Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

precision flight versus dual stability

bruik

Reaction score
Dear forum members,
When would it make more sense to use the precision flight mode or when the dual stability mode during filming?
Seems to me that they have more or less the same purpose?
Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Precision Mode allows you to adjust specific speed in yaw, horizontal and vertical controls, while Dual Stability just dampens the movements with no user input adjustments for smoother movements and stops. Hope that clears it up for you. Adios!

Reactions: gschulzuio
Thank you Cicero. Still not really clear when to choose which mode for filming, but I guess I should just experiment.

Normally I do not use any of the flight modes and fly manually, but when I use precision mode, I adjust the control to my liking when I want very slow and smooth footage. Dual stability just dampens the flight characteristics some and can be used for general flying and filming when you do not want hard stops and turns. Dual stability would be like DJI’s tripod mode and dual stability wiild be equivalent to DJI Cine mode on the original Mavic Pro if you have any experience with DJI.

Happy to help. Like you said already, experimenting with the modes will greatly help you get comfortable with the abilities of each mode and help you find what’s best for your level or type of flying. Just be aware…while flying in Dual Stability Mode, the braking is also dampened so the braking is much more exaggerated than in normal mode. It glides more to a stop than hard braking.

Reactions: Rubik3x
@bruik I'm with @Cicero24 I personally never use any mode except manual everything. My experience over the years is that your best bet is to hone your skills doing everything manually so that you always know what the craft is doing and how to control it when it's doing something you don't want. To truly get the best footage if you focus more on your composition, camera movement, color grading, and post process editing you will have better outcomes nearly every time vs the person who relied on all of these tools.

There is one exception for me and that is shooting hyperlapses and timelapses. Its simply impossible to keep the precise movement needed for hyperlapses or the precise timing needed for timelapses so if that is your thing then you will need to rely on automation for those.

Thank you @herein2021 for your insights.
Is there any concensus on what the best settings are for a smooth flight in terms of exp and sensitivity.
I expect the answer to be that that is personal ;-)
But than maybe an advice on where to start with these settings?

Thank you @herein2021 for your insights.
Is there any concensus on what the best settings are for a smooth flight in terms of exp and sensitivity.
I expect the answer to be that that is personal ;-)
But than maybe an advice on where to start with these settings?

Honestly, I hate tuning anything. I like to fly with straight out of the box settings and instead "tune" myself to adjust my stick input. I own multiple DJI drones and the EVO II....every one of them flies slightly differently. If I were to tune each one I'd still have problems transitioning from one to the other and if the tuning got reset now I'm spending hrs resetting everything back up.

I'm the same way with all of my camera gear; I don't map custom buttons, I don't customize nearly anything except a few favorites menus; instead I build muscle memory for where the manufacturer put things and drones are no different. With both the DJI drones and the EVO II, the only thing I have changed is the gimbal tilt speed which I brought down to 10 in the EVO II. I use 10 when I want cinematic and I use a setting of 30 when I'm tracking faster objects like cars and boats. Other than that, I just refine my stick input based on the drone's factory settings.

The EVO II's straight out of box settings are in my opinion actually much easier to get good footage with vs the DJI drones....the DJI drones require a lighter touch and are nearly unusable in Sport Mode; with the EVO II I've found myself using even Ludicrous mode to get useable footage because it handles so well.

With each drone that I buy, I go to a park and practice standard Hollywood movements with it (dolly in/out, truck left/right, pedestal up/down, orbit right/left, tilt up/down), I turn on the cross hairs in the app, and I focus on smoothing the movements via the stick input. A few hours of that and you get a much better feel for how the drone flies and how the resulting footage looks vs trying to tune it to your liking or using special modes to try to compensate for accidental stick input.

Reactions: UasDriver
Here’s my personal settings. Every one has a different flavor and taste, but these work for me and it flies close to my Mavic 2 this way. Try em’ out and see how you like them.

Attachments

• B99C9246-D1E8-4859-AFFD-95250CC858E4.png
    B99C9246-D1E8-4859-AFFD-95250CC858E4.png
    254 KB · Views: 76
  • 1E22C1D7-F52B-4CA2-8887-61CCB30BD843.png
    1E22C1D7-F52B-4CA2-8887-61CCB30BD843.png
    292.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 4C44C3C6-0031-419D-9093-C041D421E35A.png
    4C44C3C6-0031-419D-9093-C041D421E35A.png
    349.8 KB · Views: 75
No problem. Give em’ a try and see what suits your own taste and style. Let us know how it goes and what you settle with. It may help someone else as well with sharing your own experiences too.

Reactions: BradM75
Thanks again guys.
For now I settle for the following numbers:
ATT 80
BRAKE 90
YAW 30
EXP THR .3
EXP ROTATE .25
EXP F/R .35
EXP L/R .45
GIMBAL 20
As you guys said, it is a matter of experimenting.
Also I like the advise of herein2021.... just fly
www.bpdp.nl ;-)

Here’s my personal settings. Every one has a different flavor and taste, but these work for me and it flies close to my Mavic 2 this way. Try em’ out and see how you like them.
can i ask what app your on i only have 3 EXP setting 1- up and down 2- yaw 3-left right forward back and thats it im on app v1.1.7.19 thats one down from the newest i think

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller