Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

My Evo hit the ceiling

macoman

Reaction score
My Evo suffered a crash a few weeks ago and fortunately only two props were lost. Now my Evo hit the ceiling when it was hovering in my room with GPS locked. Why in a few seconds lost GPS and went straight to the ceiling slowly.

My Evo suffered a crash a few weeks ago and fortunately only two props were lost. Now my Evo hit the ceiling when it was hovering in my room with GPS locked. Why in a few seconds lost GPS and went straight to the ceiling slowly.
You did not try to lower the altitude? That sucks I hope not much damage happened.

Reactions: macoman
You did not try to lower the altitude? That sucks I hope not much damage happened.
It was hovering peacefully and automatically started going up and hit the ceiling. Fortunately nothing happens and I took it down and still flying normal. This Evo it's making my blood pressure goes higher. Lol

Reactions: Madhungarian
When you loose GPS it is only using the positioning sensors which will cause it to move around more. The barometer and ultrasonic sensors try to gauge the crafts alt position. The reliability is not great indoors.

Flying indoors is not advisable unless GPS is disabled. Reason being, if the drone momentarily loses GPS contact—very likely indoors—it will attempt a return to home, and that includes shooting up to its RTH height. Not many ceilings are 30 metres plus!1

Flying indoors is not advisable unless GPS is disabled. Reason being, if the drone momentarily loses GPS contact—very likely indoors—it will attempt a return to home, and that includes shooting up to its RTH height. Not many ceilings are 30 metres plus!1

It does not return to home because it lost GPS. With out GPS it could not find home.. Serious read the manual folks.

“ If GPS is unavailable when Failsafe is activated at Low Battery Warning, the aircraft will not execute the Go Home procedure. Instead, the aircraft will stay in your control and only proceed to land automatically when the battery reaches 15% (Critically Low Battery Warning).”

Part two...

“If GPS is available when activating the Failsafe function, the aircraft will automatically use the Go Home function. Otherwise, it will land from its current position. When the remote control signal returns, you can still press the Pause Button ( ) to regain control of the aircraft.”

Manuals.....good!!!!

Reactions: Nightbat2
Part two...

“If GPS is available when activating the Failsafe function, the aircraft will automatically use the Go Home function. Otherwise, it will land from its current position. When the remote control signal returns, you can still press the Pause Button ( ) to regain control of the aircraft.”

Manuals.....good!!!!
Yep. Reading my way through them. Here’s an interesting bit:
3⁄43⁄4Communication Lost
Failsafe will be triggered 3s after the communication between your aircraft and
remote control gets lost.
If GPS is available when activating the Failsafe function, the aircraft will automatically use the Go Home function. Otherwise, it will land from its current position. When the remote control signal returns, you can still press the Pause Button ( ) to regain control of the aircraft.

3⁄43⁄4Communication Lost
If GPS is available when activating the Failsafe function, the aircraft will automatically use the Go Home function. Otherwise, it will land from its current position. When the remote control signal returns, you can still press the Pause Button ( ) to regain control of the aircraft.
Man, I don't like that at all... IMO, if the drone loses both GPS and remote signal at the same time it should extend that landing procedure to at least 30 seconds to give it a chance to regain at least one of the signals. What if you're over water? Give the thing a chance!!!

So, how does it RTH without GPS?

3⁄43⁄4Communication Lost
If it loses RC signal it will RTH. If it loses GPS it will autoland.

Man, I don't like that at all... IMO, if the drone loses both GPS and remote signal at the same time it should extend that landing procedure to at least 30 seconds to give it a chance to regain at least one of the signals. What if you're over water? Give the thing a chance!!!
Don't worry. Unless you are flyimg under trees or structure, probability is almost none of GPS disconnecting.

I have witnessed a "bug" twice where it starts in ATTI then gets a GPS hit and looses it going back into ATTI acting all kinds of erratic. It reads on the APP and controller, as if it were moving and climbing in altitude. "Shrugs" When it really is just setting there the whole time... lol some funny stuff!

As Apollo11capcom mentions: mine loses gps lock indoors all the time, but I never actually lift off, not enough room, i'll just start the props if I want to drain a battery or something.

Thankfully all I was doing was warming and checking voltages on new batteries after doing firmware upgrades -- with no lift off -- when I seen the errors:

p.s. I need to clean before I show anymore pictures like that! LOL

I opened a ticket with Autel support for a few various things, but felt maybe this one "bug" I've seen was related to what you experienced/explained???

I have witnessed a "bug" twice where it starts in ATTI then gets a GPS hit and looses it going back into ATTI acting all kinds of erratic. It reads on the APP and controller, as if it were moving and climbing in altitude. "Shrugs" When it really is just setting there the whole time... lol some funny stuff!

As Apollo11capcom mentions: mine loses gps lock indoors all the time, but I never actually lift off, not enough room, i'll just start the props if I want to drain a battery or something.

Thankfully all I was doing was warming and checking voltages on new batteries after doing firmware upgrades -- with no lift off -- when I seen the errors:

p.s. I need to clean before I show anymore pictures like that! LOL

I opened a ticket with Autel support for a few various things, but felt maybe this one "bug" I've seen was related to what you experienced/explained???

View attachment 3694
View attachment 3695
View attachment 3696
I was going to mention that but decided not to... mine does the same thing- reads that it's climbing when it's just sitting with the motors running indoors in ATTI mode.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RonalsBerigon310