Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

NEED GOGGLES

rcol

Reaction score
When you are out in the desert under a blazing sun, some sort of goggles are required to see and shoot.
The DJI Goggles are among the best, as far as a I can tell, asnd work seemlessly with MAVIC
Can I get a similar experience with AUTEL gear?

To be able to use DJI Goggles, you would need to connect them via HDMI to the Autel Live Deck. We've also tested these video goggles/glasses from Amazon which connect via HDMI to the Live Deck and work well.

The only other way to use Googles would be if you have a tablet with an HDMI output option on it, and you can then connect goggles/glasses up to mirror what your tablet displays. We use the TangoTab to run android apps and mirror the tablet display as this tablet has a mini HDMI out port.

Or you can just use your phone and attach them to box goggles like the FXT. If you connect to the livedeck you wont get any telemetry or camera function, just a simple feed.

To be able to use DJI Goggles, you would need to connect them via HDMI to the Autel Live Deck. We've also tested these video goggles/glasses from Amazon which connect via HDMI to the Live Deck and work well.

The only other way to use Googles would be if you have a tablet with an HDMI output option on it, and you can then connect goggles/glasses up to mirror what your tablet displays. We use the TangoTab to run android apps and mirror the tablet display as this tablet has a mini HDMI out port.
That's a pretty sweet price for that tablet. The only purpose I bought my Shield K1 was to eventually get goggles but I never did get any. Still love the tablet for flying though.

Reactions: mixchief
That's a pretty sweet price for that tablet. The only purpose I bought my Shield K1 was to eventually get goggles but I never did get any. Still love the tablet for flying though.

I will say that it's a decent tablet for the price. We solely got a couple of them for demo events and trainings to be able to mirror the full tablet display with ease. They're a bit slow comparatively speaking but do a pretty good job. All we use them for is a few different flight apps and mission planners.

Reactions: Tufargon
I'm just saying most tablets with an hdmi port usually come at a hefty price. That could work for someone with a lower budget.

Besides simply using the "built in" VR feature there are several other Options:

-1- GUARANTEED to work although a bit clumsy:
Using a Generic HDMI in Goggle (e.g. Yuneec Skyview): simply add a streaming receiver like Chromecast or MiraScreen, but THINK of using one able to operate on 5Ghz to not interfere with EVO RC.
I elaborated about that on several forums, poke me and i find the links (not right now, working).
This is guaranteed to work in great Quality, Skyview + Receiver is about $100 if you are lucky.
It adds about 100ms of lag though, but we are not "racing", right? :)
It leaves the phone open for usage (screen tapping etc. PP)
ALso possible to have one person control the AC and the other one to enjoy the view...
ALSO possible to put the image on a large HDMI screen / projector, what not. Basically a generic HDMI output by 5Ghz signal from your Android device...
In my implementation i added a 5V output ort from the skyview to power the Miracast receiver, no need for a different battery. Work time: 15 Minutes.
(Examples for KNOWN WORKING receivers as they are able to open their own 5G Wifi and do not need a router:
EZCast 5G , EZCast 4k, VERY Probably 5G capable Chromecasts)

See my German post in a German Copterforum to Detail this in the very beginning of the Mavic Pro hype:

-2- SImilar but slightly more elegant, NOT TESTED yet with Autel Explorer, did work with DJI & Parrot Apps:
--> Get a cheap Lenovo Daydream Mirage Solor Headset (lucky for $125) and sideload the AUtel App.
BOOM, there you have it with great low lag and full Quality, controls usable by Mirage Solo remote.
(Probably also works for Samsung GEarVR with experimental Apps to run normal Android apps. May NOT work with Oculus GO / QZest as they blocked USB access although i did manage to break through one time for Parrot Freeflight but i need to work on that)

-3- Use one of those Headstraps that mirror your phone image to your eyes via curved Plastic lense (model that does double mirror so you do not have inverted screen).
About $30, hard to find tjough but if you are lucky you can also get a model with halftransparent lenses so you have drone AR, not breaking LOS rules technically...
EDIT: found this link, there ARE versions with semi transparent final mirror/display, guess who found one :)
(BEWARE, many many times those sets are marketed as "AR" but sport the non transparent visor,.
Especially on ALiexpress they even show the semi transparent version but send you the opaque one. So better ask 10 times before getting it if you WANT the semi transparent one. Thea are as rare as a 5 legged dog.
By this process i at one time had 5 (!!!) opaque ones before actually getting a semitransparent one. Dont ask, Dealer does not exist anymore :-( )

-4- ... Use your imagination not just $$$

Bye,

Ender

Last edited:
Reactions: drrags
... Use your imagination not just $$$ ...
I went through all of this "experimental sidecast" stuff a while ago, and none of it worked well in commercial settings.
The DJI Goggles were a breath of fresh air, but worked flawlessly every time.

I went through all of this "experimental sidecast" stuff a while ago, and none of it worked well in commercial settings.
DJI Goggles are hard to rework for the Autel though...

Could you specify which part of the "commercial settings" broke which alternative way?

Greetings,

Ender

I drive 25 miles down a crappy dirt road, it is 90+ in the shade. We find the site and decide how to record it. My pilot buddy readies the Mavic for launch. I put on the DJI goggles, and start directing him where to fly while I manipulate the photo/video settings on the fly, mostly in the goggle controls. There is no shade. He can barely see the site, but I can because I don't have to deal with the sunshine blasting the image. We fly a couple of passes, maybe a loop. Maybe to a GPS coordinate.

The goggles just connect. I dont have to run hdmi cables, run boxes, other stuff.

Done.

Can I do that with AUTEL.

Reactions: Ender
I drive 25 miles down a crappy dirt road, it is 90+ in the shade. We find the site and decide how to record it. My pilot buddy readies the Mavic for launch. I put on the DJI goggles, and start directing him where to fly while I manipulate the photo/video settings on the fly, mostly in the goggle controls. There is no shade. He can barely see the site, but I can because I don't have to deal with the sunshine blasting the image. We fly a couple of passes, maybe a loop. Maybe to a GPS coordinate.

The goggles just connect. I dont have to run hdmi cables, run boxes, other stuff.

Done.

Not really!
In that use case you are right all existing Soloutions are more like a workaround adding hassle and/or lag.
Maybe Autel adds a $$$ Solution like that adding to the Live Deck...
Ender

Done.

My method is the same exact thing, you just dont have spend a ton for DJI goggles, these are 165 dollars and work with analog frequency for freesyle drones and also with your phone.

well, i already have the goggles ... will the LIVE DECK work??

well, i already have the goggles ... will the LIVE DECK work??
It should since the screen it comes with has HDMI in. I would stick with using your phone if it fits like in the picture, you get better resolution.

It should since the screen it comes with has HDMI in. I would stick with using your phone if it fits like in the picture, you get better resolution.
He also wants a pilot / photographer setup and BOTH should be able to control stuff...

:-(

Ender

He also wants a pilot / photographer setup and BOTH should be able to control stuff...

:-(

Ender
YOU can set that up in with the controller.
Teaching Mode, allowing the use of two remote controllers for a single drone. One controller is set as the instructor, and the other as a learner. The camera view and functions are available to both controllers, but the instructor controller’s command sticks will always override the learner’s. This is a valuable tool for training a new pilot, but it can also be used for one pilot to control the aircraft’s flight maneuvers while the other controls the camera.

Reactions: Ender
YOU can set that up in with the controller.
Teaching Mode, allowing the use of two remote controllers for a single drone. One controller is set as the instructor, and the other as a learner. The camera view and functions are available to both controllers, but the instructor controller’s command sticks will always override the learner’s. This is a valuable tool for training a new pilot, but it can also be used for one pilot to control the aircraft’s flight maneuvers while the other controls the camera.
Oh yeah forgot about teaching mode, YES!
So one would use the Controller with phone in a VR Headset, the other one "normal" or without phone at all.
YES, that would make it possible...

Ender

P.S. sorry, beeing new to Autel i forgot that...

Reactions: Madhungarian

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy