film indoors on the stage you have intense stage lighting and you can have fast motion. ND filters help with motion blur and level tones. sometimes if its a media call for example and something happens then you don't have to time to set up. so I go with exposure and let the cam deal with shutter speed. some fun stuff with the st Petersburg ballet company = no ND filters lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d