Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

One mile from inside the van.

rkyleh

Reaction score
I wanted to see if I could fly out a mile from inside my van. I flew out a mile through the windshield and came back farther to the side to come in by the side window. I stayed low on the way out and when the drone dropped below the tree line I got a weak video warning which I expected. i have done the same flight standing outside and got the same warning in the same area. I raised the height 50 feet and never got any other weak signal. I generally fly with my antennas pointed down but inside the van I put them up to insure a direct line with the drone. I always stay 15 feet from the van when I fire up and let it hover for a few minutes will i check my settings out and shut of the obstetrical avoidance. Flying from inside is doable but I would not recommend it to a new pilot or even someone that is new to the EVO. I don't use any of the programmed stuff so I don't know how that would work. Like the man says your mileage may be different. Use at your own risk.

Way back last year when we were talking about the transmitter gloves LuvMyTJ said he sits inside his van a lot when its cold flying the XSP so I guess it is doable also.

Way back last year when we were talking about the transmitter gloves LuvMyTJ said he sits inside his van a lot when its cold flying the XSP so I guess it is doable also.
If my memory doesn't deceive me, LuvMyTJ uses an external antenna that he connects to the controller.

Way back last year when we where talking about the transmitter gloves LuvMyTJ said he sits inside his van a lot when its cold flying the XSP so I guess it is doable also.

From what I read there is little to none interference from the signal through glass as long as you stay away from the vehicle to set up which you would do anyway no problem. I have sat inside the side door of my van from day one this is the first couple of flights inside with the doors shut and the window's rolled up.

Reactions: Ansia
From what I read there is little to none interference from the signal through glass as long as you stay away from the vehicle to set up which you would do anyway no problem. I have sat inside the side door of my van from day one this is the first couple of flights inside with the doors shut and the window's rolled up.
I admire what you are doing, but I'm to scared to do it by myself. Already lost one once, and it was enough for me to be extra careful. Also, I don't get the seasons where I live, so it's summer time all year round.

I admire what you are doing, but I'm to scared to do it by myself. Already lost one once, and it was enough for me to be extra careful. Also, I don't get the seasons where I live, so it's summer time all year round.

If something like this makes you nervous then for heavens sake don't do it. nervous pilots make unwitting mistakes believe me been there done that. When the time comes remember 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity is a good reason to sit by the air conditioner.:)

Reactions: Ansia
Thanks for testing - given the weather here atm, I'm tempted to give it a go. I assumed that the steel all around you might interfere with the signal but obviously not - or not much. So what would interfere? Concrete walls?

Have you tried landing on your roof? I guess that would be illegal as you would lose LOS…unless you stepped outside.

That would be the only way to fly around here this week.
Wind chill values are expected to plunge to between -45 C and -50 C overnight.

Thanks for testing - given the weather here atm, I'm tempted to give it a go. I assumed that the steel all around you might interfere with the signal but obviously not - or not much. So what would interfere? Concrete walls?

Have you tried landing on your roof? I guess that would be illegal as you would lose LOS…unless you stepped outside.

I always keep the bird in the window. The WiFi signal is in a straight line that's why I keep the drone in sight through the window. Up close that isn't a lot of room but as you get out there a ways there is a lot of air to fly in. If I flew behind me then i would get interference from the steel body. Any object that gets between you and the drone will cause loss of signal. Flying in the mountains I have to be careful not to get behind a ridge I have inadvertently done it a couple of times and it will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. Especially if you are up and out a long way.
I don't know what would happen if I landed on that roof. I know i would get a magnetic interference if I tried to take of from there so I will just keep on hand catching the thing. Although it does land on that pad very well.

Reactions: YuKay
That would be the only way to fly around here this week.
Wind chill values are expected to plunge to between -45 C and -50 C overnight.
The EVO fly's in some cold weather but I am afraid it would be like a duck stuck in a pond in those temperatures.

Well, it's a bright and beautiful freezing day here in leafy Berkshire, UK and snow is definitely incoming. So, emboldened by a man in his van, I tried a short flight from the warmth of my conservatory which has big windows. Seemed fine, even up to 100ft (I chickened out then) although I wasn't prepared to fly beyond my property boundary as vision is obscured by trees. I did get constant OA beeps (I'll deactivate it next time) but nothing more sinister. The cat loved it and couldn't take her eyes off the RC. Thanks for showing the way. I can have tea, biscuits and a comfy seat in there.

EVO-pilot-behind-glass.jpg
EVO-pilot-behind-glass2.jpg

That's awesome YuKay! I'm thinking about an addition to my home so I can store some more toys and fly from it was well. And I like your cat BTW. We have a rabbit and a kitten that stays inside. We love them!

Reactions: YuKay
I come from a long line of cataholics. My dear old mum had five and bequeathed £10k to each of them. I like rabbits too and there are plenty in my yard and adjoining fields. Unfortunately, so does my cat. But she can't eat a whole one so the Red Kites swoop down for the leftovers.

Red kite swoops on Pixies bunny.png

Reactions: rkyleh and Ansia
It doesn't always end well:

And just in case there are any certifiable EVO owners thinking it might be fun to fly inside a moving vehicle, this reckless kamikaze pilot demonstrates why it should be a federal offence:

Reactions: macoman and Ansia
ok who is dumber, the dude or the wife, he obviously doesn't fear having his face cut to threads, or his wive's, lost control in that van could have easily sent the Mavic in the driver's general direction. In the long run pretty dumb and useless test, I'll never recover those few minutes of life.

ok who is dumber, the dude or the wife, he obviously doesn't fear having his face cut to threads, or his wive's, lost control in that van could have easily sent the Mavic in the driver's general direction. In the long run pretty dumb and useless test, I'll never recover those few minutes of life.
I agree, obviously natural selection hasn't stopped being stupid yet.

Reactions: macoman and Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marshall@DRONE