Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Landing on snow?

Robert_W

Reaction score
Thought I'd share in case it could help. Ive had enough flights now with this thing to be fairly comfortable with it.

A lot of times I will just hand catch it for landing. Well bringing it back in a few days back I was dropping it to me like Ive done many times. Only this time when it got to about 6 or 8 feet above the ground it didn't start to slow. It just dropped like a rock. It was directly over a snow bank in my driveway so luckly none the worse for wear. But something to be aware of. It was like it didn't sense anything. All I can figure is the bright sunny snow confused the sensor cause over anything else it works as it should and slows to a crawl before touching down.

Don't try this at home!

all drone flyers should have an inexpensive colourful and portable landing pad. hand catching is dangerous and so unnecessary.

Don't bring it down over you, bring it down a few meters away and then, while it's hovering in place, you approach and grab it. Downward sensors can fail, so break manually when you are getting close to the ground, don't trust the "auto brake". Used to the Air2S braking capabilities, I nearly smashed the Lite+ to the ground, I missed it for about 3cm, so pretty close.

On DJI drones you approach the hand from below, then the drone will detect it, climb a bit and then you pull the stick down and grab it.

On the Lite+ it doesn't go up when it detects your hand, so you just grab it and pull the stick down and wait about 3-5 secs till the motors stop.

Don't do the twist to stop the engines, it's just silly.

If I fly from my garden I usually take off from the table and then just hand catch it but on location I takeoff and land from the hand, using pads on location just attracts undesired attention to you. Smaller drones like the Mini 2 or the Nano are so handy that you can do it almost while walking.

Reactions: gophcc
To me hand-catching is easier and safer than landing on pad.

DARKSeifer has pointed out tips on catching. You may not want to follow the youtubers, some of them catch the drone at the horizon of face, quite scary.

I do have a landing pad for take-off, though.

Reactions: bkushner
To me hand-catching is easier and safer than landing on pad.

DARKSeifer has pointed out tips on catching. You may not want to follow the youtubers, some of them catch the drone at the horizon of face, quite scary.

I do have a landing pad for take-off, though.
I agree.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller