Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Personal GPS SYSTEM

Stevepx

Reaction score
Would it be possible to produce a personal GPS broadcast net system such as sending up an auxiliary device directly vertical from your remote position at say 300-400 and then launching your drone and thereby bypassing the current satellite system? Or does this exist?

Most possibly the FAA would want some oversite. But those of us who are doing close in work and are numbered in the very few who actually abide by VLOS the range of such a device could be a limited by a much shortened radius and altitude that would directly contribute to safety. We might even be able to carve out “mini TFR'S” for our limited personal area of operation.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to produce a personal GPS broadcast net system such as sending up an auxiliary device directly vertical from your remote position at say 300-400 and then launching your drone and thereby bypassing the current satellite system? Or does this exist?

Most possibly the FAA would want some oversite. But those of us who are doing close in work and are numbered in the very few who actually abide by VLOS the range of such a device could be a limited by a much shortened radius and altitude that would directly contribute to safety. We might even be able to carve out “mini TFR'S” for our limited personal area of operation.

I will admit that I am completely confused over what you are asking or trying to do. I can tell you that I have never heard of anything being authorized to transmit a GPS source signal other than the GPS satellites already in orbit. Are you saying that your drone launch location cannot receive a GPS signal and you want to amplify it or repeat it somehow? The reality is that if that is your intent that is not possible either, a drone needs approximately 7 satellites at a minimum to achieve a proper location lock; there's no way that I am aware of to reproduce that using anything terrestrial.

I'm referring to a local signal frequency broadcast device from a line of sight beam that would continuously triangulate your position between it, your drone and your remote. The device would in affect be a second drone launched first to a maximum of say 400 ft and remain in a stationary position. This setup would only be useful for very closeup imagery of a site. No need for satellites.

Last edited:
I'm referring to a local signal frequency broadcast device from a line of sight beam that would continuously triangulate your position between it, your drone and your remote. The device would in affect be a second drone launched first to a maximum of say 400 ft and remain in a stationary position. This setup would only be useful for very closeup imagery of a site. No need for satellites.

I think it is safe to say that nothing like that exists, I am still not sure how this would be more useful than just using the satellites to achieve whatever it is you are trying to achieve, not to mention even if something like that did exist, it would still be less accurate than the current satellite GPS systems because both the operator and the first drone in the air could/would move ever so slightly and with only 3 points of reference your accuracy would actually be worse than with the typical 22+ satellites locked in via GPS.

Also, I am not sure if you are aware, but when a drone is close enough to an object it uses more than just the satellite signals for accuracy, it also uses vision position sensors which is how they are able to achieve stability indoors. People are currently achieving 1cm accuracy with drones using satellites, if you need better than that you will probably need to use a ground based system.

Thanks for your feedback. I should let you know what provoked some of these thoughts I happen to believe that the increasing crowded drone airspace is going to lead to heavy restricted FAA regulations that are going to make DJI geo-fencing look like a cakewalk. All that needs to happen is for a commercial airliner to collide with a drone with tragic consequences and there goes the rec market.

The FAA in 2022 is considering new restrictions that will sync up with anybody using GPS and be equivalent to transponders that the general aviation community uses to broadcast their position and identity--this is a wise safety precaution.

So I'm thinking that a solution for photographers such as myself who shoot projects in a fairly confined area where they might momentarily lose line of sight and also want RTH functionality including a visual map showing their location. The triangulation, as far as I can see, would provide a visioning position functionality for landing and for indoor flying you would be in ATI mode anyway.

It's all pie-in-the-sky speculation on my part but there might be some future solution this thread might inspire.

Thanks for your feedback. I should let you know what provoked some of these thoughts I happen to believe that the increasing crowded drone airspace is going to lead to heavy restricted FAA regulations that are going to make DJI geo-fencing look like a cakewalk. All that needs to happen is for a commercial airliner to collide with a drone with tragic consequences and there goes the rec market.

The FAA in 2022 is considering new restrictions that will sync up with anybody using GPS and be equivalent to transponders that the general aviation community uses to broadcast their position and identity--this is a wise safety precaution.

So I'm thinking that a solution for photographers such as myself who shoot projects in a fairly confined area where they might momentarily lose line of sight and also want RTH functionality including a visual map showing their location. The triangulation, as far as I can see, would provide a visioning position functionality for landing and for indoor flying you would be in ATI mode anyway.

It's all pie-in-the-sky speculation on my part but there might be some future solution this thread might inspire.

I think you are referring to Remote ID which goes into affect for all drone pilots starting in Sept of 2023. The rule does not just apply to drones that use GPS though it applies to all drones so it wouldn't matter if you are using a traditional GPS signal or vision positioning.

Straight from the FAA site (Notice GPS isn't even mentioned):

• September 16, 2023:
    • All drone pilots must meet the operating requirements of part 89. For most operators this will mean flying a Standard Remote ID Drone, equipping with a broadcast module, or flying at a FRIA.

Well, there you go then. It will be impossibly restrictive to get anything accomplished w/o establishing a future FAA time slot for when you want to fly and having no idea what the weather conditions will be. I'm an aerial photographer and have been flying in helicopters since 1974 with 50% of my schedule scrapped due to weather but I could always reschedule within a few days. The FFA will give you another date on a 2 week cycle and you can take your chances again. Maybe a 249 gram drone will avoid all of this--go Evo Nano!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58