Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is the Nano+ worth $699?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dronescope59

Reaction score
Finding this on sale every other day on Amazon for $699. A lot of people don't seem very
satisfied with it. Looking for a real good low-light drone. Is it worth $699?

The app sky works on Android. But this drone is doomed. Wait for a outlet sale when Autel release nano 2

Depends what you need. If you want tracking feature just know that is not released (yet?).. It can take good photos and videos and has very good controller to aircraft signal strength.
The SKY app works just fine on my Moto G Stylus (2022) Android device but Autel has been very very slow to get FW and app updates released.. We assume they will get released...

i think older android phones have too slow a processor to handle the new Sky app, this is my issue using Galaxy 7, and 10a phones,

The App works fine on my Pixel 6.

The camera and gimbal are superb. Outstanding quality for the price.

The built-in functions all work well but it's missing the promised/advertised Track function despite this having been available in beta for 6 months.

The drone flies well and lives up to its various specifications.

Some of the manual is misleading, mentioning features that do not exist or do not work (record direct to phone, quick WiFi transfer being examples).

Autel need to address the missing functions, fix the manual and sort out reliability but remember that you only ever read about folk who have problems. The majority never write anything about their experiences.

If you can, buy the package with the additional batteries, carry bag, charger etc

Reactions: aryehb
yeah I needed to buy the battery charger for 3 packs, apparently you cannot charge a new batt off the drone..

I tend to agree with all of the above. This drone really is a game of swings and roundabouts. Is it annoying? Yes. Is it going to cause you frustration? Yes. Is it only a half-finished product? Yes. Are Autel dragging their arse with sorting out the problems with reliable and properly engineered firmware? Yes. Is the camera outstanding in low light? Yes.

If Autel put in the effort to polish this little drone into a finished and stable state: the camera alone would knock the DJI Mini3 Pro off its pedestal. If you are a serious photographer/videographer who knows how to set up a fixed aperture camera manually (and correct in RAW), the results you will get from the Nano+ XL724 will knock your eye out, especially blue hour/night shoots. It really is that good. Even now: with the camera firmware still without all the rough edges knocked off, it is worth putting in the effort to adjust for odd colour casts and chromatic aberrations. Just remember to UNDER expose any daytime shots by at least one stop.

I genuinely think that the Nano+ has the POTENTIAL to be a truly outstanding drone in the sub-250 gram class... as long as the manufacturer concentrates on getting it to the finished state it was promised to arrive in instead of diverting resources into creating the next series of drones they are planning to release. Autel Robotics need to get their existing products right before they throw another one out in the marketplace. They really need to develop a reputation for producing top-drawer reliable drones that do exactly what the marketing blurb promises - a loyal customer base is the foundation block upon which is built a stable business.

Do I regret forking out the hard-earned to buy one? Not yet.

yeah I agree 100%

problem with DJI, Autel is they're chasing each others upgrades.. if Autel would focus more on itself and one product, by making it better and fine tuning it. stop putting out new drones the current selection is enough, now try supporting them better

and keep parts supply maintained for the older units by atleast 8 years.. i would still be flying an EVO1 if wasnt for lack of support

Reactions: Felix the Cat
Buy a Nano + Preminum. I got one on ebay a couple weeks ago for 749.00. Make an offer to some of those sellers. I used Supergoodsusa.

Reactions: flyingfool
I noticed the price for nano+ premium bundle at local seller went from 850 to 1370 euro, and they're selling.

Finding this on sale every other day on Amazon for $699. A lot of people don't seem very
satisfied with it. Looking for a real good low-light drone. Is it worth $699

the company (autel) is dysfunctional in my opinion... if they took some time to get their act together... they would really be a competition for DJI... but in the meantime they don't even have tracking on the nano plus which they promised over a year ago...

satisfied with it. Looking for a real good low-light drone. Is it worth $699?
100% right... the company is dysfunctional in my opinion... if they took some time to get their act together... they would really be a competition for DJI... but in the meantime they don't even have tracking on the nano plus which they promised over a year ago...

Autel needed to return the money and be fined for illegal advertising and selling a partially functioning product

• Haha
Reactions: flyingfool
Autel needed to return the money and be fined for illegal advertising and selling a partially functioning product
Having worked in several companies where marketing flat-out lied about products, and having fought (and won) some battles about them, I'll tell you that's just how marketing people work. They are not motivated by honesty at all.
The engineers on the back end, do their (Mod Removed Language) every day to do the real work of making things reliable, safe, functional.
Try to understand what a hot mess any autonomous operation is. It's a truly intractable problem (as we see by Tesla accidents).
Consider the Nano for what it is. A great flying camera that goes where you fly it and points at what you point at, with very nice damped response so you can get smooth shots. I'd consider a DJI, except they don't go where I tell them to. So DJI is out.
The Nano+ packs this into a ridiculous government-mandated weight limit, and does it in a very robust package that survives quite a lot of abuse.
Value is subjective. If you have better alternatives for your subjective valuation, choose them.
Meanwhile, please do moderate the loud crying about a company that actually manages to produce a cool thing but fails to make it perfect and costless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rubik3x
Having worked in several companies where marketing flat-out lied about products, and having fought (and won) some battles about them, I'll tell you that's just how marketing people work. They are not motivated by honesty at all.
The engineers on the back end, do their (Mod Removed Language) every day to do the real work of making things reliable, safe, functional.
Try to understand what a hot mess any autonomous operation is. It's a truly intractable problem (as we see by Tesla accidents).
Consider the Nano for what it is. A great flying camera that goes where you fly it and points at what you point at, with very nice damped response so you can get smooth shots. I'd consider a DJI, except they don't go where I tell them to. So DJI is out.
The Nano+ packs this into a ridiculous government-mandated weight limit, and does it in a very robust package that survives quite a lot of abuse.
Value is subjective. If you have better alternatives for your subjective valuation, choose them.
Meanwhile, please do moderate the loud crying about a company that actually manages to produce a cool thing but fails to make it perfect and costless.
loud crying? it's about advertising skills that don't exist and making people pay for them. only that. please respect the opinion of others

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: trontar
loud crying? it's about advertising skills that don't exist and making people pay for them. only that. please respect the opinion of others
I agree it's wrong to advertise capabilities not shipping in current products, but I've seen it so many times... In particular in pharmaceutical products (cough). I just don't have the emotional response I would if it were unusual.
A quick websearch shows one site currently advertising "Dynamic Track 2.1" as a capability. Is this an official Autel site?
The official Autel fimware capabilities page here does not falsely advertise dynamic track for Nano+:
It seems Autel marketing was advertising Dynamic Tracking for Nano+ at a point when the feature was being worked on, then that last 10% of development ran into snags (as it often does!) and a decision was made that it was not robust and safe enough to enable in the shipping firmware.
If you find Autel *currently* falsely advertising Nano+ capabilities, please share a link here and fire off an email at Autel telling them to correct that.
[EDIT] And I'll add that dynamic tracking on a drone without obstacle avoidance sensors on all sides, along with massive computing power to estimate intelligent paths around 3D obstacles, is a recipe for crashes and (possibly unaffordable) customer service costs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy