Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is EVO II Pro Video Length Limited?

pwaitzman

Reaction score
I'm shooting a 2.7k 120 fps video on a preplanned path (using Dronelink). The video length should be approximately approximately 7:38. I've tried it twice and both times the video stopped at 4:48 (file size (3.674GB for the 1st attempt and 3.681 GB for the 2nd) and immediately restarted to complete the planned shoot. Is there a limit to video length or video file size? Can the limit be overridden?

Have not run into any video length issues with the E2 (8K) or E2P (6K) at high resolutions (e.g. 8K & 6K) or high frame rate (e.g. 120fps), other than filling up an microsd card (I use Sandisk extreme pro 64GB or 128GB). Keep in mind that if not familiar, you will see the long video "chunked" up into several multi-GB files which is pretty common across cameras/drones.

Couple things to check:
1. Are you storing videos to the internal aircraft memory, or, saving to microsd card? Keep in mind that the internal aircraft flash memory is size constrained.

2. Verify that your microsd card is large enough, and fast enough (e.g. like a sandisk extreme pro), and, that you have it formatted exfat.

Good luck.

Have not run into any video length issues with the E2 (8K) or E2P (6K) at high resolutions (e.g. 8K & 6K) or high frame rate (e.g. 120fps), other than filling up an microsd card (I use Sandisk extreme pro 64GB or 128GB). Keep in mind that if not familiar, you will see the long video "chunked" up into several multi-GB files which is pretty common across cameras/drones.

Couple things to check:
1. Are you storing videos to the internal aircraft memory, or, saving to microsd card? Keep in mind that the internal aircraft flash memory is size constrained.

2. Verify that your microsd card is large enough, and fast enough (e.g. like a sandisk extreme pro), and, that you have it formatted exfat.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned ... I'm using a SanDisk Extreme 128GB formatted in the EVO II.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned ... I'm using a SanDisk Extreme 128GB formatted in the EVO II.
No worries, double check that you are not inadvertently saving to internal storage. If in fact saving to microsd and getting error, then try formatting via windows as exfat and see if chat clears things up. If not, then there are other issues.

No worries, double check that you are not inadvertently saving to internal storage. If in fact saving to microsd and getting error, then try formatting via windows as exfat and see if chat clears things up. If not, then there are other issues.
Yes, definitely saving to the SanDisk. No errors, just the split files.

Yes, definitely saving to the SanDisk. No errors, just the split files.
Ok, so if shooting 2.7K @ 120 fps and say for 8 min video, you should end up with multi files (e.g. the video gets chunked) of around 3.5-3.7+ GB each (depends on what the camera chunks them out at). As a point of reference, 4K @ 60fps generates about 1GB every two minutes. If there are no errors, you should be able to play one video, then the next and so on, when you edit/post process, you can stich them into one stream. Otoh, if you are not getting the multiple files per long video sequence, and/or there are errors, then something else is wrong.

I'm shooting a 2.7k 120 fps video on a preplanned path (using Dronelink). The video length should be approximately approximately 7:38. I've tried it twice and both times the video stopped at 4:48 (file size (3.674GB for the 1st attempt and 3.681 GB for the 2nd) and immediately restarted to complete the planned shoot. Is there a limit to video length or video file size? Can the limit be overridden?

This comes up many times, Autel and DJI drones both do this at least the last time I checked. This is to reduce the chances of corruption for the entire video if one of the segments gets corrupted, so this is by design. My GoPro also does the same thing. Basically, it is a safety precaution in action cameras and drones due to the increased chances of data loss due to vibrations, battery issues, etc.

If one of those segments ever gets corrupt but the rest of the video is fine you will be glad this feature is built in. When editing later just post all of the files to your timeline and they will seamlessly line up.

Personally, I never hit this limit because I rarely record more than 60 seconds of video at a time. None of my cinema cameras do this and I end up with massive file sizes, but they are not action cameras, they aren't designed to be shaken and thrown around and they have many more buffering and data error checking features in place that drones and action cameras do not have.

Last edited:
Reactions: garycsan
im the type of person who starts recording video at take off and it records for the entire flight and stops when i land. under no circumstances do i get a single video clip (file) which is longer than 5 minutes. at the end of day, i probably get 10 files on the microsd card.

That is intended on a sort of two-fold basis. The most "useful" reason is it prevents corruption of the entire video should an unexpected error occur, which I can attest to saving my footage many times. If you were wondering however, the reason file size is capped where it is, is that it still constrains to the FAT32 format max file size limit of around ~4GB. So if for some reason your SD card is still formatted in FAT32, it will still be compatible with it.

That is intended on a sort of two-fold basis. The most "useful" reason is it prevents corruption of the entire video should an unexpected error occur, which I can attest to saving my footage many times. If you were wondering however, the reason file size is capped where it is, is that it still constrains to the FAT32 format max file size limit of around ~4GB. So if for some reason your SD card is still formatted in FAT32, it will still be compatible with it.

Most drones these days format the card as exFAT so the size limit is long gone. Cameras that do it solely for file allocation table limits typically cut it off at 4GB chunks when they detect FAT32 and keep going with larger file sizes when they detect exFAT. FAT32 is still the most compatible of all formats though. I have one camera that can chew through over 1Gb/s; that would be a real PITA with FAT32.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy