Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Prop Guards?

Has anyone seen whether prop guards will be available for the Nano/Nano+?

The big question is...will there be a case that lets you store the drone with the prop guards still on. I have the DJI Mavic Mini with prop guards for indoor drone projects and the prop guards are very difficult and time consuming to put on and take off so I found the only vendor making a case that includes cutouts and the size needed to store the drone with prop guards still attached, remote, and batteries. Keeping them on is a big time saver so hopefully someone makes something like that for the Nano.

Reactions: tvwxman
DJI Mavic Mini with prop guards for indoor drone projects and the prop guards are very difficult and time consuming to put on and take off
Are you using prop guards, or the MM prop cage? Have not used the prop guards, however the MM prop cage is super easy and fast to put on and take off. The only trick is remembering or marking which is left and right, top and bottom, the rest is fast, unless you have leg extenders or some other modification. The biggest challenge with all the prop guards and cages is where to store or carry them unless you have a very large carry case or bag. Btw, the prop cages for MM and prop guards for regular Mavics and EVO II also come in very handy for some outdoor projects, as well as for those that combine indoor/outdoor.

Reactions: Felix the Cat
I found prop guards with picture unavailable, and called and,they said out of stock….

Interesting, like the cage vs simple bumper guards, does the nano detect that there is a payload/propguard similar to with DJIs? With the EVO IIs it does detect, or prompt if using prop guards, curious if the nano does, or, if it has enough power that it does care.

Could not tell from the footage, how is prop downwash and updraft with the nano? With the mini it can blow papers off of counters, desks, etc. Looks like inside drift similar to DJI mini, how much if any GPS did you have inside?

Wow! Thanks for the great post and video. Overall, this was rather disappointing. I didn't expect the drone to completely lose its orientation and stability from a simple bump in the wall leading to a crash landing. Maybe my expectations were too high, do the DJI Mini's also react the same way when attempting indoor flights with wall bumps (using prop guards)? Thanks!

Maybe my expectations were too high, do the DJI Mini's also react the same way when attempting indoor flights with wall bumps (using prop guards)? Thanks!
Depends on the type and severity of the bump. Have flown minis as well as well as regular mavics and EVOIIs bump off or against things no issue, in some cases from video footage depending on camera angle would not have even known.

Otoh, if you get a bump that involves an upset, severe angle, damage a prop, or where there is not room or altitude to correct, can get similar behavior from mini, mavic and even an EVO II as it tries to correct.

This is also where an emergency shutdown sequence can come in handy. Speaking of handy, the prop cage on the mavic mini is good, however becarefull trying to hand grab one in such a situation as it will leave a "red" mark and does not feel good.

Wow! Thanks for the great post and video. Overall, this was rather disappointing. I didn't expect the drone to completely lose its orientation and stability from a simple bump in the wall leading to a crash landing. Maybe my expectations were too high, do the DJI Mini's also react the same way when attempting indoor flights with wall bumps (using prop guards)? Thanks!
Something else to watch out for is the downdraft/prop wash and adjacent turbulent updrafts. Thus my question up thread as did not see any papers flying around. Even with a mini I can move lots of paperwork off of the desk or counter ;). Likewise have seen papers, plastic bags, other light items end up floating upwards from the updraft adjacent to the downward propwash.

Thanks very much, good info! I was really hoping to buy this for my real estate services, but until somebody posts a video showing that this unit can handle a few small wall bumps, I think I will stay on the sideline for now!

In my view any wall bump is a colliision, either an unfortunate accident or a product of poor quality device operation. Wall bumps should be avoided, as any collision should be avoided. After such a collision, there's instinctive stick moves that prevent most follow on catastrophes. I'm not pointing a finger at anyone in this thread. In general, on a wall bump, survival honed thumb responses will pull the aircraft quickly at least a foot away from the collision point towards open air, drop to at least a foot below the ceiling (if it is close), and pull slowly and steadily towards the centre of the internal airspace (middle of the room at mid altitude). Followed by a prompt landing, if you want to prioritize aircraft longevity.

Great tips!!! No doubt, my plan will never include wall bumps as I'm just as concerned about any potential scuffs in a home I don't own. But it would also be reassuring knowing there might be a safety net there in case of a minor mishap.

Great tips!!! No doubt, my plan will never include wall bumps as I'm just as concerned about any potential scuffs in a home I don't own. But it would also be reassuring knowing there might be a safety net there in case of a minor mishap.
Well said. In due course, if Autel does not provide, I expect that AliExpress will. As a prospective professional user, you're wise to take the prudent view.

If you study the video closely you will see that all of the problems in the video including the crash were caused by obstacle avoidance....in the video he kept mentioning that the sticks were unresponsive, that is because the drone was being flown in a tiny space with OA on, I am surprised it even left the ground.

IMO this is a poor representation of what the Nano can do indoors. I am interested in replacing my Mini with the Nano for indoor real estate video projects as well, and there is no way I would even pull out a drone in a space that small.

I get it was just a test but to be a proper test even indoors there would need to be more space or at least turn off the OA. From my point of view the Nano performed admirably well in such a tiny space with OA on and I think it is a good candidate to replace my Mini for the bigger commercial and residential real estate video projects.

And to answer your original question, does the DJI Mini perform like that indoors and the answer is no.....but guess what....the Mini does not have OA.

And to answer your original question, does the DJI Mini perform like that indoors and the answer is no.....but guess what....the Mini does not have OA.
The mini will drift indoors if you let it, particular when it loses GPS, however if you stay ahead of the aircraft (e.g. stay in control, anticipate its drift, vs constantly reacting), it can be quite stable. And yes, with no OA, mini does not try to do things that an OA/AI enabled aircraft might try to do. Speaking of which, while OA is handy even indoors for projects, its also handy to turn it off indoors and outdoors if you dont need it. Granted, it puts more responsibility on the operator to see and avoid, however it also relieves the operator of having to counter OA when not needed.

Reactions: ztectic

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwoody