Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Insurance. What do you folks use? Is there a preferred company? What are you paying?

House Forasken

Reaction score
This might be a good time to talk about insurance for these. What do you folks use? Is there a preferred company? What are you paying?

TIA!

This might be a good time to talk about insurance for these. What do you folks use? Is there a preferred company? What are you paying?

TIA!

51 drones had a pretty good video on insuring your drones through state farm, I checked into it andit is really pretty good and fairly cheap, once I get all my stuff togather ai think I will visit my local agent and get the ins policy on all my drones

Reactions: House Forasken
From the very limited knowledge I have of the coverage one of the stories I remember was a fellow who had a DJI mavic 2 that decided to go for a swim in the Florida oceans and he received his cash the next day. One week later divers found his Mavic and they did not want it back. Your millage may very. ;)

This could get a little long this is my direct conversation with my local agent , I don't know if rates differ for different parts of the country but here it is

Thank you for your interest in State Farm! We do have great coverage with our Personal Articles policy.

There are a few things that we would need including; a copy of the purchase documents the brand & model of the drone and its related components. They cannot be used for business or weigh over 55 pounds.

If the camera on the drone was purchased separately, we would need that information as well.

Our Personal Articles policy’s have a minimum premium of $60 a year. Right now with $2000 in coverage for the drones your premium is at $25, but would be charged the $60 minimum. We like to ask if you have anything else that you would like to cover on that policy to “get your money’s worth” since there is $35 left of premium that would be charged. We can cover jewelry, sporting equipment (golf clubs, fire arms, fishing gear etc.) musical instruments, cameras, fine arts, collectibles etc.

Let me know your thoughts and concerns, I am here to help!

Thanks

My responce to my agent is
NICE

A couple questions

1. Is there a deductible ?
  2. Crash into tree do you cover repairs or replace
  3. Falls in the river and is gone forever do you replace
  4. Is there a limit ? Like will you replace the same drone multiple times if I lose it more than once
  5. What dollar amount do I need to get to to take advantage of the 60 dollar premium
state farm

There is no deductible needed. This policy is meant to replace/repair what you are insuring. Multiple claims are not something insurance companies want to see. If multiple claims are made, the likeliness of the policy cancelling would be great, especially in a short amount of time.

The dollar amount is different for different items you would like covered. If you did $2000 for the drones, you could add $4000 in jewelry, $4600 in Sports Equipment, $2200 in Cameras, $7800 in Musical Instruments coverage to meet the $60 premium. (Just to name a few)

So thats pretty cheap for a year of coverage for repair or replace

So, best bet is not to crash it. Lolol. I am going to make an airbag for my drone. Patent coming soon.

AMA membership comes with a lot of insurance, is anyone here a member and do you know any details about how or if AMA member insurance works with drones?

I have State Farm in NJ. Pay $52/yr no deductible. Insure EVO, remote, accessories, tablet, rugged case, etc. Only covers repair or replacement of covered items - does not cover liability. Also I believe the is a disclaimer in there that if using the drone/camera for compensation it wont be covered - I'll need to pull out my policy to give the specific verbiage.

Also curious about AMA liability insurance for members. Heard it was approx. $85/yr membership and provided over $2M in coverage - just not sure the details behind that.

Thank you for all the feedback. It seems State Farm is the only company offering a Personal Articles Policy which can be purchased separately.
Does anyone know of or use other insurance companies which offer this?

so, got some information about AMA and it does cover drones and drone pilots are welcome to join and enjoy the insurance benefits.
Full "ADULT" Membership:
  • Age 19-65 - $75
  • 65 & over - $65
  • Under 19 (as of July 1st) - Free
  • Additional family members - $38 Benefits:
  • $2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
  • $25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage
  • Model Aviation monthly magazine
  • Access to members only section of website
  • Ability to fly at thousands of AMA chartered club sites with appropriate club membership
  • Toll free customer service – 1-800-I-Fly-AMA (435-9262)
  • Always comply with the AMA Safety Code.
This is copied straight from their website. I know they cover drones too because it's listed on their Facebook page
I am thinking State Farm for the personal articles replacement insurance, and the extra $75 per year is not bad for all the liability and medical insurance that's included with AMA.

so, got some information about AMA and it does cover drones and drone pilots are welcome to join and enjoy the insurance benefits.
Full "ADULT" Membership:
  • Age 19-65 - $75
  • 65 & over - $65
  • Ability to fly at thousands of AMA chartered club sites with appropriate club membership
This is copied straight from their website. I know they cover drones too because it's listed on their Facebook page
I am thinking State Farm for the personal articles replacement insurance, and the extra $75 per year is not bad for all the liability and medical insurance that's included with AMA.

Do you still have to be a Physician to join and get this policy?

Full "ADULT" Membership:
  • Age 19-65 - $75
  • 65 & over - $65

But I don't see where it covers "fly aways, crashes, or lost drones." Only fire, theft, and vandals. :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles