Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

mp4 viewing issues

ne0031

Reaction score
I shot a few videos in 8k and can't view them in "regular" players (VLC 3.0.16 for example) on Windows. I can play them in the Explorer app and I can import them into editors and view them as well.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I shot a few videos in 8k and can't view them in "regular" players (VLC 3.0.16 for example) on Windows. I can play them in the Explorer app and I can import them into editors and view them as well.

Has anyone else had this issue?

This is pretty normal, VLC cannot play anything over 4K and if the video is H.265 that eliminates many other players as well. Your best bet could be to try 5KPlayer, I use that to play videos shot at 6K from my EVO II 6K so it may be able to play 8K as well.

VLC 3.x brings 8k support for HEVC/X265. I can view other 8k video. It could be a minor tweak in which codec exactly is used?

I tried 5k, it at least gives me the first frame, but won't play it either.

Bah! Such is life on the bleeding edge.....

VLC 3.x brings 8k support for HEVC/X265. I can view other 8k video. It could be a minor tweak in which codec exactly is used?

I tried 5k, it at least gives me the first frame, but won't play it either.

Bah! Such is life on the bleeding edge.....

Yes its kind of comical, everyone wants more resolution, more bit depth, more editing flexibility but with all of that comes larger files, higher data rates, and fewer ways to edit and play the footage. I have VLC 3.0.4 and it will not play the 6K files out of the EVO II 6K.

VLC on my Mac will play my 6k videos.
dimensions: 5472 × 3076
codecs: HEVC
color profile: HD (1-1-1)
duration: 01:10

"VLC 3.0.16 is currently the newest version available."

I've given up on "5K". :(

Reactions: 365 and a quarter
I have had the same problem from the start. I do have very powerful computers and video cards but no luck with 8k and 6k and 4k is sketchey. I had to settel for 2.7k and am OK with that until I challenge it again. I have used QuickTime, Media Player Classic, Cyber-Link Power Director, Windows 10 Video Editor and tried a lot of programs from the web. The best results have been sticking with 2.7k video and all the programs and views work good.
I have a 2021 EVO II 8k drone.

With 6K and 8K normal playback will be stutter/sketchy unless you have a graphics card & drivers & display and enough CPU to handle. However, pull them into rendering sw (e.g. resolv, filmora, etc) and you should have no issue rendering them down to 4K or lower. I can play 4K @ 60 fps on my laptop, however 6K and 8K can be sketchy until rendered.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy