Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

More racist fearmongering as US Gov threatens to ban DJI drones

spicynujac

Reaction score

I give this a <1% chance of passing, but it is a sign of where things are politically in the USA. This seems to be led by US Reps Marco Rubio and Ron DeSantis. Hopefully just electioneering with the upcoming 2024 US presidential elections.

Of course it's patently illegal and entirely impractical to do, and after selling so many (millions?) of devices, I can't see how they can outlaw them at this point. It's also not legal to target a specific company instead of a broad ban. You can't force people to use one product and not another, like saying "Only Wonderbread can be bought--you can't buy Dave's Killer Bread because we hate Dave for his ethnicity."

Plus unlike the Huawei "ban" they aren't just talking about banning sales, but even operation of the device! Imagine if they tried to prevent all Americans from using Huawei phones or watches (or 5g as almost all 5g equipment was made by Huawei until recently).

Even if this passed, it would not be good for Autel. The competition between Autel and DJI is what pushes each one to innovate and add new features.

It's weird how in these woke times, it's still ok to be overtly racist and hateful towards the Chinese.
Of course, it's totally silly that "because product X made in China, therefore it's evil." Not to mention practically everything is made there anyway.

The whole thing is extremely fake n ghey.

I give this a <1% chance of passing, but it is a sign of where things are politically in the USA. This seems to be led by US Reps Marco Rubio and Ron DeSantis. Hopefully just electioneering with the upcoming 2024 US presidential elections.

Of course it's patently illegal and entirely impractical to do, and after selling so many (millions?) of devices, I can't see how they can outlaw them at this point. It's also not legal to target a specific company instead of a broad ban. You can't force people to use one product and not another, like saying "Only Wonderbread can be bought--you can't buy Dave's Killer Bread because we hate Dave for his ethnicity."

Plus unlike the Huawei "ban" they aren't just talking about banning sales, but even operation of the device! Imagine if they tried to prevent all Americans from using Huawei phones or watches (or 5g as almost all 5g equipment was made by Huawei until recently).

Even if this passed, it would not be good for Autel. The competition between Autel and DJI is what pushes each one to innovate and add new features.

It's weird how in these woke times, it's still ok to be overtly racist and hateful towards the Chinese.
Of course, it's totally silly that "because product X made in China, therefore it's evil." Not to mention practically everything is made there anyway.

totaly ignorant and uninformed response shows your bias..
trying to call the race card for attention and approval is showing in itself your racism.
how about leaving that out and argue about the REAL reason for considering the ban ? like maybe security concerns ??
like maybe contributing to genocidal practicises ?
like maybe contributing to represion of freedoms ??
NONE of the reasons consider race,,that is a fantasy and hope in your own mind to give your sick opinion validation..
If you cant leave race out of it you have an invalid point.

I would never buy a DJI Drone again after I got screwed with the DJI Vision+. I agree with Rubio and Desantis, we should not be dealing with Communists and slave labor.

totaly ignorant and uninformed response shows your bias..
trying to call the race card for attention and approval is showing in itself your racism.
how about leaving that out and argue about the REAL reason for considering the ban ? like maybe security concerns ??
like maybe contributing to genocidal practicises ?
like maybe contributing to represion of freedoms ??
NONE of the reasons consider race,,that is a fantasy and hope in your own mind to give your sick opinion validation..
If you cant leave race out of it you have an invalid point.
My thoughts as well. This has nothing to do with race so anyone bringing it into any conversation has rendered themself ineligible to have an opinion.

Reactions: BoiseJim
I don't see race as the issue here. It is national security, as it is with so many chinese products. I don't care what someone's race is. If Canada had the same authorian government as China, I would worry about their drones (and social media apps and network equipment etc.).

Why is this a race issue?

I want evidence of the risk/danger, which I have not seen yet. But I'm not ruling it out because of "racism".

Take a look at what the Chinese government is doing to the uyghurs and then compare it to what Rubio is doing.

Reactions: Dfly and nil

Your whole post is extremely uninformed n emotionally unstable.

As a "ghey" republican, I guess I have the ability to understand more details than straight democrats? For the sake of discussion, I think the current ban on federal government use of DJI and other similar risk profile brands is prudent and correct. Banning consumer use would be unreasonable and punitive. And will also never happen.

Last edited:
As an individual with strong China ancestry (including family members employed by the Chinese govt in the motherland), I have no objections to DJI ban (or any other China product) in the USA if there exists that reasonable security risk is involved. China's govt has for a long time demonstrated their ability and practice of covert burrowing and hindering freedoms which we in the USA value

Last edited:
I believe the Federal government should handle this issue for Federal agencies and state governments should handle it for the state agencies. Neither should have the power to ban it for the ordinary consumer IMO.

Here's another opinion video that just came out in the last 2 hours:

Reactions: spicynujac
Your whole post is extremely uninformed n emotionally unstable.
Well, it's a news item. I assume some were informed by it. If you already knew about it, kudos. "I already knew about this" is not something people come here to read.

I think we can all agree that one anonymous internet commentator attacking the assumed emotions of another anonymous internet commentator is boring and not of interest to the general readership. This proposed law has nothing to do with "me" and will pass or fail regardless of whether "I" post, or even know about it (or whether "I" even exist, or just am an AI re-posting news items here). Let's stick to objective items that are of interest to the general readership here. Anyone who wants to make ad hominem statements can do so via private message if you find it relieving, but let's not clutter the board with it.

There are some here who seem to prefer censorship and control by government of what products they can buy. That's a surprising thing to hear from the drone community, and I'd hope that they are a minority, but regardless, it's important to see those views here, as well of those who want to buy the best planes period.

Echoing what someone said above--if DJI drones are bad because they are built by Chinese, are Autel drones also? Are we to forgoe all hobbiest flight because the products are made in a country of people that we [some] don't like?

It reminds me of the silliness during the Iraq war where people were pouring out French wine and rebranding "freedom fries" because the French (wisely) did not want to invade the middle east. And how Yuri Gagarin is no longer a hero because of border conflicts in the former USSR decades after his death. (Only this would be a step further by imposing such views on the entirety of society).

If one doesn't want to fly a Chinese drone, he will probably need to find a new hobby. Perhaps one could maybe fly some type of glider, but I kind of doubt it. But you'll find yourself living out in a cabin in the woods if you really try to eliminate products produced by the Chinese.

And preventing others from flying their Chinese drones is an impossibility.

A few have posted the line the deep state loves to echo: "National security" but there is no explanation how my nation is less secure if I fly a Chinese drone. This is the type of commentary that is worth exploring, and presumably the only valid reason for preventing the public from buying a product (it is either harmful to them, or to others). But one should be able to lay out this argument coherently and rationally without emotion or fearmongering.

TLDR; refrain from me me me you you you in posting
If there are reasons why China drones are bad, discuss them instead of echoing talking points.

Last edited:
I'll play devil's advocate since there's no counterpoint presented yet.
Here is an example of what DJI does that Autel (hopefully) doesn't.

But it's not really different than what most social media apps do, and it's hard to argue this is worthy of a ban.

I am new to drones but I stayed clear of Chinese drones due to rumored backdoor they can record anything through your camera. True or not I bought the V3 Eco Ii and find out it is from China also. However it is not restricted for flying like the other. Maybe I should buy a drone made in the good Ole USA.

I am new to drones but I stayed clear of Chinese drones due to rumored backdoor they can record anything through your camera. True or not I bought the V3 Eco Ii and find out it is from China also. However it is not restricted for flying like the other. Maybe I should buy a drone made in the good Ole USA.
This DJI fear based ban has always baffled me. Nothing has ever, EVER been proven. Even if it were true, what info off of your drone are they going to be able to use? Also, think about this: DJI was the first company to voluntarily, totally on their own, install geofencing in their drones. Why would they do this if they were trying to get video or whatever information from "sensitive areas"? As far as personal information, what are they going to get from you? Nothing they did not already get when you registered your drone and paid with your credit card. I'd like to know what information those that put this ban in place think DJI was getting that would compromise the security of the USA?

Reactions: romi
This DJI fear based ban has always baffled me. Nothing has ever, EVER been proven. Even if it were true, what info off of your drone are they going to be able to use? Also, think about this: DJI was the first company to voluntarily, totally on their own, install geofencing in their drones. Why would they do this if they were trying to get video or whatever information from "sensitive areas"? As far as personal information, what are they going to get from you? Nothing they did not already get when you registered your drone and paid with your credit card. I'd like to know what information those that put this ban in place think DJI was getting that would compromise the security of the USA?
I agree. I think this is more political than based on facts.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller