Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Park in my neighborhood. (a bit long)

Not sure why we all want to fly over water but we seem to be attracted to it :)

Very true! We should dread water because as we all know, one mistake or malfunction and it's goodbye. That being said, I'm going to try and fly the big river today. LMAO!

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Very good location with lots of visual interest and some really nice framing/composition - plus some brave navigation. Do you think that 48fps looks better than 30fps?

Very good location with lots of visual interest and some really nice framing/composition - plus some brave navigation. Do you think that 48fps looks better than 30fps?

Thank you! Technically I think the higher the FPS the better it should look. So in essence yes, but I believe there are other mitigating factors involved. I think the key is finding the right combination of all the camera settings based on the filming environment at that particular time. Unless you are a camera junkie, this is usually trial and error. I am FAR from good with knowing this stuff, so I just learn as I go. I am going to film today, and I am going to try some stuff in manual mode.

Not sure why we all want to fly over water but we seem to be attracted to it :)
Yes we are, I think it’s human nature. Last month, I looked at a bunch of videos posted here to see how many had water as a visual element. It seemed like the majority had water or a by-product: (snow/ice/rain/fog/clouds/ocean/rivers/creeks/waterfalls/fountains/puddles/wet ground)

Watery stuff reflects light. It glimmers, shimmers, rolls and flows. It can arouse a mesmerizing, tranquil reaction. It’s why the Babylonians, Greeks, Romans’ et al, built fountains. The sound is calming as well.

So, it you find yourself in the middle of a treeless desert, it’s much harder to capture a video with visuals that stimulate that kind of emotional response. I must rely on lighting alone. Does that make sense? Or have I backed into too many cacti? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia and YuKay
Yes we are, I think it’s human nature. Last month, I looked at a bunch of videos posted here to see how many had water as a visual element. It seemed like the majority had water or a by-product: (snow/ice/rain/fog/clouds/ocean/rivers/creeks/waterfalls/fountains/puddles/wet ground)

Watery stuff reflects light. It glimmers, shimmers, rolls and flows. It can arouse a mesmerizing, tranquil reaction. It’s why the Babylonians, Greeks, Romans’ et al, built fountains. The sound is calming as well.

So, it you find yourself in the middle of a treeless desert, it’s much harder to capture a video with visuals that stimulate that kind of emotional response. I must rely on lighting alone. Does that make sense? Or have I backed into too many cacti? ;)
Yes, drone videography is a strange thing given that video typically captures moving subjects whereas the only thing moving in most drone videos is the camera. So boats and moving water offer the chance of real video instead of a series of stitched-together landscape photographs wherein the world stops if the drone hovers. I usually find something of interest or beauty in the landscapes but it's a treat to see some real action.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Just a park by me with a railroad trestle. I'm still figuring out how to make decent vid's, so bear with me. ]

We all are learning as we go .... oops better talk for me instead of we. I am primarily a still photographer, but for some reason on a drone I can't stay still :) However, it is such a different world once you bring movement into pictures, 100 times more to think about, 100 times more ways to compose and 100 more ways to screw it all up, don't get me started on the editing. One thing I can suggest on a landscape video like this one, is maybe cut out some of the "setup" moves, those where you are framing the shot, the very beginning of the video shows the setup, but then the first move is the one where you start raising the bird towards the tracks, that's where I would have started.There are many moments like this throughout the video and trust me I've been very guilty of this (still am as will be present in a video I'm about to upload) you know what they say about hindsight. Sorry, just my 2 cents .... 4 with inflation, ok I know I'm full of hot air!

Reactions: Bulldoggboyz
Thank you! Technically I think the higher the FPS the better it should look. So in essence yes, but I believe there are other mitigating factors involved. I think the key is finding the right combination of all the camera settings based on the filming environment at that particular time. Unless you are a camera junkie, this is usually trial and error. I am FAR from good with knowing this stuff, so I just learn as I go. I am going to film today, and I am going to try some stuff in manual mode.
Well, Autel upload all their wonderful creative promo videos at 24fps so I would take that as a clue - especially as they have all the tools to upload at 60fps if they want to. Almost all TV is broadcast at 30fps and it looks detailed and smooth. Movies are mostly shown at 24fps which is supposedly cinematic as well as smooth.

60fps is great for editing and especially for creating slow motion files which are then output at 30fps or 24fps. And it's necessary for modern sports broadcasts which like to show slow motion replays. And gamers tell me they prefer 60fps for interactive gameplay. But for most video, I don't notice any playback benefit in 60fps compared to 30fps.

Indeed, the reverse is often true as many people don't have powerful enough hardware to play 4k video at 60fps whereas they might be able to view 4k at 30fps. Youtube in its wisdom doesn't automatically step down from 60fps to 30fps. So it will instead switch the viewer to a lower resolution at 60fps which I think is a mistake.

Being able to shoot at higher frame rates is useful but I don't agree that it's any better than 30fps when viewing the vast majority of drone videos. I think most pro film and video makers are of the same opinion.

Frame Rate: A Beginner's Guide | Blog | TechSmith

Very informative. That’s the 1st 60fps tutorial video I’ve seen showing simple split-screen clips with clear explanations demonstrating the advantages of the higher frame rate. Yea, most of the advantages lean toward professional use, but they’re obviously nice to have...

Reactions: Ansia
Well, Autel upload all their wonderful creative promo videos at 24fps so I would take that as a clue - especially as they have all the tools to upload at 60fps if they want to. Almost all TV is broadcast at 30fps and it looks detailed and smooth. Movies are mostly shown at 24fps which is supposedly cinematic as well as smooth.

60fps is great for editing and especially for creating slow motion files which are then output at 30fps or 24fps. And it's necessary for modern sports broadcasts which like to show slow motion replays. And gamers tell me they prefer 60fps for interactive gameplay. But for most video, I don't notice any playback benefit in 60fps compared to 30fps.

Indeed, the reverse is often true as many people don't have powerful enough hardware to play 4k video at 60fps whereas they might be able to view 4k at 30fps. Youtube in its wisdom doesn't automatically step down from 60fps to 30fps. So it will instead switch the viewer to a lower resolution at 60fps which I think is a mistake.

Being able to shoot at higher frame rates is useful but I don't agree that it's any better than 30fps when viewing the vast majority of drone videos. I think most pro film and video makers are of the same opinion.

Frame Rate: A Beginner's Guide | Blog | TechSmith
One mentiones 30fps and 24fps and the other 60fps. What about if you shoot at 60fps and then while editing take it down to 24 or 30fps for the final product. How would that compare?

One mentiones 30fps and 24fps and the other 60fps. What about if you shoot at 60fps and then while editing take it down to 24 or 30fps for the final product. How would that compare?
That's exactly what you should do - ideally keeping the original frame rate divisible by the new rate, so reduce 60fps to 30fps and 50fps to 25fps. Nice clean math makes for nice clean video.

Mr Northrup may well be an expert but he appears to have a vested interest in persuading us all to rush out and buy the latest and greatest tech from Amazon. So if we weren't convinced that we needed 4k60fps cameras, he might be reduced to buying his shirts from the charity shop.

His split screen examples are rather misleading. The drone fly-past at 4:30 has to be slowed 10X to make a point which is meaningless in the real world because we don't watch video in 10X slo-mo.

And his foliage split screen at 1:50 is a sham because he has used footage from the world's worst 30fps camera to compare against a decent 60fps camera…or, heaven forbid, the footage in the top half of the screen has been manipulated to look bad. In fact, all his 30fps examples are grainy, blurry and contrived.

Read the comments on Youtube to see how many people - including professionals - disagree with him about publishing 60fps video. But that would be the end of the camera industry's growth if we were allowed to think that we didn't need the next developments.

Reactions: Ansia
Pro videographer, Stronz Vanderploeg, responds to Mr Northrup's video, pointing out some inconsistencies and explaining why Northrup's advice may be good for photographers but not for videographers.

One point he didn't raise is that 30fps video actually produces better quality/cleaner images because the bitrate is doubled versus 60fps, ie at a bitrate of 100 Mbps a 30fps video gets approx 3Mb of bitrate per frame whereas a 60fps video has to squeeze each frame into 1.5Mb of bitrate.

Makes you wonder why Autel made such a big deal about 4K 60fps on the new EVO. Guess they waisted R&D that could have been spent on something better ?
Like mapping :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder why Autel made such a big deal about 4K 60fps on the new EVO. Guess they waisted R&D that could have been spent on something better ?
Like mapping :rolleyes:
They had to make it different or it will be the same as a 2 year old bird. Or if you plan on recording a sports event and slowing it down, you can. ;)

Or if you plan on recording a sports event and slowing it down, you can. ;)

Good slow motion video needs more then 60fps. This is why people who do slow mo use 1080p120 or 720p240
If you don't it will look choppy. There are some tricks you can do in post but you are better off getting higher frame rates from the start.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SycamoreGroves