Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

PolarPro ND Filters?

easyheimer

Reaction score
I just purchased an Autel Evo and I’m looking into getting my Part 107 certification as well so I can eventually use it to make some money. I don’t know too much about photography so that’s something else I’m looking into learning a lot about so I can be knowledgable about it. The bundle I purchased came with PolarPro ND Filters. Are these something I’ll want to use all the time? Which one do you recommend using most of the time? They are labeled ND4/PL, ND8/PL and ND16/PL. Which is the one I’ll want to keep on?

Thank you in advance!

There is no easy or universal answer. The filter has a specific purpose and it is really dependent on the light conditions and the "effect" you want....I would suggest you spend some time researching by looking at the many YouTube videos regarding the filters use and why you would use it....maybe familiarize your self with basic photography also....

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
NDs not needed for general photo work. Just set exposure.

For video use the one that will get your exposure right with the shutter speed close to twice the frames per second your shooting at. Generally bright sun will call for the 16ND, overcast but not too dark the 8ND, even less light the 4ND or none at all.

I just purchased an Autel Evo and I’m looking into getting my Part 107 certification as well so I can eventually use it to make some money. I don’t know too much about photography so that’s something else I’m looking into learning a lot about so I can be knowledgable about it. The bundle I purchased came with PolarPro ND Filters. Are these something I’ll want to use all the time? Which one do you recommend using most of the time? They are labeled ND4/PL, ND8/PL and ND16/PL. Which is the one I’ll want to keep on?

Thank you in advance!

You can't just buy a drone and start making money. If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it. And everyone is.
Or at least trying to.
Not knowing anything about photography makes the hurdle even higher.
If you have to ask what " Polarize filters" do, there will be a steep learning curve.
They do the same thing as your sunglasses.

Yes you might want to use them a lot, depending.
This dependent on the exposure you're trying to achieve.
Then you have to learn composition and how to compose a scene, and that can vary about 200 different ways until you learn to use thirds.
Its not as easy as buy a drone, then make money in about a year. Or two.
You're competing with millions of people who are all thinking the same thing that you're thinking. And about 1/3 of them ( or more) have been into painting with light for many years.
Not saying it can't be done. But it aint gonna happen overnight.
I have more I could add to this but I would be here all night. So, well, anyway.

EDIT: Ooops..........the ND filters easy answer : The higher the number the darker your sunglasses.

I wish you good luck.
Sincerely,
J Lo's Butt

That chart is worthless for video and NDs are really not needed for photos unless going for longer exposures.
@parkgt You are correct that chart is useless in the real world. I shoot video for a living and I rarely use ND's with any of my cameras or drones. If you are shooting with the EVO adjusting the Kelvin for WB and dialing in with the exposure control will get you great footage
If I do use a filter it is never never beyond an ND 8. Here is a comparison of filters shot on an H480.
H480 / Peau 3.97 Gimbal tuneup/test shoot. ND8 - ND4 - Clear UV

Reactions: parkgt
@parkgt You are correct that chart is useless in the real world. I shoot video for a living and I rarely use ND's with any of my cameras or drones. If you are shooting with the EVO adjusting the Kelvin for WB and dialing in with the exposure control will get you great footage
If I do use a filter it is never never beyond an ND 8. Here is a comparison of filters shot on an H480.
H480 / Peau 3.97 Gimbal tuneup/test shoot. ND8 - ND4 - Clear UV
I respectfully disagree. The real world can get very, very bright under certain lighting conditions, and you can’t always deal with it using video camera settings. Flying slower and changing camera angles helps, but what if your chosen angle includes very bright backlit rolling clouds?

I’ve used ND-8’s with great success, especially in Hawaii, when shooting under these kind of conditions— bright rolling cloudy landscape video. Without ND’s the jello effect was pretty severe. I was amazed how well the filters worked in those specific conditions. Sure, you can deal with it in post production using Final Cut or whatever, but it’s much easier to try ND’s as a first line of defense. I always have them with me now....

Last edited:
NDs not needed for general photo work. Just set exposure.

For video use the one that will get your exposure right with the shutter speed close to twice the frames per second your shooting at. Generally bright sun will call for the 16ND, overcast but not too dark the 8ND, even less light the 4ND or none at all.
I think this is a good recommendation. To elaborate on the frame rate vs shutter, if you are shooting 4k at 60 fps, you want your shutter speed to be 1/120. If you shoot 30 fps, you ideally want the shutter at 1/60, shooting at 120fps you want the shutter as close to 1/240 as possible.

One thing I found when starting with a new drone, take off with your video resolution and frame rate set at what you want, say 4k-60 as an example, aim your camera at what you want to shoot with the camera set on auto and see what shutter speed it uses. Land, throw on an ND filter and try it again and see what it sets the shutter speed at, and repeat with a different ND until you get the shutter speed where you want it. This will give you an idea of the proper conditions for each ND, and it will get you close in terms of dialing in your drone.
You may want it a little darker or lighter than what the drone does on auto, but the Evo is generally pretty good at getting close. This is a good starting point for you. Then experiment and go from there and start setting things manually. Read lots of articles, practice, and you'll get the hang of it. You will begin to notice things better and get a better idea of how to best dial in your settings. You will notice things like it will want to underexpose snow and overexpose dark fields, and you'll already know which way to move your settings.
Whether you're shooting video with a drone or with a big ENG camera on the ground, the more you shoot, the better a feel you get for the equipment. And ask questions when you have them. The Evo is small, portable, and very affordable, but is very capable of getting amazing video the more you use it.
Once you get better with the camera, you'll probably have spent some time in post and be getting better with editing software as well, and things like color grading, and you'll want to try shooting in the log format. Never stop learning and experimenting.

Reactions: parkgt
Hey what would I use my ND1000 for? :p
Was lucky to have Freewell send me a free one to try, never used it yet. Maybe this spring when the river opens up and the falls up the road are rushing I might give it a go to get some long exposures.

20200222_141006_HDR.jpg

Was lucky to have Freewell send me a free one to try, never used it yet. Maybe this spring when the river opens up and the falls up the road are rushing I might give it a go to get some long exposures.

View attachment 6308
You use the ND1,000 for night flying ??

I have to admit of all the videos I have done with ND filters I only had two that I thought they helped. One of my questions I think I have asked before but not sure which forum I might have asked this is when having your setting on LOG do you or should you use a ND filter? If I shoot in LOG its because I want to color grade it. Will ND filters help or hinder the final video shooting in LOG?

In my opinion ND filters will not help or hinder video shot in log as far as color grading is concerned. Polarized/ND might have an affect on a video shot in log...not sure.
ND has more to do with slowing down the shutter for motion blur than anything else.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52

View attachment 6308
Very long exposures in very bright conditions, more for artistic effects like motion blur or smoothing flowing water. Really not much practical value for day-to-day photo work and way to dark for video.

I have to admit of all the videos I have done with ND filters I only had two that I thought they helped. One of my questions I think I have asked before but not sure which forum I might have asked this is when having your setting on LOG do you or should you use a ND filter? If I shoot in LOG its because I want to color grade it. Will ND filters help or hinder the final video shooting in LOG?

Your really should not see any visual effect from using an ND. It is all about getting you where you want to be in the "Exposure Triangle" at the frame rate you are using. See the very good more detailed explanation in post #9 above.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy