Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Lost Connection

It is possible that your EVO is taking a direct path back to you and that path includes flying behind buildings, hills, etc. It is also possible that your Return to Home (RTH) altitude is set too low and it drops down to a much lower altitude which will cause you to lose the connection if the drone is far away.

Personally I never let my hands leave the controls when flying and always return manually using RTH as an absolute last resort such as due to signal loss. I would never use RTH on a regular basis. The Obstacle Avoidance (OA) is not perfect and cannot see power lines and small tree limbs, so it is entirely possible that you will lose the drone one day while it is returning to home.

You can reduce the risk by increasing the RTH altitude, but like anything automated, there's no guarantees.

RTH and OA are great tools to help out with the flying process and I use them for that vs. relying upon them. Will do RTH and even an autoland now and then for practice, likewise will sometimes turn OA off when out in wide open areas and no obstacles to get better performance.

Have not seen a RTH not work, even with signal loss/lost connectionl; however have seen the opposite where get a lost connection/weak signal with aircraft in vlos, press RTH and aircraft starts coming home, signal strength improves, continue to land manually.

How far away were you when you pressed RTH and could you see the aircraft/drone?

Were you around buildings in an urban environment, or trees, or out in the open?

Was your app/device phone on or in airplane mode?

What do your logs show (upload them to air data, setup a free account), from there you can see your signal strength during the mission, as well as other sensor status. You can also replay the mission and see where signal loss occurs, rth invoked, etc.

If your RTH height is high enough where you are not going to bust up through your airspace ceiling, and no obstacles, try turning off OA to see if it starts moving. Otoh, if the aircraft encountered an obstacle, check your logs, check maps of the area and see what was happening.

Hi Robert. Welcome to the world of drone flying! A couple of other things that my have effected your video signal. Make sure that the antennas are parallel and pointed up or down at about 90-deg to a line between you and the drone. How far away were you when you lost the signal? Were there any trees between you and the drone? Did the video signal come back when the drone got closer to you? How's the summer down under? I'd love visit there sometime.

Reactions: gschulzuio

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials