Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Introduction from Baltimore Md.

Jack-Bot 110

Reaction score
Hi all,

About a week ago I was in my local best buy looking for the price of a few things and out of curiosity I wondered if they sold drones and which ones they had. Noticed that many required/forced software updates before you could even start to use your drone. I was not impressed by that and then noticed that the Autel Evo was one which did not prevent usage out of the box.

Having 30 minutes of flight time, 4 miles of distance it could travel, and being a decent price this drone has my attention.

Not sure when I will pick one up yet but this looks to be a good start and one that is not held back by forced updates, or geo fencing which is another issue I have read about.

I do wonder if I must register it even if I just want to mess around in my front and back yard though just to try it out.

Welcome to the forums.

By law you have to register every drone above 250g. It's just a $5 every 3 years, so it's not that bad.

Well that is fine, $5 is nothing, that is dirt cheap.

Looking to get the Autel Evo rugged bundle, might be as soon as 2019 black friday or 2019 cyber monday depending how good the deal is.

I do wonder if I must register it even if I just want to mess around in my front and back yard though just to try it out.
You will QUICKLY outgrow the confines of your front and back yards! :) That would be like taking your dog for a walk every day in your yard. LOL You gotta let that 'pup' run and have its freedom.

I do suggest that once you start flying your aircraft farther and farther to gain confidence in its dependability that you select locations where flying in straight lines over fairly open terrain will allow you to retrieve the drone if for some reason it goes down. Keep it over terra firma to begin....just to be safe. Afterall you are essentially breaking it in, just like a new car. A defect could show itself after a bit of time.

Another thing for EVO is just because you can fly with just the RC controller, that equipment doesn't run the Explorer app and therefore there is no flight log to review if by chance something does happen to the drone during flight. The Explorer flight log on your phone or tablet will give you last known coords that may help track it down as well as determine what might have gone wrong.

If you have pretty much decided to get a drone, Black Friday is a long way off. Waiting that long to save perhaps only enough to buy an extra battery may not be worth missing out on flying right now while weather and environmental conditions remain suitable for flying. Especially living in MD. I found my drone deal on Amazon so shop and analyze all the various packages and pricing. I got a great price on the drone, soft case, 3 batteries, props, cables, RC, charger and two micro SD cards (32 and 64GB) for less than individual components. I will add that the soft case that comes with the EVO in the regular package is a very compact and efficient transport system. It can even be carried on your belt or with shoulder strap. Going with the rugged bundle is going to give you a suit case to pack around. Not the greatest thing when hiking or traveling to flying locations or even moving around to different spots during your flight. The soft case can carry 4 batteries (1 on drone), the cables, RC controller, extra SD micro cards, navigation strobes for night flight, and the drone in a minimal profile. And even fits a smaller size tablet or any cell phone in the back compartment.

Lastly, spend some time getting to know and understand the LAANC system the FAA has developed to allow recreational and commercial drone pilots to receive authorization to fly in restricted, not prohibited, airspace. Your east coast area is going to have lots of locations that have uncontrolled airports to become aware of as well as many restricted area airports that will allow you to fly with authorization. Google LAANC, AirMap and Kitty Hawk. LAANC is going to be your best friend for cutting through the red tape to fly in a great many locations.....literally taking only seconds for approval or denial.

Get ready to enter a very rewarding and enjoyable hobby! Welcome aboard!

I can wait for black friday and cyber monday for a few reasons.

1. I just started a new job that pays better then the old one and have a few things that are must have items in my line of work for my safety/peace of mind. No issue with the work but only a fool goes in without the right equipment.

2. My other hobby is also expensive somewhat but it’s pretty much linked to my job, my hobby and job compliment each other.

3.Looking for the best deal for a hard case for storage and if I drop it(things happen), already seen I can get a carry/on the go for cheap.

4. I do not plan on any drone flights until spring time, got plenty of other things that trump it for this moment.

I strongly recommend you take the Part 107 certification before you use your drone for work. If you don't plan to fly until Spring, take your time during the winter and take the test. It's not hard at all. You just need to apply yourself and study.

Well no Evo 1 for me, going to get the Evo 2 when it comes out instead which is said to be in Jan. 2020.

Glad my new job is going well, and I really hope the first Evo 2 reviews are good.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy