Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Now that DJI's Mini 3 Pro is out, where are we with the Nano+?

Darkmatterx76

Reaction score
So, I'm reading that even the new DJI 3 has some issues with camera quality, which is disappointing, so I was wondering where we're at with Autel fixing their Nano+?

A couple of my concerns are RAW photos; Do they now have a profile that corrects for the RYYB sensor, or do you still need to manually fiddle with it?

Does it now support 10bit video and photos like Autel said the Nano+ would?

Any other major issues I should be aware of? I know there were a lot at the beginning and that some were fixed, but I don't know where the Nano+ is at right now, or if Autel is still planning to support it long term.

Thanks!

10 bit dynamic tracking - crickets 🦗 its been quiet for months, either they are firing everyone hopefully and realizing they had the worse launch in drone history with the possibility of competing against DJI now they have no chance with the way they treated their clients I've been twice burnt by this company speaking from a original X star customer who bought the nano+ hoping to give them a second chance, Now Loyal DJI client. the best thing they did in months was hired KEN back...

I had a Nano+ about 1-1/2 months back and it was a disaster. From flying like a brick to lack of manual settings in most photo modes. Also a lot of moiré on a lot of rooftops in the photos.

I of course returned it, waited a while and purchased the Mini 3 Pro which is a fantastic beast. I have exactly zero complaints (except for Aeroscope detection but that's well known and assumed).

Have they fixed the flying with any recent firmware? Because really, the flying was horrible, just like a cheap Chinese toy.

quite the opposite, my mini 3 pro is still in the box unopened; haven't activated yet. it will probably have range and connectivity issues, the camera will probably be out of focus and fog up, and i can only fly it with the one battery it came with; otherwise this is an "outstanding" drone that already has 2 sw updates in the past month. nobody is going to come out and complain about it like they will with an all-hell drone.

well, at least i have a golden ticket! actually the only thing i care about red and 250 is nearly perfect:

nanobest.jpg

Reactions: kccumm and rcee
10bit is video not photo.

The raw photos are a genuine issue and I'm a professional photographer, I can get them looking OK but if we had a better starting point the images would be stunning.

The video is great, there are a few issue with the app not keeping the settings but I run a check list so fair enough.

But for me, the biggest issue, is the lack of power, I'd be happy to replace with better motors or props? But as it stands I dare not fly it unless it's totally calm.

I also have a mavic 2 pro and 3 (not mini) I want to just have the sub 250 autel evo nano plus and mavic 3, but I'm worried it'll not come back one day due to the lack of power so I'm currently keeping the 2pro as a paperweight backup.

This is my first autel after flying dji from the OG phantom, if the raw issue and the lack of power issue can somehow be fixed, I'd happily go autel again, but if not, sadly, never again.

I'm mostly waiting for the active track. Hope it won't be horrid like on the EVO II.

10bit is video not photo.

The raw photos are a genuine issue and I'm a professional photographer, I can get them looking OK but if we had a better starting point the images would be stunning.

The video is great, there are a few issue with the app not keeping the settings but I run a check list so fair enough.

But for me, the biggest issue, is the lack of power, I'd be happy to replace with better motors or props? But as it stands I dare not fly it unless it's totally calm.

I also have a mavic 2 pro and 3 (not mini) I want to just have the sub 250 autel evo nano plus and mavic 3, but I'm worried it'll not come back one day due to the lack of power so I'm currently keeping the 2pro as a paperweight backup.

This is my first autel after flying dji from the OG phantom, if the raw issue and the lack of power issue can somehow be fixed, I'd happily go autel again, but if not, sadly, never again.

Hi Imtense, I'm also a photographer, but this would be my first drone. What are the camera & gimble quality differences between the DJI Mini 3 Pro and the Nano+?

Also, for these mini's, does DJI have the same setup where it won't take off if it thinks it's in a location it can't fly in? I'm a little unsure how that aspect of DJI's drones work.

Thanks, and thanks everyone for your info.

DM

No the autel doesn't have a Geofence but you still need to ensure that you are in a legal place to fly.

I'd say the camera in the nano plus is better than the mini 3 but the lack of power in flight concerns me quite a great deal unfortunately, but when it can fly ans I don't shoot raw (what pro doesn't shoot raw tho) the quality is absolutely stunning

No the autel doesn't have a Geofence but you still need to ensure that you are in a legal place to fly.

I'd say the camera in the nano plus is better than the mini 3 but the lack of power in flight concerns me quite a great deal unfortunately, but when it can fly ans I don't shoot raw (what pro doesn't shoot raw tho) the quality is absolutely stunning

Wait. So, you're saying that the image (photo) is amazing as a jpg right? lol

Here's the thing that I don't get. If they can correct the colours for a jpg in the drone, then they have to have a colour profile!!! Why haven't they released it to us!? :(

As for the wind. How bad is it in some wind? I live on Lake Huron in Ontario. :/ I'm going to have to look for camera sensor comparison reviews.

Lastly, for the DJI's geofencing, I heard that for the sub 250g drones, it just gives you a warning that you are in restricted air space, but you can just turn off the warning and continue. On the larger drones it will refuse to take off without override codes. Can you (or anyone) confirm or deny how geofencing warnings work on the mini drones?

I would be fine with geofencing if it wasn't for the fact that sometimes the codes don't work, and then you have to scramble because you have an event starting soon. The opening ceremony isn't going to wait 30min while you get your drones "crud" together.

I don't even understand why DJI does geofencing when no other company does it, and it obviously must cost them sales, because a lot of people hate it. Even those who only fly in legal areas, or get special permission for an event.

Thanks

DM

I can’t speak for the latest DJI Minis, but on my original Mavic Mini, it does have geofencing and does prevent flight close to airports. I assume the new ones are the same. I did unlock once to do a small commercial gig (107, registered and legal) near an untowered airport within the geofence zone. The unlock process isn’t the worst, but I do prefer the non-geofenced situation with me Evo II Pro.

So, I'm reading that even the new DJI 3 has some issues with camera quality, which is disappointing, so I was wondering where we're at with Autel fixing their Nano+?

A couple of my concerns are RAW photos; Do they now have a profile that corrects for the RYYB sensor, or do you still need to manually fiddle with it?

Does it now support 10bit video and photos like Autel said the Nano+ would?

Any other major issues I should be aware of? I know there were a lot at the beginning and that some were fixed, but I don't know where the Nano+ is at right now, or if Autel is still planning to support it long term.

Thanks!
I've owned both. The nano plus has a great camera, no geofencing and great range but ended up keeping the mini 3 instead. This past week the camera on 3 has greatly improved. I imagine the range will get better as well, not that I fly it super far. So geofencing is my only gripe. But having a built in screen, active tracking, quickshots that works amazing and mastershots was the winning point for me. The build quality was also better and it flew sooo much better. Vertical camera is more a gimmick than anything. The fact that it can shoot straight up in the air is great when in the woods or under a bridge. The fact that nano is 6mnths out and still no where near the finished product they advertised, was enough for me to switch.

Here's the thing that I don't get. If they can correct the colours for a jpg in the drone, then they have to have a colour profile!!! Why haven't they released it to us!? :(

As for the wind. How bad is it in some wind? I live on Lake Huron in Ontario. :/ I'm going to have to look for camera sensor comparison reviews.

Lastly, for the DJI's geofencing, I heard that for the sub 250g drones, it just gives you a warning that you are in restricted air space, but you can just turn off the warning and continue. On the larger drones it will refuse to take off without override codes. Can you (or anyone) confirm or deny how geofencing warnings work on the mini drones?

I would be fine with geofencing if it wasn't for the fact that sometimes the codes don't work, and then you have to scramble because you have an event starting soon. The opening ceremony isn't going to wait 30min while you get your drones "crud" together.

I don't even understand why DJI does geofencing when no other company does it, and it obviously must cost them sales, because a lot of people hate it. Even those who only fly in legal areas, or get special permission for an event.

Thanks

DM
I have the mini 2 and evo 2 v2. The mini 2 will not fly in a geofenced zone. One point is that I got an email from DJI that they are trying to incorporate LANCE into their software.,

I have the mini 2 and evo 2 v2. The mini 2 will not fly in a geofenced zone. One point is that I got an email from DJI that they are trying to incorporate LANCE into their software.,
...then it would be a half-measure because you'll need to have internet access if you wish to gain LAANC approvals real-time.

...then it would be a half-measure because you'll need to have internet access if you wish to gain LAANC approvals real-time.
That's why the "host" plug is at the bottom of the RC - latest firmware has shut it down, but you'll need a DJI dongle with a sim in it pretty soon. Geofencing is the single biggest reason I ditched DJI. I'm a pro photographer as well and the DJI Big Brother routine managed to turn four of my shoots into a total nightmare. Two of those were exclusively the interiors of historic buildings that were in the airport red NFZ. Autel bird: get on with the job. DJI bird: red tape merry-go-round.

Thanks

DM
funnily enough, yesterday I shot a JPG+RAW set (Nano+) specifically to test out whether what I'd heard about the JPG captures was true or not. For the last four years I've shot nothing but RAW for all of my jobs because the JPG quality from my Mavic 2 zoom/pro was horrible in comparison. Spent a few hours pixel-peeping last night and the JPG's from the Nano+ are genuinely outstanding, on top of that: they were almost as responsive to pro-level editing.

This has been my stance since the very start in Feb, where TF is the colour profile used for the jpegs? Just give us that and we'll go from there

So sick and tired of the peanut gallery who only shoot jpeg or take stills from their video claiming it shoots great pics, the sharpness alone in the jpegs is awful in comparison to the raws

I really think that the dji mini 3 killed the nano+ and Autel wan't update and spend money for the nano+ (to developp the tracking)

I one year Autel update his nano+ with nano 2 pro certainly....

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuvNtiTTays