Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

National Director of Drone Operation

billypflowers

Reaction score
My name is Bill Flowers, I am Director of Drone Operations for Meredith Corporations. We have 17 television stations around the US, with close to 100 Part 107 pilots and use our drones for News gathering and promos. Most of our aircraft are DJI (Inspire, Phantom 4 and Mavick), but I just got and am testing the Autel Robotics EVO 2 Pro...and loving it so far. If any of you have recommended setting for smooth operation, I would certainly appreciate and welcome advice.

My name is Bill Flowers, I am Director of Drone Operations for Meredith Corporations. We have 17 television stations around the US, with close to 100 Part 107 pilots and use our drones for News gathering and promos. Most of our aircraft are DJI (Inspire, Phantom 4 and Mavick), but I just got and am testing the Autel Robotics EVO 2 Pro...and loving it so far. If any of you have recommended setting for smooth operation, I would certainly appreciate and welcome advice.

Hello Bill, welcome to the forum; I think this review will help you: Autel EVO II Pro - User Experience from a DJI User

Welcome Mr. Flowers. I hope you like your new unfenced bird. Should be a nice addition and a different avenue for post video editing.

I usually fly to where I want to be in manual mode the switch to either precise or dual stability from the drop down menu. Nice and smooth.

BTW, why did you pick EVO , curiosity?

Reactions: billypflowers
Mdelrossi, I was interested in the EVO 2 for a while. Had several meetings with folks at Autel. I have COA’s in multiple cities and like that there are no lock zones, superior 6k Sony camera, every direction obstacle avoidance and longer life battery.

Reactions: davery87 and DHLA
Mdelrossi, I was interested in the EVO 2 for a while. Had several meetings with folks at Autel. I have COA’s in multiple cities and like that there are no lock zones, superior 6k Sony camera, every direction obstacle avoidance and longer life battery.
That and the fact that DJI hasn't upgraded the Mavic Pro made me pick up the EVO.

I usually fly to where I want to be in manual mode the switch to either precise or dual stability from the drop down menu. Nice and smooth.

BTW, why did you pick EVO , curiosity?
Thanks mdelrossi, I was impressed with all of the specs (6K, all direction obstacle avoidance, 4 min battery and mostly for the no lock zone!) :)

Hi Bill,

From a fellow Broadcast Meteorologist (WBTV Charlotte) welcome aboard. Since you specifically asked about the smooth flight attributes, I thought I would provide a couple clips. Both these clips were shot in total manual mode, but I agree with Mdelrossi, for even finer control, the "Precise" and "Dual Stability" modes are your friends.

This first clip starts off just doing a left-to-right 'truck' move which any drone should be able to do perfectly. At :45 seconds I adjust the gimbal upwards to account for the taller buildings to set up an orbit move around them. Other than my adjustments I think you'll approve of the smooth motion.

This is just one more example from a longer range.

The combination of the large 1" sensor with the ability to shoot 10 bit video using H.265 and log profile gives such enormous latitude in post production for color correction and color grading. Could not be happier with this drone.

Good Luck!

Bill, are you the Bill Flowers that graduated from Lincoln High School 1970 in Des Moines< Iowa?

Welcome, Bill. I'm a former broadcaster and producer/director, retired now. These new tools certainly offer a new perspective on a budget. I'm curious if you are using the companion Live Deck unit with your EVO to provide live output and if so what your experience has been. Regards - Gary

Hi Bill,

From a fellow Broadcast Meteorologist (WBTV Charlotte) welcome aboard. Since you specifically asked about the smooth flight attributes, I thought I would provide a couple clips. Both these clips were shot in total manual mode, but I agree with Mdelrossi, for even finer control, the "Precise" and "Dual Stability" modes are your friends.

This first clip starts off just doing a left-to-right 'truck' move which any drone should be able to do perfectly. At :45 seconds I adjust the gimbal upwards to account for the taller buildings to set up an orbit move around them. Other than my adjustments I think you'll approve of the smooth motion.

This is just one more example from a longer range.

The combination of the large 1" sensor with the ability to shoot 10 bit video using H.265 and log profile gives such enormous latitude in post production for color correction and color grading. Could not be happier with this drone.

Good Luck!
WOW, thanks for the tips...and those are beautiful shots of the Charlotte skyline!

Reactions: tvwxman
Welcome, Bill. I'm a former broadcaster and producer/director, retired now. These new tools certainly offer a new perspective on a budget. I'm curious if you are using the companion Live Deck unit with your EVO to provide live output and if so what your experience has been. Regards - Gary
Gary, I do use the Live Deck. I run HDMI out of the LD to our Live-U backpack, that gives us the ability to broadcast live almost anywhere in the world with cell signal. The output signal is 1080P, and we broadcast 1080i, so I had to use an HDMI to SDI converter.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials