Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

New guy likein his EVO

KevinP

Reaction score
Well after a lot of reading. I have just taken my 3rd flight. I have to say for someone who
has never had or tried any RC at all ( 69 years ) :). I think this EVO is awesome.
The landing is spot on. The camera and vids are very nice. I am finding that the more I learn,
the more I forget things. Like today I was going to check out the zoom. Forgot all about it. Next time .

The only thing so far is that sometimes I can see the prop, on the left side, never the right side ???
Perhaps the wind ? but why not on the right side ? The horizon may be a bit lower on the left side but
it is no big deal for me ( It also may not be ) so more checking on that.

My landing zone in the backyard today, it you look closely you can see me in the shade
by the house. *** most need I have to get a sunscreen ****

Attachments

• MAX_0008a.JPG
    MAX_0008a.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 24
Sounds good. Just be respectful of nature and wildlife, and do not do any low flying or hovering over your neighbors swimming pool, and you should be fine.

The reason you see the prop more on that side is because the camera is off set to that side. The prop comes into view a lot more because of that. Also drop the camera down about 9 or 10 degrees. That will help some.

The reason you see the prop more on that side is because the camera is off set to that side. The prop comes into view a lot more because of that. Also drop the camera down about 9 or 10 degrees. That will help some.

Ah, thanks I didn't think of the offset. I knew about dropping it down ...

The only thing so far is that sometimes I can see the prop, on the left side, never the right side ???
Perhaps the wind ? but why not on the right side ? The horizon may be a bit lower on the left side but
it is no big deal for me ( It also may not be ) so more checking on that.

With the gimbal at zero degrees, we all see props to one extent or another.

What should not be normal is the actual tilt in your images.

The camera is mounted and offset more towards the prop you are seeing -- but there are known issues with a number of gimbals that exhibit this "horizon tilting' -- and it is not correct. The wind and turning the Evo around too fast can cause this, but it should go back to normal.

Firmware updates have corrected some of this to a small degree -- but a number of people are still indicating images being tilted. Make sure you have updated your Evo's firmware as you continue to learn and fly your Evo.

If you still see images tilted, you can calibrate your camera's gimbal -- and see if that solves the problem.

For some people, the combination of updated firmware and calibrating their gimbal solved a lot.

Maybe you will be lucky and be one of the lucky one's that reports no problems at all.

Welcome to Club Evo. :D

Reactions: KevinP
Thanks for your help...I have not updated or calibrated anything yet.
I think the compass is spot on as it lands within inches ...

I'm not sure if it is in fact tilting . I have to check on that. on one vid I saw it but perhaps it was the lay of the land so to speak ... I will report back on this ...

CLUB EVO :D now that would look good on a hat !!!

Reactions: thomasr
Oh .... the gimbal cover is a pain ....

Be careful with that -- mine has actually popped back off a few times. And yes - it can be tricky, but it get's easier getting it on/off.

I read on here and other places that it will not hurt it if you forget and leave it on... ymmv

I was told otherwise by Autel - that this will in fact cause possible damage to the motors and such.

We have all done it. Evo seems to be OK for those of us who have -- but do not tempt fate, as it eventually will be costly.

Oh .... the gimbal cover is a pain ....
I've found that inserting it with the wider plastic clip piece first (camera side) works best for installation. Then jiggle the other smaller side a little, and clip it in too. Make sure to flip the EVO upside down on a solid soft surface before attempting installation. Battery removal is also best accomplished with the gimbal cover installed, as otherwise you risk damaging the gimbal during the recoil, when the new battery finally comes loose! :oops:

Thank you for the tips ... ?
Also, carry and use a nickel to open the microSD card slot, until it gets looser, and remember that the microSD card goes in label side up, which is the opposite of all DJI aircraft! Autel, why do you have to be so difficult? :rolleyes:

Best tip I can give anyone new to GPS craft. Turn it on and let it SIT until it gets enough satellites!! If you haven't flown it for a while, it will take LONGER to download the satellite info, wait until it gets a good lock, then take off. You will thank me when you don't ever get a fly away, unless it happens because of a hardware failure.

Thanks .... How many satellites is considered enough ? I get 8 - 12 from my garmin gps in the car on average.

Thanks .... How many satellites is considered enough ? I get 8 - 12 from my garmin gps in the car on average.
As long as it accurately represents your location on the map, you should be good to go, but 10+ is best.

6 minimum, I would say. The more the better, but that doesn't mean you have to let it sit for 5 minutes draining your battery. As long as the bird has a clear vertical view of the sky, it shouldn't take long. If you....Turn on the RC, turn on the EVO, then connect the device and load up the EVO app, by that time you should have enough sats, but always good to connect up the app, check all your settings...meanwhile you are giving the bird enough time to acquire enough sats. Just don't be in a rush to turn on the bird and take off right away. Almost all fly aways are caused by not waiting for enough satellites, and if you don't have a current position lock, when you lose signal or do a RTH, the bird will go to the last place that take off point was locked in at. Pilots wonder why when they hit RTH the bird takes off in the wrong direction. The bird is doing exactly what it was programmed to do in this example. RTH to the last recorded take off point.

Reactions: G_G
Nice picture, but it will be nicer if you invest in a ND filter for your camera.

Nice picture, but it will be nicer if you invest in a ND filter for your camera.
ND filters do nothing to improve still photos, and actually turn video still frame extracts into blurry mush. ND filter are not intended to alter exposure, but only to slow down the shutter speed to twice the frame rate, for a cinematic effect in video, while retaining the same exposure. If you need to correct overexposure, use your exposure adjustment on the camera in Auto Exposure, or in Manual by using a faster shutter speed or a smaller aperture, or both. Only use for an ND filter in still photography from a drone is to create a deliberate motion blur of waves at the beach, or a waterfall, by slowing down the shutter speed.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marshall@DRONE