Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

My 12 days old Autel Evo crashed

macoman

Reaction score
I need the help of the community to understand what happened to my autel evo that took off without issues and then got out of control with the warning inaccurate home point. The aircraft appear to be fine, only two props damaged. What do you guys need to get my flight data?

Video:

Last edited:
Can you give more details? Was GPS locked before flight? Did you perform a quick test of movements before flying away? Etc. please.

Can you give more details? Was GPS locked before flight? Did you perform a quick test of movements before flying away? Etc. please.

Yes, when the aircraft took off. I leave it for a minute to hover and was extremely stable and no beep sound. Then I decided to fly and when the aircraft was around 140 feet, the aircraft became unstable with inaccurate home point.

Last edited:
Sounds like a Fly Away. I've suffered from those twice. From my experience this happens when you take off near something that causes magnetic interference, like a big metal canister, car, etc. Basically it interferes with gps and compass and once the bird gets a correct reading, it thinks it's somewhere it's not suppose to be and tries to correct itself. Best way to correct from a Fly Away as you see it happen is to switch to ATTI and return home manually.

I understand that flying on ATTI is scary, without any assistance from anything, but knowing how to fly manually can get you out a rock and a hard place.

I found that buying a cheap altitude hold drone is a economic and secure way to learn ATTI flying, w/o risking our more expensive birds.

I understand that flying on ATTI is scary, without any assistance from anything, but knowing how to fly manually can get you out a rock and a hard place.

I found that buying a cheap altitude hold drone is a economic and secure way to learn ATTI flying, w/o risking our more expensive birds.

Totally agree with you . I have a 12" & 5" (Holy Stone) non GPS just to keep my skills up. They will keep you honest and a blast to fly around the yard.

Totally agree with you . I have a 12" & 5" (Holy Stone) non GPS just to keep my skills up. They will keep you honest and a blast to fly around the yard.
I am a proud owner of a Tello. To be able to fly 100' up in 14 mph winds and staying in place is just mind blowing. I took this picture there.2019-01-12 09-24-26.jpg
Recently flew a Falcon XY017. That thing held heigh pretty well, but the slightest breeze would take it away. I was teaching a friend how to fly it. Nothing like seeing a 40 y/o grown man running after his toy so it doesn't crash, instead of flying it back...

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
All updates current? Full charge on controller & battery? Temp &conditions? How were you flying?

The more details the easier to diagnose.
Firmware current but battery was only 70% charged. I used it previously. Temp was around 45F, 5 mile winds. Now the weird thing that I saw when I was flying is that the camera appear to be no stabilized... Pointing to a side. No sure why. I had three successful flights in this machine and no sure why it didn't work right.

I remembered that I installed the latest firmware... 1.3.3.25.

Did you update each battery as well? Some people say that last firmware update did NOT have any update for the batteries, but I did each battery manually just to be safe. I did notice after my update that the drone had a tilted horizon and was acting a bit weird, so I brought it back and recalibrated the gimbal, then shut it down and rebooted it and checked all of my settings to make sure they were the same. It's been fine ever since. As someone stated it could have been magnetic or electrical interference, but the RC will generally show when it's detecting magnetic interference on it's display.

Reactions: macoman
Mmmmm... Very weird. I didn't update each battery manually but how you do it?. Question... Does anyone ever fly from inside of a car? Does flying inside a car can cause a magnetic field issue with the aircraft? Because this is why I had a crash yesterday but appear to be that only a prop was damaged. I inspected the aircraft stability and camera and looks normal.

Reactions: Ansia
Mmmmm... Very weird. I didn't update each battery manually but how you do it?.

There is a flight deck video on YouTube explaining how to manually update the firmware. You have to load the new update bin file on the micro SD card, then insert it in to the Evo and boot up the controller and the bird. The controller will show the process and instruct you. When you are done, insert the next battery and repeat the entire process for each battery. (Shutting the RC and the bird off each time) These updates do not take near as long as the initial update that was prompted by the Explorer Application. Make sure you load ONLY the Bin File and nothing else on the SD card. I reformat the SD card after each upload of the new firmware for each battery.

Reactions: macoman
Mmmmm... Very weird. I didn't update each battery manually but how you do it?. Question... Does anyone ever fly from inside of a car? Does flying inside a car can cause a magnetic field issue with the aircraft? Because this is why I had a crash yesterday but appear to be that only a prop was damaged. I inspected the aircraft stability and camera and looks normal.
With all due respect, why in the hell would you fly from INSIDE a car?

I believe @mixchief is trying to say is that flying from inside a car is a bad idea. The car itself is a magnetic field that will interfere with your signal. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Reactions: Phillyjon
I believe @mixchief is trying to say is that flying from inside a car is a bad idea. The car itself is a magnetic field that will interfere with your signal. It's an accident waiting to happen.
That's why the drone went out of control and crashed. I guess is a lesson learned guys.

Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller