Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Prop Guards?

The mini will drift indoors if you let it, particular when it loses GPS, however if you stay ahead of the aircraft (e.g. stay in control, anticipate its drift, vs constantly reacting), it can be quite stable. And yes, with no OA, mini does not try to do things that an OA/AI enabled aircraft might try to do. Speaking of which, while OA is handy even indoors for projects, its also handy to turn it off indoors and outdoors if you dont need it. Granted, it puts more responsibility on the operator to see and avoid, however it also relieves the operator of having to counter OA when not needed.

I was referring to the constant lack of stick control and the crash that @tvwxman mentioned. Controlling drift indoors is a piece of cake, I used to fly RC helis, nothing comes close (maybe FPV drones) to the level of control you need for that.

In this particular video OA absolutely needed to be off, the space was way too small for OA to do pretty much anything except lock up the aircraft. I have experienced the same thing when trying to bring in the EVO II to land in tight spaces; its pretty much impossible until I turn the OA off; nothing more annoying than trying to land with OA while surrounded by obstacles and no way to turn off auto landing. I miss the P4 days where I had 100% control over the drone 100% of the time, the inability to turn off auto landing is another pet peeve of mine.

For the large commercial spaces that I film, OA would be useful indoors, but would still need to be turned off for certain detail shots or tighter spaces.

I was referring to the constant lack of stick control and the crash that @tvwxman mentioned. Controlling drift indoors is a piece of cake, I used to fly RC helis, nothing comes close (maybe FPV drones) to the level of control you need for that.
Some of the FPVs I have flown are actually very stable, assuming you know how and can fly by sticks vs. leveraging automation. Otoh, there are some very low end quads (e.g. in the $100 or less range) that will drift a lot, granted they tend to have prop cages and ability to trim. Yup, have flown singles (e.g. rc helos), some are stable, some get you to learn to use sticks, trim, etc. Key is learning how to use the sticks, plan for drift (even an E2P can drift indoors with no GPS, low light, etc).
In this particular video OA absolutely needed to be off, the space was way too small for OA to do pretty much anything except lock up the aircraft.
Concur, I have OA enable/disable as one of my buttons on controller.
I have experienced the same thing when trying to bring in the EVO II to land in tight spaces; its pretty much impossible until I turn the OA off; nothing more annoying than trying to land with OA while surrounded by obstacles and no way to turn off auto landing.
Yup, one of reasons I have OA enable/disable set as one of controller buttons, handy on windy days for landing (manual or auto), as well as when in flight. There is a trick however found with EVO IIs in that there is a blind spot in its left rear and right rear vision which is about halfway from side and rear. Granted easier to turn oa off, however, if you cant adjust forward or back, left or right when trying to land, try rotating about 45 degrees and crabbing. Have used it a few times, can come in handy.
I miss the P4 days where I had 100% control over the drone 100% of the time, the inability to turn off auto landing is another pet peeve of mine.
My P4P has me spoiled, however my E2P and E28K have become main workhorses for indoor and outdoor projects. Have not run into issues with auto land as dont use it much.
For the large commercial spaces that I film, OA would be useful indoors, but would still need to be turned off for certain detail shots or tighter spaces.
Yes for my commercial projects, both indoor and outdoor, there are times where I turn OA off, particular indoors in tight spaces when have prop guards on to have more and better control. For very tight spaces have used mini and where eventually will use either FPV or replace mini with a lite+. For larger indoor commercial projects, tend to leave OA on, adjust volume as needed. The OA can be handy tool however also can get in the way, especially in tight quarters. Again, thats where stick flying and practice comes into play

How do you avoid the auto landing feature? There is no way that I am aware of to turn it off unless a newer firmware version allows you to turn it off.
Look at the visual navigation settings, adjust as needed. I rarely do complete hands off auto lands other than for practice (including practicing RTH now and then) or for demos. Normally will do the final 20-30' manually, overriding OA if needed, or doing the trick mentioned up above.

If you study the video closely you will see that all of the problems in the video including the crash were caused by obstacle avoidance....in the video he kept mentioning that the sticks were unresponsive, that is because the drone was being flown in a tiny space with OA on, I am surprised it even left the ground.

IMO this is a poor representation of what the Nano can do indoors. I am interested in replacing my Mini with the Nano for indoor real estate video projects as well, and there is no way I would even pull out a drone in a space that small.

I get it was just a test but to be a proper test even indoors there would need to be more space or at least turn off the OA. From my point of view the Nano performed admirably well in such a tiny space with OA on and I think it is a good candidate to replace my Mini for the bigger commercial and residential real estate video projects.

And to answer your original question, does the DJI Mini perform like that indoors and the answer is no.....but guess what....the Mini does not have OA.
Are you sure about that @herein2021 ?

At 1:04 of his first video he mentions that he has OA off. Unless I missed it, I didn't see a specific reference to OA on or off in the second nine minute video he posted. And that is why I presume you were forced to deduce he had OA on due to the unresponsive sticks. While that is certainly a logical conclusion, a couple things shed doubt for me. First, he encountered most of his stick problems after that crash. where he suffered some damage to the props. But more convincing to me was the fact he was having the same problem outdoors toward the end of the video with more clearance there.

Then, he replaced the damaged prop(s) and took off his modified prop cages. Voila'! He has stick control again. I'm beginning to think this might have been more of a referendum on using unauthorized cages and/or flying with damaged props than a referendum on the Nano+'s ability to recover from a bump. Thoughts?

Reactions: herein2021
I'm beginning to think this might have been more of a referendum on using unauthorized cages and/or flying with damaged props than a referendum on the Nano+'s ability to recover from a bump.
Concur about using modified or unauthorized cages and damaged props.

Looking closely at the prop cage, it has a funny shaped connection between the front and rear on each side.

On the EVO II prop guards, the front and rear are separate attaching to each leg, and there is another connection between the front and rear prop guard that needs to be connected. If that is not connected, during a bump the aircraft would not have rigidity and an arm could move.

Not sure about the ones being used in the demo, however the prop cage for my mini is a one piece rigid per side.

The prop cage for my regular mavic is a hinged one piece per side. If that hinge is broken or not present, or gets damaged during a bump, bad things can happen. Also as an fyi/fwiw, you can sometimes hear if a prop is damaged even if aircraft still flying ok, it can be a bit louder...

Reactions: tvwxman
Are you sure about that @herein2021 ?

At 1:04 of his first video he mentions that he has OA off. Unless I missed it, I didn't see a specific reference to OA on or off in the second nine minute video he posted. And that is why I presume you were forced to deduce he had OA on due to the unresponsive sticks. While that is certainly a logical conclusion, a couple things shed doubt for me. First, he encountered most of his stick problems after that crash. where he suffered some damage to the props. But more convincing to me was the fact he was having the same problem outdoors toward the end of the video with more clearance there.

Then, he replaced the damaged prop(s) and took off his modified prop cages. Voila'! He has stick control again. I'm beginning to think this might have been more of a referendum on using unauthorized cages and/or flying with damaged props than a referendum on the Nano+'s ability to recover from a bump. Thoughts?

I will admit that I did not watch the whole video and muted the audio due to the audio track used. I 100% agree with you, it could have been the modified cage or damaged prop....I only watched a little of the video so I was not aware he had that many problems going on.

This is why it is hard for me to reach solid conclusions on products based on most YouTube videos; typically there is more to the story than meets the eye, a setting is set wrong, or the testing process just isn't valid. Damaged prop + wrong prop cage could cause all kinds of undesirable side effects. Gerald Undone and a few others on YouTube set the real gold standard for reviews the rest I tend to take with a lot of grains of salt.

If a full prop cage and case for the Nano with prop cage installed is released for the Nano I will probably make the switch without relying too much on the reviews.

Look at the visual navigation settings, adjust as needed. I rarely do complete hands off auto lands other than for practice (including practicing RTH now and then) or for demos. Normally will do the final 20-30' manually, overriding OA if needed, or doing the trick mentioned up above.

There is nothing in that menu that allows you to disable auto landing, even with OA off, even at night that "feature" is still enabled unless it was introduced in newer firmware; once the drone gets within ~3' of the ground there is no way to control anything except altitude with my EVO II as it lands.

Last edited:
Reactions: tvwxman

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg