Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Portrait / Vertical Mode

JamesBigleyRanches

Reaction score
Searched and this was asked in 2020, anyone find a quick way to do vertical or portraits for the EVO 2? DJI has this option. With growing amount of social media platforms using this format I personally think this is a large flaw with the EVO. Cheers

Searched and this was asked in 2020, anyone find a quick way to do vertical or portraits for the EVO 2? DJI has this option. With growing amount of social media platforms using this format I personally think this is a large flaw with the EVO. Cheers

It is actually very simple.....shoot in normal landscape mode then crop to 4x5 for optimal social media framing. I shoot for everything from social media influencers to commercial clients who need social media optimized content.

Within my NLE (Davinci Resolve), I have set up project presets for social media content and I then select "Fill" for the video fill mode, the last step is to reframe your content as needed to fit the new aspect ratio.

I actually much prefer to shoot in 16x9 then crop to 4x5 because that way my content is properly framed for both YouTube, TV commercial delivery, and social media.

Photography is even easier, once again, simply shoot in normal landscape mode then crop to 4x5 in post and reframe the content as needed; keep some space on the sides so that when you apply the crop you do not affect the desired composition. I do wish Autel provided framing guides that could be turned on in the app so that I could see what content will fit in the 4x5 crop, but its really minor. Most of my regular cameras do not have this either so by now I mentally know approximately what will fit into the 4x5 crop.

You can see an example of this with one of my recent projects, here is the event in normal landscape delivery:

And here is the same event posted to IG:

Reactions: JamesBigleyRanches
It is actually very simple.....shoot in normal landscape mode then crop to 4x5 for optimal social media framing. I shoot for everything from social media influencers to commercial clients who need social media optimized content.

Within my NLE (Davinci Resolve), I have set up project presets for social media content and I then select "Fill" for the video fill mode, the last step is to reframe your content as needed to fit the new aspect ratio.

I actually much prefer to shoot in 16x9 then crop to 4x5 because that way my content is properly framed for both YouTube, TV commercial delivery, and social media.

Photography is even easier, once again, simply shoot in normal landscape mode then crop to 4x5 in post and reframe the content as needed; keep some space on the sides so that when you apply the crop you do not affect the desired composition. I do wish Autel provided framing guides that could be turned on in the app so that I could see what content will fit in the 4x5 crop, but its really minor. Most of my regular cameras do not have this either so by now I mentally know approximately what will fit into the 4x5 crop.

You can see an example of this with one of my recent projects, here is the event in normal landscape delivery:

And here is the same event posted to IG:

Would you be remotely interested in showing me how to do this? I would pay for your time. I appreciate it!

Would you be remotely interested in showing me how to do this? I would pay for your time. I appreciate it!

Sure, no problem. Within Lightroom, you just pick the 4x5 aspect ratio and reframe, below are screenshots. IMO this is better than letting the camera throw away all of the data except the center of the sensor. Later you may want the full image or your client may not like the cropped version and if you have preset the crop you cannot later deliver the full image.

Here is an image from a recent project color graded and with the original full sensor aspect ratio. This would obviously not work for social media platforms due to the aspect ratio. Notice how I left space on all sides of the image for social media delivery.

SOOC_AspectRatio.JPG

Within Lightroom click the crop button, then select 4x5 aspect ratio. From there reframe your composition to your liking for social media as shown below.

New_AspectRatio-4x5.JPG

The final image for the client would be the proper aspect ratio and vertical as shown below.

Final_Image-SocialMedia.jpg

Any photo editor can do the same thing as long as the crop tool has an aspect ratio option. For video you do the exact same thing. Within Davinci Resolve I have created a preset that is the exact dimensions that are recommended for IG video posts. The preset sets my timeline to 1080 x 1350. From there I go to the clips in the timeline > highlight them > Retime and Scaling > Scaling > Fill. As shown below I then have a perfectly formatted IG vertical video.

The thing to keep in mind while filming, since there are no aspect ratio guides is to keep the key subject matter as much in the middle of the frame as possible, Cropping to 4x5 will crop just the sides, not the top or bottom, so I keep the center cross hairs on for all of my cameras and keep room on the sides. If you do end up with something that looks strange when cropped you can always slide the crop left or right to improve the composition. For example, in the image above I wanted a little of the glint of the sunlight off of the water so I slid the aspect ratio crop a little to the left to capture some of it.

DavinciResolve-AspectRatio.jpg

Social media has other aspect ratios other than 4x5 as well, IG is notorious for this depending on what area you are posting to (reels, stories, posts, etc.). To me it is not worth it to deliver to all the different formats so I stick to 4x5 which works for IG posts and FB posts, and of course 16x9 for YouTube, Vimeo, and commercial delivery.

Reactions: JamesBigleyRanches
Go to live in settings and switch to portrait mode👊🏾

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jstewie86