Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

light house in storm..

xval

Reaction score
Hurricane just passed, still big waves, but flyable winds. I waited for long time for this opportunity. Spent three batteries flying around early in the morning before work. :) It'll take months for another chance like this.

PS: This was low tide, on high tide it would be more impressive, but I had no time.
PPS: video out of the camera in 6K, EVO II Pro. Needs color grading at least. and some work to put fragments together.

Thanks, here is a list:

. As storm passes by there may be a short window between the weather too bad and the waves too low. In my case it was just one day. It was raining the day before and back to normal the day after. There may be no window at all.

. Dress accordingly, you will be staying still in strong wind for long time.

. Do the home works, find the right light house(s). Preferably on a small rock in the open. I have two of them that I know of withing 2 hours drive. Find access points. You can use google maps. For that one in the video there is just one access point about 1.2 km away. The rest is private property.

. Then wait, check the weather reports and buoys readings from here:
National Data Buoy Center

. Not all waives are equal. In several minutes there I got only 3 big waives, but they were like 3-5 times bigger than average.

. As usual pay attention to the wind directions and remaining battery. Don't try to squeeze the maximum time, or you will never see your drone again. Plan to land with 5 min left. I my case LH was upwind, thus it was relatively safe, easy to get home.

. You may want to upgrade your remote to get better signal at long range.

. Don't forget about your own safety. I got a salt water bath on my way back as a huge wave broke over the barrier. Have a nice video of this, was tracking myself.

Hope that helps :)

PS: Forgot about the light house location, It's south RI

Great Video, super timing and amazing control. Really tough to get just the right moment. You have a lot of patience!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials