Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Late to the party newbie

sup

Reaction score
Title says it all. I have a X-Star that I use with my LG3 Stylo. I've flown it a few times in the backyard but that's about it. Now that I am retired, I would like to really start flying out on the mesa. I would like to get a tablet so I can see all the info available on the screen. I assume I need a tablet with WIFI. Any recommendations or input? Or maybe a website that will hold my hand and educate me?

Thank you, Ken

Hey Ken and welcome! Better late than never! Just like my response!
I use an Nvidia Shield K1 and love it. You'll never get a screen "bright enough" though.

Oh and whatever you decide to fly with. You don't need wifi "unless you want maps to work properly". A lot of people actually put their phones or tablets into airplane mode as not to be bothered by anything while flying.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Welcome! Lots of good stuff on this forum. With a little practice, you'll be cruising around the mesa in no time! Send pics soon! :)

I found a used Samsung Note 8" at a local pawn shop that I use. My XSP package came with 10" tablet, but that was too bulky and heavy for me.

Thanks everyone.

I should clarify, I have the X-Star, not the Premium, so I assume I need WIFI. Putting phone in airplane mode would not work for me from what I understand. Also, all of the recommended tablets I have found on the net are basically used, is that a non-issue?

The only thing Wi-Fi is needed for on your phone or tablet is to download maps. The controller is connected through the USB port and only serves as a transmission line to your phone or tablet. The controller uses its Wi-Fi to talk to the X-Star. Yours being Wi-Fi will have limited range compared to the premium that uses 9 Ghz

The X-Star adopts a selfgenerated WiFi network, while the X-Star Premium utilizes HD video streaming to establish a live video link with the mobile app StarlinkTM as you fly.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

I should clarify, I have the X-Star, not the Premium, so I assume I need WIFI. Putting phone in airplane mode would not work for me from what I understand. Also, all of the recommended tablets I have found on the net are basically used, is that a non-issue?
It's a non issue if it's fully functional and compatible, which most phones or tablets should be nowadays. My shield k1 was about 5 years old when I bought it.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58