Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Powered-Up Evo 2 8k w/Gimbal Cover On

rangerb3

Reaction score
I powered up my Evo 2 8k with the gimbal cover on. I was getting ready to fly when the explorer app said there was a gimbal failure and then I realized I had forgotten to remove the plastic cover. I removed the cover and powered down the drone and then powered it back up, it went though the gimbal check sequence and everything seemed fine...

It didn’t this time...but, Could that damage anything?

Reactions: Eagle928
Yes, it can damage the gimbal motors... any camera's startup sequence is going to have some type of gimbal check, where it is assumed the gimbal is free and clear to move. Many pilots have placed some sort of decal on the gimbal cover to act as a reminder.

Yes, it can damage the gimbal motors... any camera's startup sequence is going to have some type of gimbal check, where it is assumed the gimbal is free and clear to move. Many pilots have placed some sort of decal on the gimbal cover to act as a reminder.
I like the "Remove Before Flight" streamers and a reminder; something like this.

RemoveBeforeFlight.jpeg
RemoveCoverStupid.jpg

I like the "Remove Before Flight" streamers and a reminder; something like this.

View attachment 9929
View attachment 9930
I like the stickers! Exactly what I felt like when I saw the gimbal error on the app screen! I’ll order the remove-before-flight keychain just to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I’m thinking maybe I got lucky this time because everything seemed to be working ok after power cycling the drone with the cover removed.

I've done it a couple of times with no damage.

A good feature so that dummies like me who forget once in a while doesn't damage the gimbal would be a fail-safe feature that stops the drone from continuing its start up checks and shuts down or maybe gives some beeps or something to let us know I/we screwed up. Maybe there is already one built in.

Here's a thread with some ideas on how to attach the tag. I used thick thread I use for leather work through a drilled hole so the camera doesn't touch any metal as I place or remove the gimbal cover.

I powered up my Evo 2 8k with the gimbal cover on. I was getting ready to fly when the explorer app said there was a gimbal failure and then I realized I had forgotten to remove the plastic cover. I removed the cover and powered down the drone and then powered it back up, it went though the gimbal check sequence and everything seemed fine...

It didn’t this time...but, Could that damage anything?

I have already done it once...a few times here or there you should be ok but its definitely not a good thing. I believe DJI had an overload detection feature that would shut off power to the gimbal immediately if it was overloaded; you could tell when it kicked in because it would go completely limp for a few seconds. I am not sure if the EVO has this feature. My trick to help me remember is I don't unfold the last two legs until I remove the gimbal cover.

Reactions: Eagle928
I have already done it once...a few times here or there you should be ok but its definitely not a good thing. I believe DJI had an overload detection feature that would shut off power to the gimbal immediately if it was overloaded; you could tell when it kicked in because it would go completely limp for a few seconds. I am not sure if the EVO has this feature. My trick to help me remember is I don't unfold the last two legs until I remove the gimbal cover.
I like that. Make a new habit. I'll try that too.

My trick to help me remember is I don't unfold the last two legs until I remove the gimbal cover.
That's a good idea! I need to establish some good habits to follow. I have a checklist I use in my airplane, I guess I'll sit down and put together a "short list" and work on creating some new habits!

Last edited:
Someone on FB says he uses some high vis yarn he has taped to the gimbal cover that he wraps around the bird so he doesn't forget. That's another idea I was thinking of implementing. It only takes a second to unwrap two wraps of yarn and it must be done before opening the legs.

Left the guard on 1st start up. Solved that by carrying the drone upside down to the launch pad. 4 months in and I still carry it upside down ?
I think that's why it easy to forget. It's more or less out of sight. As they say; out of sight out of mind.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials