Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Pixel 4 XL

Ansia

Reaction score
Today I bought a Pixel 4 XL, because my Galaxy S8's battery is tired and needs rest. Any fellow pilots own this phone? How does it perform for flying? I loaded the app and it works, but don't have much time to actually test it for flying in the next few days.

How does it fare against the sun? This is where I worry. My S8 was 1000 nits. The Pixel is 440 nits, but has an anti glare coating.

Any help is appreciated.

Today I bought a Pixel 4 XL, because my Galaxy S8's battery is tired and needs rest. Any fellow pilots own this phone? How does it perform for flying? I loaded the app and it works, but don't have much time to actually test it for flying in the next few days.

How does it fare against the sun? This is where I worry. My S8 was 1000 nits. The Pixel is 440 nits, but has an anti glare coating.

Any help is appreciated.
Gosh, since Friday you still have no reply. I have a PIxel 3aXL. From what I've read the Pixels are not very bright for drone flying. I have not tried mine. I use the "Wunder Phone" so popular a year or so ago, an inexpensive Huawei phone sold for a low price but with bright screen. I got a $10/mo. SIM card from Red Pocket mobile, but one could also just fly without a SIM card, using WiFi now and then to get updates. Just go to the Mavic Pilots page and look up Wunder Phone or Wonder Phone. I'm sure they're still around. I've never wanted to sue a tablet because they are so big, taking the "portable" out of the experience. Didn't help you much on the 4 XL but at least you have some input. Speaking of the PIxels, they are really fine, with all those constant updates and now call screening.

Reactions: Ansia
I have a pixel 3XL. It's the only phone I've ever flown the EVO with so I can't compare. It seems pretty good to me.
If you search Reddit for "Pixel brightness nits", you will find some discussion of various measurement methods. It suggests that all of the individual pixels on the Pixel phone go to the full brightness (400 nit), while only a small percentage of the pixels on the Samsung go to the full brightness. This may explain why the P3XL (and presumably the 4XL) is OK

Reactions: Ansia
Gosh, since Friday you still have no reply. I have a PIxel 3aXL. From what I've read the Pixels are not very bright for drone flying. I have not tried mine. I use the "Wunder Phone" so popular a year or so ago, an inexpensive Huawei phone sold for a low price but with bright screen. I got a $10/mo. SIM card from Red Pocket mobile, but one could also just fly without a SIM card, using WiFi now and then to get updates. Just go to the Mavic Pilots page and look up Wunder Phone or Wonder Phone. I'm sure they're still around. I've never wanted to sue a tablet because they are so big, taking the "portable" out of the experience. Didn't help you much on the 4 XL but at least you have some input. Speaking of the PIxels, they are really fine, with all those constant updates and now call screening.
I still have my Galaxy S8. I just preffer not to carry to much weight around. I haven't flown yet, but using my phone during the day outside, I can see the screen just fine, unless the sun hits it directly. Then I have a hard time looking at it. I can always get myself a shade too.

I have a pixel 3XL. It's the only phone I've ever flown the EVO with so I can't compare. It seems pretty good to me.
If you search Reddit for "Pixel brightness nits", you will find some discussion of various measurement methods. It suggests that all of the individual pixels on the Pixel phone go to the full brightness (400 nit), while only a small percentage of the pixels on the Samsung go to the full brightness. This may explain why the P3XL (and presumably the 4XL) is OK
The Pixel 4 XL is 440 nits normally and goes up to 629 nits when playing HDR content. Basically when flying I'm stuck at 440 nits.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials