Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New to Autel

mayer7196

Reaction score
I am purchasing a used (4 times) XSP with extra battery and Samsung 10" tablet from someone local for $500. Never been crashed and looks to be brand new. I am testing it out this Saturday.

My question is there anything I should look at in particular regarding the Autel drones? I had a DJI Phantom 3 Professional before I got fed up with the multiple issues with it and sold it.

You can learn a lot by reviewing the info posted on this and other XSP forums. Commonly reported issues (but not experienced by all) include touchy yaw adjustment, magnetic interference / video link issues, batteries that drop charge level suddenly, and imbalanced battery charge (between cells). There is a firmware update that many have been waiting for for a long time, that addresses these issues. It's in a controlled beta test right now - due for public beta testing "soon".

You can learn a lot by reviewing the info posted on this and other XSP forums. Commonly reported issues (but not experienced by all) include touchy yaw adjustment, magnetic interference / video link issues, batteries that drop charge level suddenly, and imbalanced battery charge (between cells). There is a firmware update that many have been waiting for for a long time, that addresses these issues. It's in a controlled beta test right now - due for public beta testing "soon".

Thanks for your reply. I really don't know what to look for i guess when it comes to this brand of drone. Like i said, i had a DJI Phantom 3 pro. For $500 i guess it wouldn't be that bad of an investment if i flew it for a good 20 minutes and it did what it was suppose to do.

Everything Bigbit has mentioned can also be said for DJI also. They have many of the same problems other then getting firmware out the door faster. For $500 you are getting a very good UAV. Camera is one of the better ones out there in this price range.

Reactions: mayer7196
Everything Bigbit has mentioned can also be said for DJI also. They have many of the same problems other then getting firmware out the door faster. For $500 you are getting a very good UAV. Camera is one of the better ones out there in this price range.

The only thing that i have noticed is the range. Comparing it to Phantom 4's and Mavic's 4+miles is pretty large difference.

Without Lightbridge, is this drone more like a Phantom 3 Standard than any of DJI's newer "Lightbridged" birds?

Ya I guess it could be compared to that.
I live out in the country and really have had no issues with distance. I have gone 1.3 miles at 300 foot with stock antennas before I lost connection. It did what it was suppose to do and came right back. After 3500 feet you have a hard time seeing the darn thing anyways so what is the point. :)

Ya I guess it could be compared to that.
I live out in the country and really have had no issues with distance. I have gone 1.3 miles at 300 foot with stock antennas before I lost connection. It did what it was suppose to do and came right back. After 3500 feet you have a hard time seeing the darn thing anyways so what is the point. :)

Very true. That's great distance considering the limit i think is 1.2. I read horror stories regarding losing signal in wooded areas, etc.

Anyone flying any brand of drone outside of visual line-of-sight is asking for trouble, in my opinion. And, of course, for commercial ops, it's required to stay within visual LOS. Staying within those safety guidelines, I've only had one or two issues with control range on the XSP, and in each case it was likely the result of EMI from nearby high tension lines. More commonly, but still fairly unusual, I have situations where video signal interference becomes an issue, also largely due to EMI in predictable locations. All in all, I have absolutely no complaints about the X-Star's range.

Anyone flying any brand of drone outside of visual line-of-sight is asking for trouble, in my opinion. And, of course, for commercial ops, it's required to stay within visual LOS. Staying within those safety guidelines, I've only had one or two issues with control range on the XSP, and in each case it was likely the result of EMI from nearby high tension lines. More commonly, but still fairly unusual, I have situations where video signal interference becomes an issue, also largely due to EMI in predictable locations. All in all, I have absolutely no complaints about the X-Star's range.

Very true, thanks for your input.

I am going to pull the trigger on the Autel and pray it's better than my experience with DJI. The gentleman i am buyin it from got it in November of 2016....flown it 5 times and has receipts for everything. Going to test fly it saturday, ill let everyone know how it goes.

$799 new with 1 battery. I am getting the sunshade, and 2 batteries for $500. Seems like too good of a deal to passup.

Thanks everyone who chimed in!

Reactions: mulk777 and Rawdog
I am purchasing a used (4 times) XSP with extra battery and Samsung 10" tablet from someone local for $500. Never been crashed and looks to be brand new. I am testing it out this Saturday.

My question is there anything I should look at in particular regarding the Autel drones? I had a DJI Phantom 3 Professional before I got fed up with the multiple issues with it and sold it.
Your feet are wet (by already flying a drone)... so take it slow and I think you'll be shickled-titLess with this new bird........ I know I was.
Have you done the upgrade yet

Last edited:
Your feet are wet so take it so and I think you'll be shickled-titLess with this new bird........ I know I was.
Have you done the upgrade yet

I dont understand what you are saying. Do you hate it?! LOL. I just upgraded to the beta firmware, havent flown it yet.

I downloaded it and installed it without a hitch. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but i bet it helps! DJI could never update firmware well, its why im at Autel now :)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials