Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Keeping my EVO, but sad about it. (it is a jerky turner)

Thorazine

Reaction score
I’ve been an EVO owner for about a week now. I’ve flown it 4 times. Compared to my DJI P4P, I love the lack of restrictions and app crashes common with DJI. The geo fencing hassles of DJI are probably enough for me to keep the EVO. I also like the video quality much better than my ANAFI and Bebop.

My evo is on firmware 1.2.3.

However, the EVO has a problem that is heartbreaking to me. If it were not for the geofencing issues of DJI, I would just return the EVO for another DJI. As many users have mentioned, yawing (i.e. turning, and consequently any circle strafing [manual] or orbit mode[auto]) is jerky. I have spent hours now comparing it to my DJI footage and Parrot (Bebop and ANAFI) footage, and it is a night and day difference. Even my $40 Hubsan can circle strafe smoothly. The EVO yaw (and ORBIT mode) is awful. It was absurd before the newest firmware, but it remains very bad. This is a device for navigating 3D space, and it cannot turn smoothly. What is worse, is that apparently Autel customers have been complaining about this with the X-Star since 2016. I sent some footage in to AUTEL (on firmware 1.2.3) this week. They said not to worry, “the engineers are aware of it” and it will be addressed in a “future firmware” release.

I believe the problem is that the EVO does not yaw with “analog”-like smoothness, where each indiscernible increase in movement on the stick subtly increases yaw speed (like a DJI). Instead, it seems to have programmed increments that it jumps to. It’s hard to tell, but it seems to have 5-6 yaw speeds, where my other drones have so many I wouldn’t be able to count. I don’t know much about drone electronics, but they may be hamstringed by their ESCs or flight controller. Why else not fix it in 2 years? And you can't say its my piloting, bc my DJI and Parrot footage say otherwise!

I love circle strafing around points of interest, which looks awesome on my DJI and ANAFI. I’ll only be getting out my EVO as a last choice when I anticipate poor cell reception and too many “yellow” DJI zones to mess with. What a disappointment!

A side note. To fix (conceal) the jerky orbit mode, one option is to film in 4k 60fps, then play at 50% speed. The jerkiness is much less noticeably to me. Evo has a pretty fast orbit anyways.

I had an Xstar that I sold after a few month because of the yaw problem. When the EVO came out I thought I would give autel another try. Seems they can't get yaw right. I will wait for the next update, if that doesn't fix it then it will be the last autel drone I own. Hopefully the next update will come soon, not like the X-Star.

I have to say again... My Evo doesn't do this.
Can anyone else raise your hand if your yaw is smooth?

I'm suspecting a physical manufacturing defect, and if that's true needs to be returned ASAP.

Some people who say the firmware didn't fix their horizon tilt also say the yaw is jerky. Could they have a bad gimble?

Did you do the firmware update over the air or via the SD card? I have the same issues. Is there a way to go back to the default or out of the box configuration and try again? I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app or calibrating the compass. Just looking for a potential solution.

Did you do the firmware update over the air or via the SD card? I have the same issues. Is there a way to go back to the default or out of the box configuration and try again? I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app or calibrating the compass. Just looking for a potential solution.

Once you update it is a done deal. No rolling back the firmware.

Reactions: DadCorso80
The techs had me reinstall the firmware. I did it by SD card the second time. I also calibrated the gimbal and let it set for 5 mins. The techs at Autel thought that the observed problems were expected, and cannot be fixed until future firmware.

To be clear, the EVO can yaw smoothly at its set speeds. I can hold it still and yaw smoothly, spinning in a circle. I just cannot go from a very very slow spin to a very fast spin WITH precise, slow, and gradual change. When you have to yaw at a particular speed to match the strafe speed of the orbit to produce a circle, things go wrong. One pre-programmed yaw speed may be too fast, and the other too slow. So you end up jumping back and forth between them, creating a jerky look.

Does any one have links to a video of an EVO doing a large orbit (150-300 feet radius) at 60fps that looks smooth?

I can hold it still and yaw smoothly, spinning in a circle. I just cannot go from a very very slow spin to a very fast spin WITH precise, slow, and gradual change.

I agree with that 100%. It's like a stair-step instead of a smooth line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saks Drone Services
you can download the firmware to the evo's sdcard and when you start evo explorer app and it will reinstall it again.

Reactions: DadCorso80
Has Autel given anyone an ETA for the next FW update that will fix ALL the issues? The whole point of an aerial drone is to take great video. When I chat with tech support, all I hear is that they're aware but no ETA. Bummer. I can't pull the trigger unless all these bugs are fixed. No NFZ, Android Compatible and great customer service are the reasons I'd never buy DJI. I respect DJI's tech. The new Mavic 2's look awesome but my priorities still stand.

I'm suspecting a physical manufacturing defect, and if that's true needs to be returned ASAP.

Some people who say the firmware didn't fix their horizon tilt also say the yaw is jerky. Could they have a bad gimble?
Count me (or my EVO, that is) as a "tilt-free smooth mover." And, a happy camper. I sold my Mavic!

I have to admit I was confused by this post. I have only 1 flight under my belt, but I have dolly quality video. I was concerned because the controls where so sensitive, but once I got my grove everything is as smooth as butter.

Reactions: WayneH
I have to admit I was confused by this post. I have only 1 flight under my belt, but I have dolly quality video. I was concerned because the controls where so sensitive, but once I got my grove everything is as smooth as butter.

I am glad to hear that some members are not bothered by the turning performance, or it is not apparent on their videos! I am looking forward to seeing a video online showing this, so I can determine if mine is defective...

Does any one have links to a video of an EVO doing a large orbit (150-300 feet radius) at 60fps that looks smooth?

The orbit issue plagued the XSP as well and it was never addressed by Autel...we established an entire thread here to attempt a fix or work around but we were unsuccessful. Seems the problem is endemic to the product line and if you fly commercially this is a deal killer. It sounds like they ported the code over to the new product without addressing prior issues...very disappointing to hear this.

Reactions: strdr
You are correct yrless, this is why Kenneth AR said a update for the X-stars App might be possible after the EVO had come out because the EVO's firmware was based on the last X-stars release firmware. Of course he is not with the company anymore so I do not think we will ever see that App update for the X-star :rolleyes:

By the way how you doing buddy?

Hey doing well Augustine thank you....not as active on here as I once was because all my autel stuff is gone but I've been hoping for an improvement to the product line so I still hang around. This orbit issue is vexing because it's the one maneuver that displays how precisely the machine can fly...if it can't orbit smoothly there's not much use for the thing commercially. Why can't they get this right? My mini quads from Banggood running betaflight can manually orbit without a hitch.... I don't get it.

Ya I don't get it either, Autel just does not get it. I bought the Anafi just to see something different and it orbits ten times better then the EVO. Glad I never waisted my money on another Autel promised product that cannot deliver. The EVO makes pretty videos but heck we all did that with our X-Stars.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy