Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Nano+. Flight modes.

Jirka

Reaction score
I decided to try the built in/programmed flight modes. Some I understood because they are simple, some
I'm trying something more complicated, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Today I tested the "Orbit" mode but I'm not sure about its algorithm. Whether it circles around the selected object at a fixed distance or whether this distance is variable and dependent on something. Sometimes it circled around the tree in a radius of approx. 5 m, but sometimes it made a circle of about 20 m, and then I was afraid that it would knock down a tree somewhere. It wasn't far. The last test ended with a somersault into the grass. I started about 1m above the ground. At first it looked promising, but suddenly the drone began to descend until it collided with the grass. The User Manual supplied with the drone does not describe these modes in any way, so if you have any other source or are willing to write about your experiences here... please!

Last edited:
No, you're not doing anything wrong. The Nano+ still has buggy firmware. I avoid using the autonomous features because even the DJI examples can give you some nasty surprises if you trust them to work without full Mk.#1 Eyeball supervision and a thumb hovering over the top of the PAUSE button on the controller. Far better to learn how to mimic these automatic flights by hand - takes a lot of practise, but you'll soon get the hang of it.

Also, the "active-track" is still missing from the flight menu: I get the feeling that what Autel have achieved so far (similar to the EVO Lite active-track) will probably cause the Nano+ to go absolutely bonkers so I think this is one promised autonomous feature that won't make it into a Nano+ firmware update for a LOOOONG time and there are a lot of other little glitches with both the drone and the app - like with PANORAMA. I have tried this numerous times and the drone has not once stitched the JPG composite of the x-number of shots it took AND it won't quit "processing" until you land the drone and re-start it. The camera exposure information in the metadata is also totally out of whack.

Autel need to be lobbied en-masse to get their firmware straight. I think it is a bloody cheek that all the major manufacturers release their drones in a 20% - 30% unfinished condition and rely on their first batch of customers to act as unpaid beta-testers to identify the faults, problems and rough edges. This isn't peculiar to Autel: DJI is just as bad - but the worst offender for this is Hubsan.

The Nano+ damped pitch and yaw is so great (compared to Evo I) that I am able to coordinate very complex flight trajectories after some practice, butter smooth.
It's such a huge upgrade to be able to do these shots, and not the 'fly straight ahead over something' we are all so tired of now.
As a 'magic camera', compared to my old Evo 1, the nano+ is a vast upgrade, for a lot less money.
[EDIT]

Except in wind... There's it's a pretty sad puppy, but i chalk that up to the vastly more difficult task of keeping 249 grams stable vs 800+ grams of larger models. Certainly it's not the motors that can't handle it, it's the stability and algorithms.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller