Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Ok, I'm done.

Black Dog Drone Ops

Reaction score
Well, fellow Evo fans, just a word of wisdom and a head's-up flying.

In another post, I mentioned my issue with my Evo fly away and failure to respond to the Pause / Cancel button action. To recap, I was bringing my Evo in to land after the first low battery warning, literally less than 10' away from me. Suddenly, RTH initiated automatically and since there were tree limbs overhead I pressed the Pause button to halt the action. Nothing happened. Pressed again, pressed and held and still absolutely nothing happened until my Evo flew right into the tree limbs and crashed to the ground. There was minimal damage, but the gimbal gave an error so Autel told me to send it in for evaluation.

The trip there took just over a week (since Autel's RMA process uses the absolute slowest form of USP Ground shipping). Then, Autel tells me the roll motor needs to be replaced to the tune of $80 and my expense. They tell me the Pause button works fine and there is nothing in the logs. Sure. Right, Imagine that! Also, to keep this in perspective, I am far from an inexperienced operator as a writer for several major aviation journals and a safety instructor on this subject. Of all things, I am pretty well versed on the use of the controller and handling emergency situations like this, as best as possible.

After discussing this with different people at Autel, it was escalated to the VP (as I was told, but...?) and they offered a few dollars off the labor portion of the repair but still tell me it's my problem. Interestingly, one of the motors is also making a noise (where it impacted in the crash) yet there is no mention of that in their "thorough inspection of everything".

Whatever the outcome, I can no longer have confidence in this Evo and with the immaturity of their software and relatively newcomer status to this level of the marketplace. My flights are mostly for demonstrations to others coming into UAS operation and other professionals who are interested in bringing in drone services to their businesses. I had high hopes that Autel would have a viable option to 'the other brand' in medium sized, foldable models but they clearly have some things to get fixed, one being intermittent problems like this. In all my years of flying professionally and personally, have I experienced as many problems out of the box as I have with this Evo. This is my fourth interaction with Autel over support issues since I bought my Evo brand new in August and I must say, that is more times than I ever have had to deal with 'the other company' in years of owning and flying their products and owning nearly half dozen of their models. It was an experiment, but a failed one at that.

For those who are having good luck with your Evos, I wish you all the best! I' am sure many of them are flying just fine and I hope you enjoy all this potentially great machine has to offer. Mine, on the other hand, had been a chain of failures and disappointments and now, after a month sitting at Autel while they try and figure something out it is wrapping up as a pretty hollow customer service experience as well.

This Evo will be for sale when I receive it back from Autel, repaired with - and I quote Autel - "a clean bill of health". If anyone is interested, let me know. Extra battery, shoulder bag and a very nice LG Stylo 3 for control.

In another post, I mentioned my issue with my Evo fly away and failure to respond to the Pause / Cancel button action. To recap, I was bringing my Evo in to land after the first low battery warning, literally less than 10' away from me. Suddenly, RTH initiated automatically and since there were tree limbs overhead I pressed the Pause button to halt the action. Nothing happened. Pressed again, pressed and held and still absolutely nothing happened until my Evo flew right into the tree limbs and crashed to the ground. There was minimal damage, but the gimbal gave an error so Autel told me to send it in for evaluation.

The trip there took just over a week (since Autel's RMA process uses the absolute slowest form of USP Ground shipping). Then, Autel tells me the roll motor needs to be replaced to the tune of $80 and my expense. They tell me the Pause button works fine and there is nothing in the logs. Sure. Right, Imagine that! Also, to keep this in perspective, I am far from an inexperienced operator as a writer for several major aviation journals and a safety instructor on this subject. Of all things, I am pretty well versed on the use of the controller and handling emergency situations like this, as best as possible.

After discussing this with different people at Autel, it was escalated to the VP (as I was told, but...?) and they offered a few dollars off the labor portion of the repair but still tell me it's my problem. Interestingly, one of the motors is also making a noise (where it impacted in the crash) yet there is no mention of that in their "thorough inspection of everything".

Whatever the outcome, I can no longer have confidence in this Evo and with the immaturity of their software and relatively newcomer status to this level of the marketplace. My flights are mostly for demonstrations to others coming into UAS operation and other professionals who are interested in bringing in drone services to their businesses. I had high hopes that Autel would have a viable option to 'the other brand' in medium sized, foldable models but they clearly have some things to get fixed, one being intermittent problems like this. In all my years of flying professionally and personally, have I experienced as many problems out of the box as I have with this Evo. This is my fourth interaction with Autel over support issues since I bought my Evo brand new in August and I must say, that is more times than I ever have had to deal with 'the other company' in years of owning and flying their products and owning nearly half dozen of their models. It was an experiment, but a failed one at that.

For those who are having good luck with your Evos, I wish you all the best! I' am sure many of them are flying just fine and I hope you enjoy all this potentially great machine has to offer. Mine, on the other hand, had been a chain of failures and disappointments and now, after a month sitting at Autel while they try and figure something out it is wrapping up as a pretty hollow customer service experience as well.

This Evo will be for sale when I receive it back from Autel, repaired with - and I quote Autel - "a clean bill of health". If anyone is interested, let me know. Extra battery, shoulder bag and a very nice LG Stylo 3 for control.
I would be interested in it depending on the price. By the way Autel has been a better experience for me than DJI.

I would be interested in it depending on the price. By the way Autel has been a better experience for me than DJI.
Hey there,

Thanks for your reply. I'll let you know the outcome with Autel and we can go from there.

I bought the Evo brand new back in August and even though it has generally been great, the QC has been lacking over DJI which has resulted in more need to work with support than I ever have with DJI. First, the controller did not have the rubber grommets on the bracket to hold a phone in place so they sent me a new device holder. No big deal, I thought but also I was supposed to have received the shoulder bag and they left that out too. So, they ended up sending me one when they had stock. It was kind of strange for something to get boxed up and missing parts like this, no? Then, I ordered a second battery, directly from Autel, and when it arrived the top cover was popped up and it looked like the battery was swelling. Knowing the dangers of a LiPo fire I contacted support and they just told me to try snapping the cover back on - almost sounded like they were well versed in this problem already. I did, and it works fine, holds a charge and performs as it should but again, how did this make it out of the factory like this? lastly is this issue. I have been back and forth with them so much I am hoping they are telling the truth about being so thorough in the check out but I am absolutely not happy about being told one thing when I know the opposite is true.

Just FYI my kit will be including the Evo in the original box with all the items that came with it (plus an extra controller bracket with no rubber grommets), a nearly new spare battery, the Autel shoulder bag and a nearly brand new LG Style 3 that I bought as a dedicated device just for this Evo. I also have a super nice Lowepro BP150 backpack/bag that I may include for a bit extra. I can send pics of everything once it returns from Autel.

what's u price

Reactions: Black Dog Drone Ops
yes but you have ongoing issues with your evo and its hard to pass those issues to the buyer and still ask market price.
I did clearly state the Evo will be coming with a “clean bill of health” from Autel. This negates any potential further issues by being thoroughly evaluated and released by Autel support.

I’m interested in selling it, not giving it away.

I did clearly state the Evo will be coming with a “clean bill of health” from Autel. This negates any potential further issues by being thoroughly evaluated and released by Autel support.

I’m interested in selling it, not giving it away. BE CHARITABLE & GET A TAKE DEDUCTION

Since some of you have asked, here is a breakdown of what I have available. Everything is in excellent, almost brand new condition and the Evo, once again, is getting the white glove treatment at Autel so it will be performing just as their tech people say it should. I am including some extras here as well which you definitely need if you are doing any serious flying.

Value
- Autel Evo $999
- Extra Battery $89
- Autel Shoulder Bag $39
= LG Stylo 3 $100
- Lowepro BP150 Backpack $70
Total Value $1,297

25% Savings
Sale price for all $972 + shipping
PayPal accepted / buyer covers PP fees of 2.9%

Since some of you have asked, here is a breakdown of what I have available. Everything is in excellent, almost brand new condition and the Evo, once again, is getting the white glove treatment at Autel so it will be performing just as their tech people say it should. I am including some extras here as well which you definitely need if you are doing any serious flying.

Value
- Autel Evo $999
- Extra Battery $89
- Autel Shoulder Bag $39
= LG Stylo 3 $100
- Lowepro BP150 Backpack $70
Total Value $1,297

25% Savings
Sale price for all $972 + shipping
PayPal accepted / buyer covers PP fees of 2.9%
YOU HAVE PICS OF THE LOWEPRO?, IS IT WATERPROOF NEWISH OR OLDISH?

Reactions: Black Dog Drone Ops
YOU HAVE PICS OF THE LOWEPRO?, IS IT WATERPROOF NEWISH OR OLDISH?
I don't have pics yet but I will be taking some once the Evo returns from Autel. The Lowepro is in almost new condition and super nice. I also use one for my Mavic Pro and it is the perfect size and you can carry on to airlines as a personal item as well. I this Lowepro bills it as water 'resistant' rather than water 'proof' but I've never had mine in the weather so I can't comment more on that.

Great... another item added to my "To Do" list... check to see if RTH can be stopped using the Pause button.
Yeah, it would probably be a good idea to test it out. Also keep an eye on the low battery warning. I had mine set at 30% and RTH supposed to initiate at 10% (if I remember correctly) but it was a matter of a couple seconds between the 30% warning and the RTH taking control. No way was there time to land and my Evo just went rogue and ignored the Pause button attempts to gain control.

Just a follow-up on the RTH test. I set my low battery warning and critically low battery warning levels to 30% and 10% respectively - same as the OP. The RTH was initiated seconds after the low battery warning was issued at 30% and I was able to hit the Pause button to cancel the RTH and take over control.
I continued to hover until the battery hit 10% and it immediately started to land in place. I was able to gain control again and bring it over to me from about 10 meters away but it definitely wanted to land ASAP!

I’m interested in selling it, not giving it away.
AMEN BROTHER.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d