Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Interesting discussion going on about the FCC laws

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
In the Yuneecpilots forum there is a discussion going on about people modifying there antennas on the RC to something that actually works better. Now the problem seems to be that not many of us ever considered the FCC in the bigger picture. I know I have modded almost every RC controller's antenna to optimize its signal. According to FCC law under
15.203 Antenna requirement.
An intentional radiator shall be designed to ensure that no antenna other than that furnished by the responsible party shall be used with the device.
What matters is Part 15.203 which clearly states you cannot change an antenna to one that was not used at the time the original device was certified. It does not matter what the FAA, or anyone else other than the FCC, thinks relative to the antenna. It is the FCC that specifically prohibits changing the antenna from the one used to certify the device. FCC fines can run up to $10,000 for every single time you turned on your device with an illegal antenna.
My question is this, would that stop you from modifying your RC with a better antenna?
What are your thoughts?
Wondering how much of a risk you are willing to take to have a better connection. :)

I have a Mavic Pro platinum and soon I will own an Autel Evo. I honestly don't need or want to modify anything. These two aircrafts provide more than you need in relation to distance.

WOW, I never really thought about that, but it does make perfect sense. Every mod to a commercial airliner, even a simple additional antenna must be certified by the FAA in the lab and in flight.
Modding an RC antenna was something I did as much for safety as for more range. After one incident I had with a runaway bird, I never wanted to loose contact again. Max range was not that big a deal. Controlled, somewhat extended range free of interference was my main goal. Why does the FAA allow the mods to be openly sold??

It does not matter what the FAA, or anyone else other than the FCC, thinks relative to the antenna. It is the FCC that specifically prohibits changing the antenna from the one used to certify the device.
Part 15.203 is crystal clear. Also see Part 15.204.
Many don’t understand the distinctions between the FAA, FCC, and how advertising terminology would be used to separate fact from fiction in a court of law.

It does not matter what the FAA, or anyone else other than the FCC, thinks relative to the antenna. It is the FCC that specifically prohibits changing the antenna from the one used to certify the device.
Part 15.203 is crystal clear. Also see Part 15.204.
Many don’t understand the distinctions between the FAA, FCC, and how advertising terminology would be used to separate fact from fiction in a court of law.
Duh, too early, too cold, interchanged FAA with FCC, you’re right my mistake!

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
It is warming up this afternoon they say to around 35F but could also have some freezing rain which is no fun. Starting to snow right now or else I would be out flying the UAV's while its warmer then normal for this time of the year.

I’ll hopefully start flying Sunday. I had several plumbing issues which are so much fun when it’s freezing (as you well know). I have 2 outdoor stucco and 4 big dry-wall holes to fix. Slab foundations, who’s idea was that? :(

I’ll hopefully start flying Sunday. I had several plumbing issues which are so much fun when it’s freezing (as you well know). I have 2 outdoor stucco and 4 big dry-wall holes to fix. Slab foundations, who’s idea was that? :(
That's how they do it in the desert. Try digging a hole there. It just tries to fill back up. In my 9 years or so Appraising houses there I only came across 3 homes that had a basement.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
I’ve never experienced freezing rain. It doesn’t sound fun.... Stupid question. If it’s freezing, it’s ice right? But not hail. I’m so confused, lol

LOL. Rain that basically freezes pretty well instantly after it lands. Makes trees look very pretty in the sunlight but can do a ton of damage.

Ahhhhhhh, yea, it adds tons of weight to trees, they come down doing tons of damage or worse..... I think Ag posted a picture of a tree coming down on a neighbor’s house last winter, scary as hell...

Ahhhhhhh, yea, it adds tons of weight to trees, they come down doing tons of damage or worse..... I think Ag posted a picture of a tree coming down on a neighbor’s house last winter, scary as hell...
Yeah he did and you nailed it.

That's how they do it in the desert. Try digging a hole there. It just tries to fill back up. In my 9 years or so Appraising houses there I only came across 3 homes that had a basement.
Yea, I totally get it now, after I tried to dig a small hole. If makes plumbing issues a nightmare though. Older soft copper piping expands and contracts like crazy here, so pipes in the ground (not as bad a problem under flooring, but still an issue) gets pinhole leaks rubbing against a grain of sand that get worse until your patio floods. We fixed it without steam hammers, but not easily.... And, having heard flat roofs are awful my entire life, they’re idea here especially w/ silicone treatment, & maintained...

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials