Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Parrot to develop compact drones for US Army ?

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
I mean ya I like my Parrot Anafi but really?? If this is so this could be a game changer for Parrot.

French news saying that those drones could be based on Anafi :
News in french

A Google translation in english :
In a climate of suspicion of the United States towards Chinese products, the French drone manufacturer Parrot has just been retained to develop compact reconnaissance drones for the army of Uncle Sam. In 2017, the US defence already decided to no longer use any product from the DJI manufacturer.
Known mainly for its drones, the Chinese company is accused of transmitting information to the Government of its country through its devices — although to our knowledge, no evidence of such conduct has been provided. Again recently, a new document has sown the problem. Signed by the cybersecurity and infrastructure security agency of the United States Department of Homeland Security, it warns against Chinese drones, and therefore indirectly against DJI devices. A favourable situation for foreign companies like Parrot which was selected with five other firms following a call for tenders from the US Army launched in November 2018.
The French manufacturer will be able to prove itself by developing and prototyping "the new generation of compact, short range drones dedicated to surveillance (short range reconnaissance drone or SRR)". The devices created will have to be light (1.3 kg maximum), compact enough to fit into a backpack and quick to deploy (less than 2 min). They must nevertheless be able to fly within a range of 3 km and for at least 30 min. What to offer soldiers on the ground "an immediate and expanded vision and understanding of the environment in which they evolve". To carry out this mission, the six companies selected share an envelope of $11 millions.
Already oriented towards the professionals with its Anafi, Parrot could find here an even more reliable growth relay if it came in fine to win a contract with the United States Army. However, he will have to distinguish himself from his other five competitors. The founder and CEO of parrot, Henri Seydoux, has a certain confidence and could well reuse his Anafi to adapt it to the constraints of military operations: "we fully understand how an ultra-compact drone, like the platform Anafi drone, possesses the strengths to become a central element of the defence. We look forward to leveraging the excellence of our R&D to meet the highest demands of the US Army to integrate the effectiveness of drones in their operations and to accompany the world's largest military and defence force. "
The French drone in any case checks a number of boxes of the specifications since it proves to be quite compact, weighs only 320 g and could easily gain a better reach with another transmission material that would not have the constraints of products in the civil domain. On the other hand, it will be better for Parrot to emphasize the reliability and robustness of a possible military version of this aircraft, since the Anafi has not really shined on these aspects so far.

It could be transformational for Parrot. Finger's crossed, it would make Parrot a true competitor to DJI. In most cases, competition means innovation, monopoly means stagnation .... That said, the French Gov't could easily F it all up. They're not known as team players with anyone...

Reactions: Nightbat2
English version:

Interesting!

"The final goal is for a soldier to have the kind of drone they might fly on weekends for fun, but a customized Army version. “You want to know what data is going in and out, and you want to have ownership in what you’re actually fielding, because ultimately you could rely on that machine to save your life,” Borowski says."

Last edited:
I am guessing even if Parrot never gets to round one they still have a equal share of the R&D funds which can only help them out with future projects kind of like Intel did with Yuneec and their Real Sense.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
A few things comes to mind, I would like to have one if I was a soldier but the possibility to have to wear solar panels to recharge the batteries would make me squirm :rolleyes:
Parrot stands to make a killing as the US army might pay similar to their $640 toilet seat :)

What I don't understand is why won't the US military spend money in R&D on their own UAS. Why outsource it to another country? I am sure someone, somewhere within the US is willing to take that contract up, like the little helicopter UAS they are using for searching a target.

Reactions: macoman
What I don't understand is why won't the US military spend money in R&D on their own UAS. Why outsource it to another country? I am sure someone, somewhere within the US is willing to take that contract up, like the little helicopter UAS they are using for searching a target.

Agree, if the US can create their own drones airplanes for the military, why not compact drones as well? I am pretty sure that the US can do it without outsourcing.

LOL, the DoD could create a DARPA MILSPEC drone......they’d be $500K each, batteries ($100K), RC ($300K), not included. I think they’re looking for a militarized COTS solution ?

Also they would need to be in a position to fire up production when you get the green light.
They maybe able to build one, but they are not in the position to manufacture one.
They contract everything out. Keeps cost down and gives them many options to choose from.

Also they would need to be in a position to fire up production when you get the green light.
They maybe able to build one, but they are not in the position to manufacture one.
They contract everything out. Keeps cost down and gives them many options to choose from.
Good point, they obviously couldn’t be made in France, LOL. Who assembles this level of electronics outside of Asia? Probably wouldn’t be allowed to contract it to China/Indonesia/Vietnam. Maybe Taiwan, even though there’s probably 100,000 Chinese spies there. ;)

Reactions: Ansia
I am sure someone, somewhere within the US is willing to take that contract up, like the little helicopter UAS they are using for searching a target.

I'm pretty sure the Black Hornet was developed in Norway.

I'm pretty sure the Black Hornet was developed in Norway.
Yup, true, but they are approx. $190,000 each. This contract is written like they want a militarized consumer COTS (commercial off-the-self) drone. It says something like “similar to the kind of drone an airman might fly on the weekends”. That means cheaper. I don’t see how much cheaper it will be after the DoD gets through with minimum specs for the production model.

I’ve seen this dance so many times. You win a contract to build something for the Pentagon, then comes “capability creep”. They keep adding requirements after the signing until it no longer resembles the prototype. Then, Congress asks why it costs so much, is taking so long...

I sat on the famous $640 toilet seat on a long P-3 military flight, LOL. Polycarbonate, not cheaper fiberglass, over-designed & over- built. Literally a brick *hit-house. They could have used one from a 767, but no, it had to be MILSPEC’d to death...

Yup, true, but they are approx. $190,000 each. This contract is written like they want a militarized consumer COTS (commercial off-the-self) drone. It says something like “similar to the kind of drone an airman might fly on the weekends”. That means cheaper. I don’t see how much cheaper it will be after the DoD gets through with minimum specs for the production model.

I’ve seen this dance so many times. You win a contract to build something for the Pentagon, then comes “capability creep”. They keep adding requirements after the signing until it no longer resembles the prototype. Then, Congress asks why it costs so much, is taking so long...

I sat on the famous $640 toilet seat on a long P-3 military flight, LOL. Polycarbonate, not cheaper fiberglass, over-designed & over- built. Literally a brick *hit-house. They could have used one from a 767, but no, it had to be MILSPEC’d to death...
So, does that toilet seat makes you a cappuccino while you do your business? I mean, for that price...

So, does that toilet seat makes you a cappuccino while you do your business? I mean, for that price...
No. It’s just a super-lightweight seat that will never corrode, needs no maintenance, would survive a surface-to-air missile. The occupant wouldn’t...

• Haha

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghost183