Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

ON LEAVING TEAM ORANGE

Nightbat2

Reaction score
I bought my Autel Evo (1) in February last year from an Australian dealer. It has been a great drone and apart from one incident around Christmas 2019—possibly caused by pilot error—it had performed flawlessly. Autel US authorised warranty repairs at their New Zealand workshop. It flew like new after repair. Full marks to Autel for that. Then, a couple of months ago, I had two instances of erratic flight, probably due to bad batteries. I won’t go into details here, other than to say that despite a “Battery is damaged” warning on the controller on each occasion, it managed to make it home and land safely. Again, full marks (Incidentally, several other Evo 1 owners have reported “Battery Damage” warnings after a recent software or firmware upgrade, so I wonder is there’s a wider problem?).

Since then I have been trying to source replacement Evo 1 batteries in Australia. No dealer has any, nor has any dealer been able to get them in, apparently because of Australian restrictions on transport of LiPo batteries. Autel US has not been able to come up with a solution, either. So, I am left with a drone with one battery and no immediate possibility of replacements.

(Sure, I could get them from a US dealer but the cost when shipping is added, is high—$125 Australian each plus around around $150 Australian freight for a pair. And, of course there is the current uncertainty about shipments from overseas...).

I had intended to place an order for an Evo 2 Pro in the next month or so, but my experience with Evo 1 batteries and the revealed cost of Evo 2 batteries—around $219 each in the US (A$318)—makes me hesitant.

So I have been looking at alternatives. As much as I admire DJI’s products, I’m still concerned about geofencing and NFZs (I have an Australian Licence and don’t need a foreign company to tell me when and where I can fly). But you can buy DJI batteries at just about any hobby department, and there are plenty of repairers to turn to in the event of problems.

Let’s face it—a drone that you can fly, even with additional hassle, is better than one that sits on the desk like a paperweight!

The Mavic 2 Pro would seem a logical choice, but it’s been out a while now and maybe a Mavic 3 Pro isn’t too far away. So I’m wondering whether a cheaper drone that can carry a GoPro might not be a good interim solution?

Or there’s the Swellpro Spry+, a lesser drone in many respects, but it can fly in rain or snow and actually land and take off in fresh or salt water. Could be a good interim choice in a coastal area such as this and it would serve as backup for rainy days. And, incidentally, it is bright orange.

As much as I love my Evo 1, I can be objective and if you're thinking about going DJI you may want to have a look at the Mavic Air 2 as well as the Mavic Pro 2. I guess the ultimate decision factor there is what is your ultimate goal? On the high-level, it seems like the Mavic Air 2 hits all of the marks of the Mavic Pro 2 but at about half the price, but I'll be honest and say I haven't really looked at a side-by-side comparison of features.

Keep us informed of your decision. I came from Team DJI to Team Autel back in February and I haven't been disappointed, but the joy of competition is that you have some good alternatives to look into.

Reactions: Nightbat2
As much as I love my Evo 1, I can be objective and if you're thinking about going DJI you may want to have a look at the Mavic Air 2 as well as the Mavic Pro 2. I guess the ultimate decision factor there is what is your ultimate goal? On the high-level, it seems like the Mavic Air 2 hits all of the marks of the Mavic Pro 2 but at about half the price, but I'll be honest and say I haven't really looked at a side-by-side comparison of features.

Keep us informed of your decision. I came from Team DJI to Team Autel back in February and I haven't been disappointed, but the joy of competition is that you have some good alternatives to look into.

I would not even be considering anything but an Evo if it weren’t for the battery issues—1.unavailability in Australia; 2. the lack of interest or ability of either Autel or its dealers to solve the ’supply’ problem; and 3. the concern that Autel May have a battery problem or that the firmware/software is causing issues with batteries, because a few others have reported similar problems recently. Yes, I know batteries must be properly managed and that they do have a relatively short life, but that wouldn’t be such an issue if replacements were available here.

In reality, it’s a marketing issue. DJI has solved it—even a small company like Swellpro has solved it! Why can’t Autel? You can buy batteries for either of the other two companies’ products at a network of dealers across Australia.

As for the Mavic Air 2, it doesn’t seem to me like a suitable alternative to the M2 Pro or the Evo 2 Pro. I get the feeling that it could have been something made to fit a price to cut the legs off the 8k Evo 2. And it will do so here unless Autel can get its marketing act together. Heaven knows what will happen if DJI comes out with a Mavic 3 with a one inch sensor that matches that of the Evo 2 Pro.

Just to reiterate: I’m looking elsewhere NOT because I don’t like the product, but simply because without an adequate supply of batteries my current bird can’t do what I need.

yeah you never want to leave your batteries charged up when not in use. keep em at 20%.
so far i havent seen battery issues on mine. but they only cost $75 each no big deal

yeah you never want to leave your batteries charged up when not in use. keep em at 20%.
so far i havent seen battery issues on mine. but they only cost $75 each no big deal
As I said in my original post, you cannot buy them in Australia at all. And importing from the US, including shipping, import duty etc, works out at around $200 Australian, which is a big deal.

As I said in my original post, you cannot buy them in Australia at all. And importing from the US, including shipping, import duty etc, works out at around $200 Australian, which is a big deal.
With Autel finally going global with the Evo 2, wouldn't you be able to get them cheaper from a reseller?

With Autel finally going global with the Evo 2, wouldn't you be able to get them cheaper from a reseller?
Autel US has appointed two resellers here. Neither intends to stock anything for Evo 1. Autel China has appointed one dealer and they don’t have any Evo stock, either.

• Sad
Reactions: Ansia
Have two E2 batteries shipping to USA for $306.00 usd. I imagine you can get them shipped to you for the same or less.

Have two E2 batteries shipping to USA for $306.00 usd. I imagine you can get them shipped to you for the same or less.

Right now I need Evo 1 batteries.

Reactions: parkgt
Update. Got a totally unsatisfactory answer to an email from Autel support. The sender obviously not on top of who sells what in Australia. In the meantime have been in contact again with their New Zealand rep, who is trying to help. More than about time—I first raised the issue in March (yes, I know, Covid etc) with both NZ and US.

i am looking for an autel drone alone..if anyone can help me to the right direction..thanks..

I bought my Autel Evo (1) in February last year from an Australian dealer. It has been a great drone and apart from one incident around Christmas 2019—possibly caused by pilot error—it had performed flawlessly. Autel US authorised warranty repairs at their New Zealand workshop. It flew like new after repair. Full marks to Autel for that. Then, a couple of months ago, I had two instances of erratic flight, probably due to bad batteries. I won’t go into details here, other than to say that despite a “Battery is damaged” warning on the controller on each occasion, it managed to make it home and land safely. Again, full marks (Incidentally, several other Evo 1 owners have reported “Battery Damage” warnings after a recent software or firmware upgrade, so I wonder is there’s a wider problem?).

Since then I have been trying to source replacement Evo 1 batteries in Australia. No dealer has any, nor has any dealer been able to get them in, apparently because of Australian restrictions on transport of LiPo batteries. Autel US has not been able to come up with a solution, either. So, I am left with a drone with one battery and no immediate possibility of replacements.

(Sure, I could get them from a US dealer but the cost when shipping is added, is high—$125 Australian each plus around around $150 Australian freight for a pair. And, of course there is the current uncertainty about shipments from overseas...).

I had intended to place an order for an Evo 2 Pro in the next month or so, but my experience with Evo 1 batteries and the revealed cost of Evo 2 batteries—around $219 each in the US (A$318)—makes me hesitant.

So I have been looking at alternatives. As much as I admire DJI’s products, I’m still concerned about geofencing and NFZs (I have an Australian Licence and don’t need a foreign company to tell me when and where I can fly). But you can buy DJI batteries at just about any hobby department, and there are plenty of repairers to turn to in the event of problems.

Let’s face it—a drone that you can fly, even with additional hassle, is better than one that sits on the desk like a paperweight!

The Mavic 2 Pro would seem a logical choice, but it’s been out a while now and maybe a Mavic 3 Pro isn’t too far away. So I’m wondering whether a cheaper drone that can carry a GoPro might not be a good interim solution?

Or there’s the Swellpro Spry+, a lesser drone in many respects, but it can fly in rain or snow and actually land and take off in fresh or salt water. Could be a good interim choice in a coastal area such as this and it would serve as backup for rainy days. And, incidentally, it is bright orange.
Ýou should look into making a battery I'm looking at my autel 2 pro battery and you can take this one apart not sure about yours if you can I would take it apart if your not sure how to work on that stuff I'm sure there's someone that can or maybe they already have been able to just find a battery to replace it if you didnt live in a different country you could ship it to me I'd be willing to give it a try there's got to be someone that can do something i see thats a 4 cell 14.42 volt and how many mAH Tom

Last edited:
Ýou should look into making a battery I'm looking at my autel 2 pro battery and you can take this one apart not sure about yours if you can I would take it apart if your not sure how to work on that stuff I'm sure there's someone that can or maybe they already have been able to just find a battery to replace it if you didnt live in a different country you could ship it to me I'd be willing to give it a try there's got to be someone that can do something i see thats a 4 cell 14.42 volt and how many mAH Tom
wow, didnt take a breath there did you :)

the swellpro spry looks like an interesting drone. Did you look further into this?

How did you come up with 20%? I have never seen any recommendation anywhere near that low for a good storage charge.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58