Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Nano/Nano+ Firmware Update 10/10/2022 ( Dynamic tracking available) iOS: 1.4.51Android 1.4.32

lifeisfun

Reaction score

AUTEL SKY APP

iOS: 1.4.51
Android 1.4.32

LITE/LITE+ 1.5.33

New Features:
- Added Remote ID functionality for Japan Region. (Required by Japan UAV Regulations)

NANO/NANO+ 1.6.5

New Features:
- Added Dynamic Track on EVO Nano Series. (Please shoot in an environment with wide view)
- Added Remote ID functionality for Japan Region. (Required by Japan UAV Regulations)

AUTEL SKY APP

iOS: 1.4.51
Android 1.4.32

LITE/LITE+ 1.5.33

New Features:

NANO/NANO+ 1.6.5

New Features:
- Added Dynamic Track on EVO Nano Series. (Please shoot in an environment with wide view)
Got the update, no issues. Weather permitting I will try it out tomorrow.

Reactions: computerkris
DT testing. Standard Mode. https://youtu.be/V1anJZhMvlo

It doesn't seem to maintain altitude very well but I've also noticed that it doesn't reverse very well either. It seems to "surge". I wonder if it's just a lack of processing power and that everything is a bit "laggy". Not too bad once I got going on the main track as long as I wasn't going fast. Seemed to fall behind on the return. Might be better in Ludicrous mode though. I was worried it was about to crash into those trees but it stopped with just a tiny bit to spare. I should really fit the prop guards when testing!

I'd hoped to do more testing today but the weather closed in.

Reactions: trontar
I was able to upgrade my Nano + without a hitch. The new Track feature would mark several possible targets with a blue plus sign. Selecting one of those targets resulted in a yellow rectangle appearing on screen around the target. The camera then gimbled to center the selected target on the screen, and would track that target until it went off screen but the drone didn’t adjust its position to keep the target on screen.

So either I’m missing something or the Track feature is not a Follow feature. Only an assistance for the camera centering on the object while you still manually fly it.

I was able to upgrade my Nano + without a hitch. The new Track feature would mark several possible targets with a blue plus sign. Selecting one of those targets resulted in a yellow rectangle appearing on screen around the target. The camera then gimbled to center the selected target on the screen, and would track that target until it went off screen but the drone didn’t adjust its position to keep the target on screen.

So either I’m missing something or the Track feature is not a Follow feature. Only an assistance for the camera centering on the object while you still manually fly it.
Did you click on the blue box with the word "Follow" in it? You can see the Dynamic Tracking following me in the video I linked above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe DiMauro
Did you click on the blue box with the word "Follow" in it? You can see the Dynamic Tracking following me in the video I linked above.
Thanks, that’s it. I’d see the blue ‘Follow’ box flash onto the screen but it would go away before I ever clicked on it. I think it kept trying to find another target.

One difference I see on your video is that your body and bike were occupying a large portion of the screen and the drone was only about 20 feet up. I was trying it with the drone about 100 feet up so I was a small part of the cameras field of view. That may be why it was finding so many possible targets and then switching between them before I could select the ‘Follow’ box.

Thanks, that’s it. I’d see the blue ‘Follow’ box flash onto the screen but it would go away before I ever clicked on it. I think it kept trying to find another target.

One difference I see on your video is that your body and bike were occupying a large portion of the screen and the drone was only about 20 feet up. I was trying it with the drone about 100 feet up so I was a small part of the cameras field of view. That may be why it was finding so many possible targets and then switching between them before I could select the ‘Follow’ box.
It worked much better at lower altitude where the target (myself) was the major object in its field of view. It didn’t like quick moves to the left or right, or when running either away from, or toward and under the drone. It followed quite well when I walked away or toward it at a steady slow pace.
It also dropped tracking when about 1/2 of the target become obscured or went from bright sunlight into dark shadow.

When it lost the target it indicated it on the screen and would hover at the point it was at when it lost the target. I could easily relocate the target and ‘Follow’ again.

Reactions: ccadden
When it lost the target it indicated it on the screen and would hover at the point it was at when it lost the target. I could easily relocate the target and ‘Follow’ again.

Ah - I might try that. You're right, it did stop and hover, I just didn't try to get back into view. FWIW I'd picked that light blue jacket for good contrast against those surroundings, though my previous test with dark clothing worked fine too .

I'm thinking we should keep this thread going as a way to provide feedback and tips to each other on Dynamic Tracking. I'm hoping to try some more tomorrow, including Ludicrous mode.

At the moment, I'm thinking "cool feature" though it was never top of my priority list.

DT testing. Standard Mode. https://youtu.be/V1anJZhMvlo

It doesn't seem to maintain altitude very well but I've also noticed that it doesn't reverse very well either. It seems to "surge". I wonder if it's just a lack of processing power and that everything is a bit "laggy". Not too bad once I got going on the main track as long as I wasn't going fast. Seemed to fall behind on the return. Might be better in Ludicrous mode though. I was worried it was about to crash into those trees but it stopped with just a tiny bit to spare. I should really fit the prop guards when testing!

I'd hoped to do more testing today but the weather closed in.
Did it get lost in those trees? It seemed to lose you when it got there.

Further testing:

Looks like Collision Avoidance is switched off during Tracking. Ask me how I know :cool: Genuinely, this could be a problem as it doesn't seem to maintain altitude either. That means it's possible it could hit you, another person, a vehicle or an animal. (FWIW all my testing to date has been in Standard flight mode).

Also, I had a problem today when setting myself as the target, then kneeling down to put down the controller before riding off. The Nano "lost" me as I knelt down. I think perhaps my shape changed too much and it couldn't identify me?

So far it seems to always follow behind and to my right. I need to do some testing in a more open area.

Did it get lost in those trees? It seemed to lose you when it got there.
In that video the Nano simply remained stationery once it had lost sight of me.

Further testing:

Looks like Collision Avoidance is switched off during Tracking. Ask me how I know :cool: Genuinely, this could be a problem as it doesn't seem to maintain altitude either. That means it's possible it could hit you, another person, a vehicle or an animal. (FWIW all my testing to date has been in Standard flight mode).

Also, I had a problem today when setting myself as the target, then kneeling down to put down the controller before riding off. The Nano "lost" me as I knelt down. I think perhaps my shape changed too much and it couldn't identify me?

So far it seems to always follow behind and to my right. I need to do some testing in a more open area.

In that video the Nano simply remained stationery once it had lost sight of me.
THat is good to know. I will remember to put my prop guards on to do dynamic tracking.

Reactions: computerkris

I had a similar experience at first then it would have the plus signs, then once selected it would have a popup box next to the selected item and say FOLLOW. Then that seemed to work. It was ok following, but when i turned and came toward the drone it seemed to have issues and then just lost track.

I have had the following experience:
I had the drone fixed on me and clicked the follow button.
On the bike at moderate speed there was actually no problem, but every time another person was visible on the display, (because he just passed me or came towards me) the drone lost focus on me, fixed the other person and followed her.

Have you had this experience when other people come into the camera's field of view, the focus is quickly directed to the other people?

I have had the following experience:
I had the drone fixed on me and clicked the follow button.
On the bike at moderate speed there was actually no problem, but every time another person was visible on the display, (because he just passed me or came towards me) the drone lost focus on me, fixed the other person and followed her.

Have you had this experience when other people come into the camera's field of view, the focus is quickly directed to the other people?
Yes.this is what happens with mine too

I really hope that the quality of the tracking, in terms of stability of the fixed person, will be increased in the next updates.

A likely explanation for this is that the Nano+'s NPU is normally allocated to the forward-facing dual cameras for collision avoidance, and NPU is tasked with tracking instead, when in follow mode.
I'd only be interested in playing with EVO2 tracking - with all those nice sensors preventing automated crashes.
It's cool they got it working finally and we can stop whining about false advertising :)

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles